“Another great stay in a Shearings Hotel in Scotland”

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Aldridge, Walsall West Midlands
“Another great stay in a Shearings Hotel in Scotland”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We have recently returned from our 8th Shearing's Coach Holiday, six of which were in Scotland. We had seen the hotel on a previous day trip and was rather put off by its elevated position. We decided on a last minute break and thought we would give the Pitlochry Hydro a try. We are glad we did. We were pleased to see that our driver was to be Geoff who had taken us to Braemar last year. Geoff makes a good coach holiday exceptional with his knowledge and humour. You can't choose your driver but if you have Geoff you are lucky. We were in a good room with plenty of space with a bathroom that had a large corner bath and shower. We had a flat screen TV table and two chairs and a comfortable bed. I was intrigued with the luxury of the room that I asked the Asst. Manageress what standard the room was. I was told it was a standard room and would have been graded higher if it had had a view. It looked over a flat roof but as we spent so little time in the room it did not matter.
Food was good with a varied menu. The service was also very good. You were able to choose a time for dinner between 6pm and 8,30 the previous day but breakfast was when you arrive!
It would have been nice to have been seated with other guests but the policy was to give you your own table which differed at every meal.
We had two nights (Tuesday & Thursday ) entertainment which was good and there was plenty of seats for all the guests,
A couple of negatives. You could order newspapers but I did not see any for general use in the lounges as mentioned. The 'Library' consisted on 4 rather battered paperbacks. My final negative that I mentioned previously was the location at the top of a rather steep hill overlooking the town. Buses to and from the town pass nearby and taxis are available (£4)
I would recommend the hotel and the break was excellent value for money especially with a £25 p.p. in house credit which covered all the drinks that we wanted.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view have an extra cost but how much time do you spend in your your in an area of outst...
1 Thank Keith H
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Hi and thanks for your post. It has covered most areas and I am pleased that the staff, food, accommodation and entertainment were all good. You singled out Geoff and I have mentioned it to him, the problem is that now I have to be extra nice to him all week which he wallows in !!
You have also mentioned an area that has bothered me for years.....our wee library has a take one and put one back in system.....Mmmmm ! I calculate that we have put in around one thousand books per year and probably get about one hundred in return. Our local leisure members bring them in and all staff too.......I'm afraid you caught us on a bad week, I've just looked and there's fifteen now .... anyway, we used to do the same with magazines and they went walkies even quicker, having said that I nicked a National Geographic from the doctors surgery a few months ago because I hadn't finished the article I was reading. Shhhh keep that quiet.... so were all as bad as each other I suppose.
Thanks again for you comments and five star review, they really do make an awful lot of difference.
Best Regards
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

When travelling with a disabled person one is always a tad worried. However parking was ample, room although not adapted (which would have increased the rating)was situated on the ground floor, spacious and clean.
The chef was happy to meet my daughters dietary requirements, and the restaurant staff led by frank were super efficient.
Can't wait to return!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Hi and thanks for taking the time to post a review. I'm pleased to read all was well and that the Chef looked after you in terms of dietary requirements. I always enjoy seeing customers post that we are great value for money because I really do feel we are and so many people tell me that week in week out.
Hope to see you again for a return visit.
Walkerburn
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Tad worried about writing this as I want to go back!!! Market forces etc. I am actually lost for words! Fantastic hotel, fantastic staff, would definitely go half board next time as there will be a next time.
Met many lovely people there - staff, fellow travellers and coach drivers.
Congratulations Chris and staff and many thanks for a great holiday. May I take the liberty of also recommending a visit to Pitlochry Theatre to any prospective holidaymakers.
Roll on next year.
I do have photos but have to get a cable for my phone. Shall upload some when I do.

Ann

1 Thank Ann R
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Hi, delighted with your five star review as are the whole team. I shall look forward to any photos you may post, particularly if there is one of me on my own.......
The theatre is a great plus for Pitlochry and wows audiences week in week out.
I shall look forward to welcoming you back here next year.
Thanks again, your positive comments mean a lot.
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Back to the Hydro again for another 5 day break with Shearings this time just for a break without doing the coach trips. There was a small problem booking in because the hotel didn't receive the information from the travel agent but Chris the manager sorted it all out with in a couple of minutes.Again as before when we stayed at this hotel everything was perfect...It is impossible to name individual members of staff otherwise you would just have a massive list of names…What I can say is the staff are Passionate,Polite and Friendly. The pool,sauna and jacussi are just the thing for relaxing, enough of a choice with the meals,plenty of seating areas to get away from the crowd if that's your thing plus you get free WiFi…..A big thank you to all the staff and our coach driver Jeff

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi there and thanks for posting such a lovely review, that'll do for us ! I recall you mentioning that you will be back in January which is great and I am so pleased that your return visit here was every bit as successful as your last.
Thanks a million
West Calder, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Had a four night stay at The Hydro. We were very warmly welcomed by the manager Chris who was very pleasant and helpful.

The room was very clean and as for the food it was worthy of a 5 star Hotel.

The restaurant staff were very efficient, smiley and charming.

All staff were very polite and always had a smile on their faces.

Certainly will be going back and taking some of the family.

Thanks to Chris and his wonderful team

The Thackers of Breich

1 Thank Christine T
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Hello there, well that's lovely that you scored us all so well and it has certainly put a smile on all of our faces. It is also very pleasing to read that you would come again and bring people with you....that's what it's all about ! Not the Hokey Cokey !!
Thanks again for the five star review....we like them a lot.
See you again up here in Highland Perthshire just as soon as you like.
Best Regards
DUMFRIES
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We are just back from a 4 night stay at the Hydro, firstly the food was excellent and was the saving grace, if you want a drink in the bar you will have to go and look for a member of staff and if you are unlucky enough to get the manager you will wish you had not, in the 4 days we stayed not once did we hear or see a hoover and this was confirmed by the leaf on the stairs for the duration of our stay and by the crumbs on our bedroom carpet, bedroom window hanging in condensation and skirtings filthy, in the dining room your courses were fired at you to get you out and set up for the breakfast although I will add the staff in here were polite and the plus of the establishment, this hotel needs lots of work and a regular cleaning but it is obviously staffed by too few workers, food excellent but not a repeat visit given the standard of cleaning and the incredibly rude manager

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChippyDumfries
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Hello there, it's nice of you to mention how nice the food was during your recent stay. It is difficult to determine which room you were in but we have gone round all the rooms today, as we always do, in search of the problems you identified..... we found a few issues and of course rectified them immediately.
I'm sorry you felt I was rude, I cannot recall a specific moment when I thought I was rude to anyone last week but perhaps I was......sometimes you need someone to point it out and you have certainly made me think about it. I think everyone can have their moments but being rude is not a quality I want to be known for so I have challenged the staff here to point out if they think I am rude to anyone in the future. I occasionally go out and find people working with the general public to be very rude and I never like to see it even though on some occasions I can hardly blame them .......... so, the Hot Topic in this Hotel for the next month or so is Rudeness and for us to think about how we come across to our customers, me especially, and how to avoid it. Our customer care record on here is brilliant and I do not want to take that for granted.
best regards
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

this our third visit to the hotel and once again it did not disappoint.We stay in a superior room which is spacious and comfortable with a king size bed.We like to have one of the rooms with the spectacular views of the town and countryside. The management and reception staff are always helpful and professional always ready to chat and enquire about your day no matter how busy they are. The hotel is comfortable and spotlessly clean. The room was spotless and cleaned every day to a high standard towels changed and toiletries replenished. The food though not the best we have eaten is wholesome and is good value for money for the cost of the break. Just one negative one night we ate at 8 o clock and the meal we had was not good luke warm soup soggy plaice goujons which must have been sat around for hours and inedible potatoes and soggy cold veg. This apart all other meals including breakfasts were good and served by efficient smiling staff. I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to anyone it is a lovely hotel in a wonderful part of Scotland and is excellent value for money

Room Tip: request a scenic view superior rooms are well worth the extra money
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stephhec
Hi, and thanks for all your praise on our operation and the staff put in place to deliver the service you expect. Apologies that on one evening things were not quite right in the dining room....it is very important that the quality of our food is consistently good throughout the whole of service. We try very hard to manage this and avoid comments such as yours and I will look into how standards were not in place towards the end of service on that particular night.
Hope to see you on your next visit.