“Lovely Easter Weekend Holiday”

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I'm writing this review late as I've just signed up with Trip Advisor.

I visited this hotel during the Easter Weekend and had a lovely time. The public areas are very nice and the bedroom I had was ok. It wasn't an updated room, but wasn't offensive in any way. The bathroom was clean - nothing to complain about there.

The food at this hotel was very good indeed. I was really pleased with the quality and choice given. All the residents were given a little cream egg on Easter Sunday, which I thought was a nice touch!

I enjoyed the entertainment and I was pleased that there was wifi access, albeit only in the public areas. It would be better to have the signal boosted to reach the bedrooms too.

The location might not suit everyone as it's up a steep hill, but I managed fine - and I have lung problems. I just took my time going up.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back here for another visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Anne F
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Hi, I'm just glad that you have reviewed us and better late than never. These days we really do rely on customers telling others how good we are and particularly so on these very pages. I lose count of the customers who come to this Hotel and tell me how reassured they were to see positive reviews on here after they had booked their holiday.
Thanks again, and I'm glad you enjoyed your creme egg, naughty but nice !
Best Regards

Reviewed 22 July 2013

The first time at the pitlockry hydro what a suprise the best food we have had at any hotel the staff were brilliant always happy to see you and the head waiter has the dinning room running like a dream the swimming pool and hot tub were needed as the hotel is at the top of a steep hill my tip walk down taxi back would I go back yes as soon as possible a well run hotel

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello and thanks for a five star review......very good news! Thanks for commenting on the food so favourably, the Chefs will be made up and might, just might crack a smile and be nice to people for a whole day..... we live in hope ! With a headline saying 'Great Time' I believe we, as a team, have to take some credit from that.
Thanks enormously

Reviewed 22 July 2013

My wife, myself & two friends stayed at the Pitlochry Hydro Hotel for three days on a H/B basis. The hotel is well situated for exploring all the surrounding area, and equally well situated for just having a wander into Pitlochry itself. The hotel is set up a hill out of the town, it is easily found and offers plenty of parking availability if, like us, you travel by car. Check in was straightforward, the room was comfortable and clean, well equipped, and in my opinion offered good value. The food was obviously served to a budgeted price, but on Sunday evening (21/07/2013) I had a wonderful meal of roast beef, yorkshire pudding etc etc and it was exceptional! The choices of different meals are there for dinner & breakfast - anyone's tastes should be met. The age range of guests is in the higher numbers, but they are mostly a really friendly and gregarious bunch of people who are willing to try most things. The staff are mostly very friendly, they are willing to help and they are very professional in their approach. We tried the pool which is very clean, well kept and quite quiet - which was a blessing to us!

Room Tip: We had a standard room - great value.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Hello, really pleased to read that everything was ok and that you all enjoyed both the Hotel and the area itself. I'm glad you enjoyed the food and felt the staff were mostly friendly. I think I am lucky with the staff here because even the staff members who dont have massive smiles all the time (I've been told to cheer up more than once myself !) they are extremely efficient and good at what they do. I've decided that a smattering of different personalities is probably better than a bunch of grinning individuals who spend the shift 'out grinning' each other. I could be wrong but there is a subject matter there just waiting for Jeremy Vine to tackle.
Thanks for your comments, they are very welcome.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

This hotel is not terrible but not great either. It gives the impression of being very grand on the outside but to be fair to them it is a 3 star hotel not 5 star. Our bedroom was clean with modern decor but the bathroom was very dated.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Dinner from the fixed price three course menu was served very quickly, to the point that it was clear that the food was ready made up, waiting to be brought out. This was reflected in the quality which was ok but not particularly tasty or fresh. We were also told that we couldn't buy two glasses of wine as it came by the bottle. This drove the otherwise reasonable price of dinner up and left us with half a bottle of wine, but we had the top so could at least take it away with us.

• Stayed: July 2013

Hi and thanks for the post. Yes, you are correct..... we are a three star hotel charging three star prices and attempting to deliver a consistent four star service. I believe we are doing this but if a customer feels we or the product fall short of that we listen to what you have to say and look at what we might do about it. We do, of course, work to budgets and try very hard to get the best out of them.
Wine by the glass has to be sold using the house wine system otherwise we would have an awful lot of half empty bottles that may or may not sell and would therefore go off and would have to be thrown away which we cannot afford to do.
Thanks again for your review
Best Regards

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Together with a friend we spent 4 nights at the beginning of July. Couldn't find fault with anything. The food was very good indeed and regards the earlier comment about the full breakfast we found we only had to ask and were given without question, be it 2 eggs or 2 rashers of bacon, extra toast etc. Though for me it was lovely to be able to have the option of smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast. We appreciated being able to choose when we wanted to eat in an evening as we have never been in favour of a one sitting 6.0pm evening meal, but the system the hotel opperates enabled everyone to find a time to suit themselves. We had a standard room but paid extra for a view which was well worth it. The public rooms have been recently refurbished and are lovely as was the pool. In view of the price paid we thought it exceptionally good value and wouldn't hesitate to return both to Pitlochry and the Pitlochry Hydro.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Hello there and thanks for your kind words. A five star review lifts everyone I can promise you. I think we have things there or thereabouts when it comes down to the operation and the vast number of customers recognise that, however, we must listen to occasional criticisms and deal with them too.
I'm glad you feel that we are value for money too it's the best message any company can send out and it's a phrase that is mentioned often on these pages.
Hope to see you here again.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stay at the Hydro at least once a year and this time I have to say we were slightly disappointed. We booked a room at the front (extra for the view) and was disappointed to find that the room had still not been refurbished. It was clean enough and comfortable enough but does need upgrading. For example the heated towel rail is positioned that you have to sit side saddle on the loo to avoid banging your knees on the towel rail.

The staff, as always, as very nice but why is it every time that we go they are training new members of the waiting staff which makes for an interesting experience.

We also felt that the food had gone downhill slightly. For example, when I order a full Scottish breakfast I expect more than one sausage and small piece of bacon. Also for dinner we were in at the first sitting at 6 o'clock and one of the main course choices was not available with no alternative offered apart from choosing from the a la carte menu at extra cost.

So we will probably look elsewhere to stay from now on.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Hi There, One of the things we pride ourselves on here is the numerous returning customers who come back again and again as they know they can rely on us. I'm sorry to see that you were a little disappointed with your most recent visit and I will ensure that your next trip is an improvement. If you book with us direct we can make sure everything will be to your satisfaction and by all means contact me personally and we could discuss your last visit. Like I said, I think the one thing we have over many of our competitors is customer loyalty and it is very important this is maintained.
Thanks for your comments

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Stayed there with friends for three nights (from 19th April 2013). The staff were friendly and helpful with the the ordinary room allocated being reasonable value.

Saturday evening entertainment was a Scottish folk singer who was excellent.

The breakfasts were reasonable but the evening meals on all three nights were terrible. The service was prompt but it seemed that the meals were already prepared and probably plated. The food was just warm and rather tasteless. Some items in particular have to be recently cooked and my battered fish looked and tasted poorly.

I would advise anyone intending to stay at this hotel to book on a B&B basis

AM. Edinburgh

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 227Alan717
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Hello and thanks for the review. I've got a meeting with the kitchen team tomorrow and will mention the comments made. Our analysis shows consistent standards are recognised by both our internal recordings and the on line ones such as on here. Based on that data, and whilst you are more than entitled to report things as you found them, I would encourage customers to book half board holidays due to the great value we offer that are criticised only very rarely.
Food is a massive part of your holiday experience, it certainly is for me, and we will continue to work very hard in that area.
Thanks again and I hope you consider us in the future.