“Evening meals !”

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Stayed there with friends for three nights (from 19th April 2013). The staff were friendly and helpful with the the ordinary room allocated being reasonable value.

Saturday evening entertainment was a Scottish folk singer who was excellent.

The breakfasts were reasonable but the evening meals on all three nights were terrible. The service was prompt but it seemed that the meals were already prepared and probably plated. The food was just warm and rather tasteless. Some items in particular have to be recently cooked and my battered fish looked and tasted poorly.

I would advise anyone intending to stay at this hotel to book on a B&B basis

AM. Edinburgh

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 227Alan717
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Hello and thanks for the review. I've got a meeting with the kitchen team tomorrow and will mention the comments made. Our analysis shows consistent standards are recognised by both our internal recordings and the on line ones such as on here. Based on that data, and whilst you are more than entitled to report things as you found them, I would encourage customers to book half board holidays due to the great value we offer that are criticised only very rarely.
Food is a massive part of your holiday experience, it certainly is for me, and we will continue to work very hard in that area.
Thanks again and I hope you consider us in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed three nights in December and were slightly worried by reviews. However we had an excellent stay. Room was large and very comfortable. Bathroom really nice and again very spacious. Could not fault breakfast or dinner. Staff really nice and very efficient. Pool really good with nice sauna and Jacuzzi. Will definitely return and have just booked Portpatrick in two weeks for birthday celebration. Bar prices perfectly reasonable and public rooms very comfortable. The heavy snow on the Sunday just made everything everything look beautiful. Well done to all the staff and thank you for a wonderful stay. Just hope Portpatrick can reach the standard you have set on 26th July!!! Definitely recommend staying here and thank you again. Will be back at end of year for sure.

Room Tip: Request a top floor room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello and thanks for mentioning we are excellent value.....my feelings entirely. We have to be and an awful lot of work goes into ensuring this is the case. I'm confident you will not be dissapointed with Portpatrick.....it's set in a stunning location and the Hotel is lovely with some great staff who are very helpful and friendly. Having said that, don't forget about us, and I hope you return here at some point.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

This was a last minute booking and very good value. The food was excellent, the staff were outstanding, happy & friendly. My room was basic but had everything that I needed. I slept well, didn't hear a thing. The only down side was the £10 supplement for the privilege of a single room. I wouldn't have minded so much had the room been a twin. I am a bit fed up with being charged extra because I prefer to have a room on my own. However, it did not spoil my weekend. The manager should be proud of his staff especially in the dining room. 10/10

Room Tip: The room I had was very quiet as it was to the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank retiredWestLothian

Hi and thanks for the review. Sorry its taken a little while to respond but I have been on a few days holiday and am now back refreshed and ready to go !!! kind of ! I am very proud of the team here who are always trying to give our customers the best holiday they can and far more often than not we get it right. I'm glad you liked the food and will pass on your regards to the chef.
I'm afraid it is the industry norm these days to have a small supplement for single accommodation and I hope that does not put you off booking again.
Best Regards

Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

We have returned from a two night weekend stay at this hotel. Unfortunately there are far more reasons not to return to this hotel than there are to stay again.
1. The Superior Room (£50 extra) at £248 for two nights was disappointing. There was a definite stench within the room. I am not sure what this was but it was overpowering. Unfortunately this smell also made is way out to the corridor (room 225). As such there would be little use in asking to move. There was also a lack of facilities in the room. No fridge. No glasses. No wifi (the only available wifi was in the lounge downstairs - very frustrating and the free wifi advertised surely requires clarification. Without appearing petty - the tv was also miles away from the bed on the adjacent wall and as such you really needed to watch TV not lying in bed.
2. Lack of flexibility for the guests: I can't remember ever staying in a hotel where you had an hour and 15minutes window for breakfast and two hours window for dinner. Also very frustrating.
3. Inconsistent customer service: some staff appeared indifferent to us being there. A real shame as other staff were very friendly and helpful.
4. Breakfast was not great. In particular the watery weird tasting orange juice.

In fairness, some positives:
The leisure facilities were good and clean. A nice sized pool and a clean and effective jacuzzi and sauna. (the shower was no more than a dribble and there is no spinner for your soaking wet swim wear)
Ample parking to the front of the hotel or just right across the road in an overspill.
Lovely lounge areas that a clearly not long decorated and plenty if to do leaflets etc
Some staff were friendly and helpful.
Great location for the town just a 5 minute walk. If your relatively fit and healthy the small incline up to the hotel should present no problems but wouldn't fancy pushing a wheelchair.

Definitely not worth £250 for two nights. I would return to Pitlochry but would be looking elsewhere for better accommodation I'm afraid.

• Stayed: July 2012
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Hello there and thanks for the review. I'm sorry things were not quite to your liking but I do appreciate you listing some positives which suggests you have given a fair and balanced review. At this mornings meeting I will go through your comments, as we do with all of them, and see where we might have got something wrong or could have avoided a three star review on this particular occasion.
Hopefully you will try us again and give us a second chance to impress you.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

This hotel is part of the Shearing holiday group, I have stayed in many of them but this is undoubtedly the BEST. On arrival you will find it is in a superb location on a hill overlooking the town and views to die for. Plenty of parking is available and extensive well maintained gardens even a small putting green. On entry we were delighted to find that the public rooms had been sympathetically decorated for a Victorian building, an excellent blend of modern and traditional. There is a large spacious bar and a comfortable games TV room, the restaurant is a pleasant room large but still comfortable.
We had a standard room which was light airy and spotlessly clean adjoining bath and shower (room 101) adjacent to lift. Upgrades to better rooms are available by we didn't feel any need to quite satisfied with the room.
Meals were great not fine dining (they don't claim to be) but nice tasty well presented food with decent portions great value for money.
The making of any hotel is it's staff and the staff here are excellent I can't praise them enough, everybody we met or had dealings with were superb. In the time we spend here I didn't here one customer complaint, and for a hotel dealing with coach trips this is very unusual.
If you are visiting this area or thinking of coming on a trip through Shearing don't hesitate book now you won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank pthistory
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Hi there and what a wonderful review to have first thing on a monday morning......things can only go downhill from here ! I recall chatting to you before you headed off and really did appreciate you positive comments about your stay here. I agree, we do not try to be a five star Hotel we just try to deliver as good an experience as we can and be as consistent as we can. I think our standard rooms are good value for money too and I am pleased you have mentioned that you were more than satisfied.
Hope to see you again and thanks again for a five star review that will thrill everyone here.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 5 day break at the hotel with Shearing's coach holidays.
This was our first visit to the Pitlochry Hydro and we were were not disappointed. The hotels location was great for us being a short walk into town. The food and overall service of the hotel staff was exceptional, by far the best todate we have ever been served on a Shearing's holiday The standard room was clean, well equipped and of a good size, the swimming pool, steam room and jacuzzi were a great addition for relaxation after days out walking the surrounding beautiful countryside. Overall, definitely the best yet for the price and would have no hesitation in highly recommending to family and friends. Special mention to Frank the maître d’hôtel, the chef's and the dining room staff, who do a fantastic job under lots of pressure, 5* hotels could not improve on the quality and service of the food served. well done and many thanks for a very enjoyable stay. Will definitely plan a return trip in the future.

Room Tip: For the best views from the hotel, I would recommend superior or premier rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank T0ny58
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Hello and a massive thanks for such a glowing five star review. We are quickly closing in on 100 five star reviews which has been a goal of ours for a long time now. You mention exceptional service and value for money which are exactly the kind of statements we look forward to our customers making. Frank will be thrilled you have mentioned him personally as am I.
Best Regards and see you again.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

had a brilliant time here nice pool sauna jacuzzi i was in room 239 at night all you could here was the fan think the room was over the kitchen but when i put the radio on it was ok the room had a shower and a bath hotel foo great pint of Worthingtons £3.50 nice pint had a cocktail as well mojito well nice 10 mins in to town it is a bit of a killer getting back up the hill went to moulin one night good little pub there 8mins down the road the little town very quiet but not to bad overall old mill inn great little boozer oh and jeff are driver was brill went with shearing great

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank dantheman37
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Hi there, and thank you very much indeed for a five star review. It's a beautiful sunny morning here in Highland Perthshire, a perfect morning for reading that we are appreciated and our customers like what we do. I shall be in a good mood all day, I will make the tea for reception, fluff the towels for leisure, clean the pipes for the bar, boil an egg for kitchen......I'm getting carried away! But I will certainly go and let everyone know of your post.
Thanks very much, reviews like this are the best motivational tool I can use.