“shearings 5 day holiday”

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 26 January 2013

My husband and myself both think this is the best Shearings hotel we have stayed in.(and we have stayed in alot of them over the years) Everyone that works in the hotel were very helpful and polite and nothing was too much trouble. When I couldn't get onto the internet on my i pad (I haven't had it long) a lady there soon saw I was struggling and got other staff members invoved to help me out. At first the bedroom and bathroom was very cold but by the next morning they had warmed up lovely (too hot at times we had to turn them down) We couldn,t fault the meals and there was plenty of choice for us. The organisation in the dinning room was very good and as there was plenty of tables for two people if you wanted to sit on you own.

Room Tip: our room was 105, we didnt have a very good view but as we didnt stay long in the room in the daytim...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gwendoline r
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Hi, What a compliment............we do try our very best to ensure as many of our guests as possible feel the way you do about our Hotel. Of course, we have our moments, but more often than not this Hotel functions in a consistent fashion that encourages customers to book again and again. Your comments really do motivate the team and I am very grateful for the post.
I remember you checking out and you taking the time to praise us at the desk which also means a lot.
See you again
Regards

Reviewed 23 January 2013

My husband and I visited this hotel last february and enjoyed it so much we decided to go back with friends this January. We travelled with Shearings and had a superb driver called Gordon who was a mine of information and helped to make our holiday. We arrived at the hotel on a cold Monday afternoon to be greeted with a warm welcome from reception. We had upgraded to a scenic room. The room we were given was fine, but there was a problem with the bathroom and the door was faulty. We went down to report this and as there wasn't another scenic room available, the very helpful deputy manageress upgraded us to a deluxe which was very nice. In fact we found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant was good. Breakfasts were excellent with a good choice. The cooked breakfast was very good and of good quality. There was always a choice of three different starters, mains and dessert at dinner, so something for everyone including vegetarian. It was a shame that cheese and biscuits is no longer on the dessert choice though you could pay extra for this and no fresh fruit, though there was plenty at breakfast. On two nights there was entertainment on, a good lady singer and a folk singer with guitar. The room does get full at this time, but there are other quiet lounges you can sit in. Also free wifi is available.Pitlochry is a lovely little place with plenty of places to walk and lots of very nice teashops. Do try to walk up to Moulin, just a short walk up the hill from the hotel. It is worth looking in the graveyard for the crusader graves and up to the ruins of the Black castle. Then finish with a pint of real ale (superb according to my husband!) in the pub there, which has its own micro brewery behind. All in all this was a superb value break with the £25 hotel credit per person paying for our bar drinks. Our friends were really impressed with this hotel too and we will definitely return. We were lucky with the weather as it was cold with snow covered vistas but bright. Might have been different this week with all the snow. Whatever the weather you will get a warm welcome at the Pitlochry Hydro.

Room Tip: Scenic rooms have good views. Deluxe are bigger and have better bathrooms.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank maxicanon

Hello there, I like the title of your review.... comfortable and friendly ! We are ! So many people make the same observation but sadly they don't tell trip advisor! Well I am delighted everything went well on your recent trip and you enjoyed our facilities and those that are available around our beautiful location.
Hope to see you again and thanks for taking the time to post your comments.
best regards

Reviewed 11 January 2013

I've just got back from a most enjoyable four night stay at the Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, I was staying on a half board basis. On arrival, staff were very friendly and helpful and after registering my luggage was taken to my room. The food was excellent, breakast started with a choice of cereal's, pastries, then a cooked breakfast of your choice, with tea or coffee, evening dinner was 3 course with a choice for each. The Hotel has a heated swimming pool, Jacuzzi and a sauna, all in all, I have a most enjoyable break and you'll find ample to do in Pitlochry.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Norman S
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Hello there, what a lovely review to kick off 2013 and I hope we have many more like it. It really does mean a lot that you have taken the time to post following your stay. I'm not sure where you are but I am sat here with a full Hotel of guests who can't get very far due to the small matter of three foot of snow outside. Having said that we have perthshires finest snowman on our grounds and some stunning views to look at.
Cheers and all the best for 2013

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Spent a great hogmanay weekend here. Staff were wecoming and friendly,food was very good,room was large as was ensuite.Decor was fresh and clean and the facilities, especially the swimming pool and gym, were well appointed with pleasant staff in attendance.
The hotel is well placed for access to Pitlochry town although some people may find the steep hill difficult. Very good value for money.

Room Tip: ypu can upgrade to superior ordeluxe room but ordinary room was fine and well heated.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fiona M

Hi, Just back from holiday myself and am delighted to return to positive reviews, one of which is yours. I'm so glad your Hogmanay celebrations went well and all the key aspects of your stay were firmly in place.
Hope to see you here again at some point in 2013.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

We returned to the Pitlochry Hydro at the weekend after a gap of several years. We were on a DBB package which was extremely good value. The hotel has been transformed; new decor; new management and first class service from the restaurant staff. In particular we were served over the two days of our stay, we discovered, by a first class mother and daughter team who were just outstanding and made our stay really enjoyable. The menu we were on was simple and the food very good. The restaurant manager was very obliging and 'on the ball'. We had a very good big room with view over the hills which was very warm inspite of the bitterly cold weather. The spa facilities were excellent, although the pool was slightly on the cool side for me and the changing facilities were a little cramped. Reception staff were friendly and checking in and out were quite painless in comparison to other hotels we have stayed in. So if you have not been to Pitlochry Hydro for a while then I can certainly recommend it. It is hard to beat for value for money.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room. I don't know if they are all big rooms on the ground floor but ours...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Win_Hornby
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2012

Hello and thanks for a lovely review......it's cheered us all up and particularly Ildi, Barbie and Frank in the Restaurant. We have changed our format over the last few years from how we used to do things but I've been here for the last thirteen years now and hope to be here for a little while longer yet.......At least until the men in white coats come for me!!! Sorry it has taken a while to respond but I have been away on a course and have since been getting organised for Christmas. Thanks again for the review and I hope you and all our customers who read these pages have a lovely Christmas and a Happy New Year for 2013.
Best Regards

Reviewed 4 December 2012

Arrived on a Friday for dinner, bed and breakfast. Food very good and hotel very nicely decorated and comfortable. A little cool as public rooms are very large, but not very cold. Our room was very warm and comfortable and had lots of lights, a hair dryer, trouser press, and bathroom essentials. We had booked the theatre and on Saturday enjoyed show. Spent Sunday touring round Aberfeldy and Tummel then on to Grandtully and back to Pitlochry. A bit icy but sunshine all day. Very enjoyable. Saturday night had an excellent entertainer with people dancing to his music.

Room Tip: We paid a little extra to have a scenic room
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1Normand1
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Hi, Glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and the Hotel ticked all your boxes. I went to see the show at the Theatre too on Sunday and thouroughly enjoyed it......
Hope to see you again at some point and thanks for taking the time to post a positive review.....they make such a difference to morale.
Best Regards

Reviewed 3 December 2012

Things all started to go wrong the moment I arrived at Reception. I had booked a late deal via the Late Rooms website to stay two nights at the Pitlochry Hydro. However, despite booking via Late Deals, the Pitlochry Hydro had no record of my booking. It turned out that someone had failed to enter my booking into their system. Thankfully, after a ten to fifteen minute wait, I was allocated a room but no apology for the wait. I was almost made to feel that the error was my fault - as I was simply then handed a key receiving no information at all about the hotel, breakfast, leisure facilities, etc.

The hotel itself, was quite good. The room was clean and tidy and of a decent size.
The leisure facilities were a bit mixed - the pool, spa and sauna all excellent but the changing rooms and showers in need of renovation.

I was awoken twice during the night by the most almighty noise. I have no idea what it was but it had the whole room literally shaking including the pictures on the walls! Not sure if there is some kind of boiler room near to the bedroom.

The breakfast was superb and the staff serving breakfast were also good.

So now back to poor Reception service.

On checking out, I was asked if I could wait. However, I was then given the go ahead to leave as the hotel had my bank account details via my Late Rooms booking.

I received a telephone call the following day advising that the hotel had incorrectly charged for my stay, having charged me an additional £55 for someone else's Dinner. I was told that it was to quote "Good News" that I was being refunded. Cheeky, given they had overcharged me for a meal I never had. No real apology given.

I would have given this hotel 3 or 4 stars had the Reception service not been so awful.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank MountainBagger

Hello,
Well I will take this on the chin and accept responsibility for the confusion. We handle around 40,000 bednights here and so very few have the experience you have had. It was simply down to us not handling your late room booking properly when usually we are completely organised on that score. I'm glad the overpayment was identified by us and despite your experience I respect the fact that you noted that otherwise you would have scored us higher.
Hope this has not put you off staying again ...... this is a very rare complaint.
Regards