“A Mixed Bag”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
London, UK
“A Mixed Bag”
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I stayed here with my sister-in-law for the Etape Caledonia. The location is great for the event as it's close to the Town Centre.The hotel was also very accommodating in terms of allowing bikes in the rooms.

I'd agree with other comments that the rooms are a little dated but acceptable and comfortable. There were a couple of cleanliness issues, eg quite a lot of food spots on the wallpaper next to our table at breakfast one morning and areas in the bathrooms that need a spring clean. It was generally OK though.

Service is also a little "dated". The staff in the restaurant are friendly but because they are so scripted, it's lacking in a bit of character. Also, seating people at tables next to each other rather than spreading them around the dining room and then hovering meant that we felt a little rushed rather than relaxed. We had to ask for the waiter to give us 10 minutes after he'd come back twice to ask about dessert even though we'd said we wanted to wait.

One point around service. We were asked if we'd like a newspaper in the morning when we checked in and I said Yes. The next afternoon I went down to reception to say that I hadn't got my paper and was told that I should have gone down to reception to get this, but in a way that implied that of course I should have known this. Well, every hotel I've stayed in anywhere else in the world from Premier Inns upwards have delivered this to your room, ie left it outside your room either in a bag on the door handle or on the floor. Now, I wouldn't have minded going down to Reception to collect it, but it might have been an idea to tell me that I needed to do that. On top of that I was then told that I couldn't get the cost of the paper put on to my bill but that I would have to pay cash for it (at the time I didn't have my wallet on me) - huh? you're a hotel, you're charging me for extra food and drink already, what's the big deal - and what about Service? Similarly, we asked for a number for a restaurant in the town. Most reception staff would probably think to ask if we'd like them to make a reservation for us, but not here - in fact the lady behind reception actually forgot to get the number for us and we had to ask again for it. Small things, maybe, but they just lowered my opinion of the place in terms of Service.

Food quality is OK, but could be better - the scrambled egg that we had for breakfast was dry and crumbly, for example. We ate off the A la Carte menu as well as the Table d'Hote menu, again OK but if you're looking for a gourmet experience, there are better places in the town. To be fair, it's not trying to be fancy however.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Hi there, thanks for taking the time to post your comments. In the previous review I conceded that the Etape weekend is unique and outwith our usual comfort zone and I think all things considered we adapted very well and handled the demands of a very different customer. The minor criticisms will be looked at though some, like the payment of newspapers, cannot be changed as the Paper Shop collect their cash everyday.
Remember, we do have more modern rooms at a higher tariff than standard rooms but looking at some of the rates other Hotels were charging for Etape weekend I know that our product represents fantastic value.
Hopefully you will try us again next year...... even though we are a three star establishment we try very hard to deliver a four star service.
Best Regards and congratulations on finishing the race.
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Orkney
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We stayed at the Hydro for two nights when I was taking part in the Etape Caledonia. As other guest have stated the rooms are a little dated but clean and perfectly acceptable. The bed was comfortable but were woken during the night by a car alarm going off (which we were later told had done the same the night before) while not the fault of hotel I think they should have made the owner move it to the side car park away from hotel as on our last night I kept thinking it was going to go off again. We were on a half board deal and found the menu and food ok, tasty enough dishes but nothing outstanding and possibly a couple more choices would have been nice but you do have the option of having things off the A' la carte menu (at extra cost). The bar area is very nice and comfortable with nice seating to relax on. Staff on reception were excellent, the restaurant staff were very polite and attentive but as is very common in Uk these day a few language problems occurred. As i was cycling I had my bike with me, it was great that staff allowed me take it into to room to keep it safe.
Don't expect it to be 5 star as this is a hotel for bus tours and special deals but we had a super stay and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Front facing room was worth extra
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Hello, and thanks for a nice review. First of all congratulations for completing the Etape..... thats some achievement ! Our Hotel operates outwith our normal comfort zone for the Etape Weekend and we have worked hard to try and fall in line with the demands and requirements from a very different group of customers. I think we are just about there with how we operate but more consideration will be given to next years event to make it even better.
The staff enjoyed the atmosphere you guys brought with you and the challenge of keeping everyone happy and in the right frame of mind to tackle the race on the day. We spoke to the car alarm culprit more than once and were assured it wouldn't happen the following night !!! Mmmm !
Hopefully you will consider us again next year and your views will form part of my next meeting with the team when we talk about the weekend and how we intend to go forward with what we offer.
northumberland england
Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here again as a group, the staff were as usual friendly and helpful and did their best to please everyone. The public areas in the hotel are well decorated and comfortable and there is ample seating, however some of the bedrooms and bathrooms are a little tired and the beds past their sell by date, this is not unusual in such a big old hotel though.

We stayed on a Dbb basis and the food was fine, we did not try the al a carte menu so cannot comment on that. A bonus for this hotel are the leisure facilities and the fact they can accommodate large groups. The restaurant manager does a great job in keeping things moving and making sure everything runs smoothly, he does a great job and is always pleasant and helpful.

Tea and coffee is provided in the bedrooms and also a Hairdryer which is useful, the electric heating warmed the room quickly but had to be turned off as it could not be turned down, also electric heaters are not conjusive when trying to dry wet clothing and the hotel has no drying room despite being near a ski resort! Also the room was large but there was hardly any storage, 6 coat hangers in the wardrobe and 3 small drawers. Can never understand why hotels don't provide a couple of coat hooks in their bedrooms which would be most useful.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ableassistant
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Hello there, Thanks for your review on your recent stay and whilst there are plenty of positives in amongst it it's always disappointing to score any less than four stars. Frank is delighted with your comments and will take great pleasure in reminding everyone who will listen how fantastic he is ! Credit where credit is due !!!!
I'm sorry you felt the rooms let us down a little.....you may or may not be aware that we have a number of different catergory rooms that could be considered for future visits. Whilst the standard rooms are good value for money, in my opinion, there is no doubt that our superior and premier rooms are more modern and spacious with great views.
I will seek out the room you were in and sort out the coat hanger as soon as I can....you are right, that is annoying.
Thanks again for the review.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

A really pleasant surprise as it was a last minute trip and one of the reviews was not exactly glowing, I'm glad I ignored their opinion as it demonstrates that some peope are impossible to please. The hotel is lovely, comfortable and clean with a lovely pool from which their are great views of the pretty surrounding scenery, which I was lucky enough to have from my room also.

The service is efficient and the staff friendly the restaurant manager a character who as a woman travelling alone made me feel very welcome and comfortable. It appears that the staff feel a genuine pride in their hotel which is rare these days. The food itself was of a good standard piping hot and well presented, beer not bad either! Great folk singer too !

Room Tip: I was in a single 228 which was lovely very peaceful
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Annette F
Hi, thats a fantastic review and we are all so pleased you feel that way about us. I recall chatting to you about your holiday and it was lovely to hear that you were going to get a few of your pals together and come up with them later in the year. They say 'word of mouth' is the greatest way to bring attention to your product and I would probably agree with that.
Let us know when you are returning, with or without your girlfriends, and we will try and give you the room you were so complimentary about again.
Thanks again for the kind words.
greenock
Reviewed 6 May 2013

our room was really nice with lovely big thick quilt and pillows. the only problem was the shower as it had no pressure. the restaurant once again has improved with the quality and variety of food. the staff were their usual friendly self especially the reception staff. we will keep coming back to this hotel year after year.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Hello there, great news ! I'm glad you were nice and comfortable in your accommodation and I suppose we never stand still and are always looking to improve what we offer our guests. When customers make positive observations about the staff who work here it makes my job much easier as some of the motivation we all need is right here on these very pages.
Thanks for your comments, they really do mean a lot.
edinburgh
Reviewed 3 May 2013

returned to pitlochry hydro last weekend once again had agreat time
staff were great the hotel is looking a bit tired in places but what hotel isnt
in these hard times ,the rooms are very clean and well kept
the food once again was great the entertainment was first class.
i cant praise all the staff highly enough thank you all very much .
hope to see you all again soon

Room Tip: ask for room with view
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dennisEdinburgh
Hi there, Brilliant, I'm pleased you came back to stay and it was worthy of a five star review. This makes all the difference to us and the team will be delighted that you mention their service and how friendly they all are.
Thanks so much
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Situated above the town of Pitlochry with a steep walk for the elderly up from the town. A hotel a little jaded but trying very hard to provide good service. Choice of food on half board was very good the only complaint was at breakfast where the fruit juices were insipid. Waiter/waitress service was, I felt, too quick but staff very helpful. Where there was entertainment in the evenings it was good to very good. I was told that there were no rooms with walk in showers which later proved incorrect! The swimming pool looked most inviting. Shearings Coach Holidays has this as one of their better hotels.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Hello there, well it's disappointing to learn that we were not quite as good as you hoped. I note you have been complimentary in part but with a couple of small issues too.
We have only two rooms with walk in showers and both are Premier Suite rooms that carry a supplement charge.
Hope you will try us again and give us a chance to squeeze an extra star out of you.
Thanks for posting a review.