“A very pleasant stay”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
West Lothian
“A very pleasant stay”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This was a last minute booking and very good value. The food was excellent, the staff were outstanding, happy & friendly. My room was basic but had everything that I needed. I slept well, didn't hear a thing. The only down side was the £10 supplement for the privilege of a single room. I wouldn't have minded so much had the room been a twin. I am a bit fed up with being charged extra because I prefer to have a room on my own. However, it did not spoil my weekend. The manager should be proud of his staff especially in the dining room. 10/10

Room Tip: The room I had was very quiet as it was to the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank retiredWestLothian
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Hi and thanks for the review. Sorry its taken a little while to respond but I have been on a few days holiday and am now back refreshed and ready to go !!! kind of ! I am very proud of the team here who are always trying to give our customers the best holiday they can and far more often than not we get it right. I'm glad you liked the food and will pass on your regards to the chef.
I'm afraid it is the industry norm these days to have a small supplement for single accommodation and I hope that does not put you off booking again.
Best Regards
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

We have returned from a two night weekend stay at this hotel. Unfortunately there are far more reasons not to return to this hotel than there are to stay again.
1. The Superior Room (£50 extra) at £248 for two nights was disappointing. There was a definite stench within the room. I am not sure what this was but it was overpowering. Unfortunately this smell also made is way out to the corridor (room 225). As such there would be little use in asking to move. There was also a lack of facilities in the room. No fridge. No glasses. No wifi (the only available wifi was in the lounge downstairs - very frustrating and the free wifi advertised surely requires clarification. Without appearing petty - the tv was also miles away from the bed on the adjacent wall and as such you really needed to watch TV not lying in bed.
2. Lack of flexibility for the guests: I can't remember ever staying in a hotel where you had an hour and 15minutes window for breakfast and two hours window for dinner. Also very frustrating.
3. Inconsistent customer service: some staff appeared indifferent to us being there. A real shame as other staff were very friendly and helpful.
4. Breakfast was not great. In particular the watery weird tasting orange juice.

In fairness, some positives:
The leisure facilities were good and clean. A nice sized pool and a clean and effective jacuzzi and sauna. (the shower was no more than a dribble and there is no spinner for your soaking wet swim wear)
Ample parking to the front of the hotel or just right across the road in an overspill.
Lovely lounge areas that a clearly not long decorated and plenty if to do leaflets etc
Some staff were friendly and helpful.
Great location for the town just a 5 minute walk. If your relatively fit and healthy the small incline up to the hotel should present no problems but wouldn't fancy pushing a wheelchair.

Definitely not worth £250 for two nights. I would return to Pitlochry but would be looking elsewhere for better accommodation I'm afraid.

• Stayed July 2012
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Hello there and thanks for the review. I'm sorry things were not quite to your liking but I do appreciate you listing some positives which suggests you have given a fair and balanced review. At this mornings meeting I will go through your comments, as we do with all of them, and see where we might have got something wrong or could have avoided a three star review on this particular occasion.
Hopefully you will try us again and give us a second chance to impress you.
historyman
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This hotel is part of the Shearing holiday group, I have stayed in many of them but this is undoubtedly the BEST. On arrival you will find it is in a superb location on a hill overlooking the town and views to die for. Plenty of parking is available and extensive well maintained gardens even a small putting green. On entry we were delighted to find that the public rooms had been sympathetically decorated for a Victorian building, an excellent blend of modern and traditional. There is a large spacious bar and a comfortable games TV room, the restaurant is a pleasant room large but still comfortable.
We had a standard room which was light airy and spotlessly clean adjoining bath and shower (room 101) adjacent to lift. Upgrades to better rooms are available by we didn't feel any need to quite satisfied with the room.
Meals were great not fine dining (they don't claim to be) but nice tasty well presented food with decent portions great value for money.
The making of any hotel is it's staff and the staff here are excellent I can't praise them enough, everybody we met or had dealings with were superb. In the time we spend here I didn't here one customer complaint, and for a hotel dealing with coach trips this is very unusual.
If you are visiting this area or thinking of coming on a trip through Shearing don't hesitate book now you won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank pthistory
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Hi there and what a wonderful review to have first thing on a monday morning......things can only go downhill from here ! I recall chatting to you before you headed off and really did appreciate you positive comments about your stay here. I agree, we do not try to be a five star Hotel we just try to deliver as good an experience as we can and be as consistent as we can. I think our standard rooms are good value for money too and I am pleased you have mentioned that you were more than satisfied.
Hope to see you again and thanks again for a five star review that will thrill everyone here.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 5 day break at the hotel with Shearing's coach holidays.
This was our first visit to the Pitlochry Hydro and we were were not disappointed. The hotels location was great for us being a short walk into town. The food and overall service of the hotel staff was exceptional, by far the best todate we have ever been served on a Shearing's holiday The standard room was clean, well equipped and of a good size, the swimming pool, steam room and jacuzzi were a great addition for relaxation after days out walking the surrounding beautiful countryside. Overall, definitely the best yet for the price and would have no hesitation in highly recommending to family and friends. Special mention to Frank the maître d’hôtel, the chef's and the dining room staff, who do a fantastic job under lots of pressure, 5* hotels could not improve on the quality and service of the food served. well done and many thanks for a very enjoyable stay. Will definitely plan a return trip in the future.

Room Tip: For the best views from the hotel, I would recommend superior or premier rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T0ny58
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Hello and a massive thanks for such a glowing five star review. We are quickly closing in on 100 five star reviews which has been a goal of ours for a long time now. You mention exceptional service and value for money which are exactly the kind of statements we look forward to our customers making. Frank will be thrilled you have mentioned him personally as am I.
Best Regards and see you again.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

had a brilliant time here nice pool sauna jacuzzi i was in room 239 at night all you could here was the fan think the room was over the kitchen but when i put the radio on it was ok the room had a shower and a bath hotel foo great pint of Worthingtons £3.50 nice pint had a cocktail as well mojito well nice 10 mins in to town it is a bit of a killer getting back up the hill went to moulin one night good little pub there 8mins down the road the little town very quiet but not to bad overall old mill inn great little boozer oh and jeff are driver was brill went with shearing great

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank dantheman37
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Hi there, and thank you very much indeed for a five star review. It's a beautiful sunny morning here in Highland Perthshire, a perfect morning for reading that we are appreciated and our customers like what we do. I shall be in a good mood all day, I will make the tea for reception, fluff the towels for leisure, clean the pipes for the bar, boil an egg for kitchen......I'm getting carried away! But I will certainly go and let everyone know of your post.
Thanks very much, reviews like this are the best motivational tool I can use.
Lochwinnoch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My husband and I have just spent a very enjoyable weekend here with Caledonian Travel. The hotel is in an elevated position and quite a distance from the town but this did not detract from our enjoyment. The weather was the warmest, sunniest we have had this year so that also helped since our weather last month in Majorca was so bad.
Although part of a group we were treated as individuals and were able to choose our own mealtimes and have individual tables in the beautifully appointed, Refurbished Dining Room where the staff were most efficient and the food piping hot.
Our large room was on the second floor and although not refurbished was tastefully decorated with quality furnishings. The only downside was the shower which was over a fairly high bath and being electric was difficult to maintain the required temperature. I also attempted to have a bath but could not get any hot water to the bath although there was plenty of hot water for the wash basin.
There were adequate toiletries which were replaced when used plus tea, coffee etc. and shortbread which were also replaced daily.

Room Tip: The refurbished rooms are beautiful but obviously more expensive.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Hi, thanks for taking the time to submit a review. I was particularly pleased to read that you felt you were treated as an individual whilst on a coach tour. So many of our customers who travel by coach say this to me but very few mention it on trip advisor. We have long discussions about how we can best create and deliver that standard and believe we have become very good at it. Lots of customers benefit from the ease of travelling by coach as a group and the freedom once here to be individuals in terms of how you spend your time.
Thanks again and it is lovely to get recognition for what is a very important aspect of many customers experience with us.
Best Regards
carnoustie
Reviewed 8 June 2013

This was another of our many visits to the Pitlochry Hydro (our second this year) This is the most enjoyable place to be, great staff, superb service, you cant beat it.
We managed to get our favourite room again (126) So looking forward to our next visit which will around Autumn time.

Many thanks to Chris Stanton and his professional, but homely staff.

See you soon,Trevor & Valerie Morrison.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello there and thanks for your very kind words. It is really pleasing to hear from regular customers who appreciate what we do and are familiar with our day to day operation . A big thing for us is to remain consistent and deliver the same experience time and again and improve where we can as we move forward.
The staff will be delighted that you have recognised their hard work and great attitude.
See you again soon and remind us of your room preference when you book next time.
Thanks a million.