The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Atholl Arms Hotel(Pitlochry)(Great Value!)
US$132
Dundarach Hotel(Pitlochry)
US$176
US$274
Priceline
All reviewsself driveshearings hotelsscenic viewcoach holidaycaledonian travelshearings breakmanager chrisdining rooma la carte menujacuzzi and saunacoach driverleisure facilitiesfolk singerevening entertainmentsuperior roomhalf boardrestaurant manager
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We have recently returned from our 8th Shearing's Coach Holiday, six of which were in Scotland. We had seen the hotel on a previous day trip and was rather put off by its elevated position. We decided on a last minute break and thought we would give the Pitlochry Hydro a try. We are glad we did. We were pleased to see that our driver was to be Geoff who had taken us to Braemar last year. Geoff makes a good coach holiday exceptional with his knowledge and humour. You can't choose your driver but if you have Geoff you are lucky. We were in a good room with plenty of space with a bathroom that had a large corner bath and shower. We had a flat screen TV table and two chairs and a comfortable bed. I was intrigued with the luxury of the room that I asked the Asst. Manageress what standard the room was. I was told it was a standard room and would have been graded higher if it had had a view. It looked over a flat roof but as we spent so little time in the room it did not matter.
Food was good with a varied menu. The service was also very good. You were able to choose a time for dinner between 6pm and 8,30 the previous day but breakfast was when you arrive!
It would have been nice to have been seated with other guests but the policy was to give you your own table which differed at every meal.
We had two nights (Tuesday & Thursday ) entertainment which was good and there was plenty of seats for all the guests,
A couple of negatives. You could order newspapers but I did not see any for general use in the lounges as mentioned. The 'Library' consisted on 4 rather battered paperbacks. My final negative that I mentioned previously was the location at the top of a rather steep hill overlooking the town. Buses to and from the town pass nearby and taxis are available (£4)
I would recommend the hotel and the break was excellent value for money especially with a £25 p.p. in house credit which covered all the drinks that we wanted.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view have an extra cost but how much time do you spend in your your in an area of outstanding beauty?
1  Thank Keith H
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Hi and thanks for your post. It has covered most areas and I am pleased that the staff, food, accommodation and entertainment were all good. You singled out Geoff and I have mentioned it to him, the problem is that now I have to be extra nice to him all week which he wallows in !!
You have also mentioned an area that has bothered me for years.....our wee library has a take one and put one back in system.....Mmmmm ! I calculate that we have put in around one thousand books per year and probably get about one hundred in return. Our local leisure members bring them in and all staff too.......I'm afraid you caught us on a bad week, I've just looked and there's fifteen now .... anyway, we used to do the same with magazines and they went walkies even quicker, having said that I nicked a National Geographic from the doctors surgery a few months ago because I hadn't finished the article I was reading. Shhhh keep that quiet.... so were all as bad as each other I suppose.
Thanks again for you comments and five star review, they really do make an awful lot of difference.
Best Regards

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

When travelling with a disabled person one is always a tad worried. However parking was ample, room although not adapted (which would have increased the rating)was situated on the ground floor, spacious and clean.
The chef was happy to meet my daughters dietary requirements, and the restaurant staff led by frank were super efficient.
Can't wait to return!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Hi and thanks for taking the time to post a review. I'm pleased to read all was well and that the Chef looked after you in terms of dietary requirements. I always enjoy seeing customers post that we are great value for money because I really do feel we are and so many people tell me that week in week out.
Hope to see you again for a return visit.
Regards

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Tad worried about writing this as I want to go back!!! Market forces etc. I am actually lost for words! Fantastic hotel, fantastic staff, would definitely go half board next time as there will be a next time.
Met many lovely people there - staff, fellow travellers and coach drivers.
Congratulations Chris and staff and many thanks for a great holiday. May I take the liberty of also recommending a visit to Pitlochry Theatre to any prospective holidaymakers.
Roll on next year.
I do have photos but have to get a cable for my phone. Shall upload some when I do.

Ann

1  Thank Ann R
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Hi, delighted with your five star review as are the whole team. I shall look forward to any photos you may post, particularly if there is one of me on my own.......
The theatre is a great plus for Pitlochry and wows audiences week in week out.
I shall look forward to welcoming you back here next year.
Thanks again, your positive comments mean a lot.
Regards

Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Back to the Hydro again for another 5 day break with Shearings this time just for a break without doing the coach trips. There was a small problem booking in because the hotel didn't receive the information from the travel agent but Chris the manager sorted it all out with in a couple of minutes.Again as before when we stayed at this hotel everything was perfect...It is impossible to name individual members of staff otherwise you would just have a massive list of names…What I can say is the staff are Passionate,Polite and Friendly. The pool,sauna and jacussi are just the thing for relaxing, enough of a choice with the meals,plenty of seating areas to get away from the crowd if that's your thing plus you get free WiFi…..A big thank you to all the staff and our coach driver Jeff

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi there and thanks for posting such a lovely review, that'll do for us ! I recall you mentioning that you will be back in January which is great and I am so pleased that your return visit here was every bit as successful as your last.
Thanks a million

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Had a four night stay at The Hydro. We were very warmly welcomed by the manager Chris who was very pleasant and helpful.

The room was very clean and as for the food it was worthy of a 5 star Hotel.

The restaurant staff were very efficient, smiley and charming.

All staff were very polite and always had a smile on their faces.

Certainly will be going back and taking some of the family.

Thanks to Chris and his wonderful team

The Thackers of Breich

1  Thank Christine T
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Hello there, well that's lovely that you scored us all so well and it has certainly put a smile on all of our faces. It is also very pleasing to read that you would come again and bring people with you....that's what it's all about ! Not the Hokey Cokey !!
Thanks again for the five star review....we like them a lot.
See you again up here in Highland Perthshire just as soon as you like.
Best Regards