“Dissapointing”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Alexandria, United Kingdom
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed at the Pitlochry on sunday 1st December.Room (204) was very shabby.Paint peeling off
bathroom walls,shower had no pressure at all, rubber bath mat was filthy.
Bedroom carpet stained and room needed a good clean.
Public areas are nice and breakfast was served from polite staff
Changing areas in leisure club could do with an upgrade

Room Tip: Do not accept room 204
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 170Nell
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Hi, I'm sorry you had a few issues with us on your recent stay. We have tackled the problem in the bathroom during our short close down period and your other points will be discussed with the team at our meeting today.
Thanks for the review
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

It really annoyed me to read that someone recently likened this hotel to a 'nursing home' it most certainly is not!!

We went as a couple in our 20/30s and found it a great place and modern... Upon arrival we received a room upgrade, the manager couldn't be more courteous or helpful!

Very central to Pitlochry and bars/restaurants, nice swimming pool etc...

Again - staff service was impeccable especially Elaine at the front desk...

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clad19
Hi there and thanks for such a complimentary review. We cater for everyone here and you are right, it is a little unfair to be pigeon holed as something we are not. I'm glad you had a nice time and hopefully you will return again.
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Wow wow wow what a fantastic time me and my friend have had. The hotel is in a great location with fantastic amenities the staff couldn't do enough for us. The restaurant was superb, good choice of menu helpful and friendly staff could do enough for us. Entertainment first rate really enjoyed it. Swimming pool and sauna very relaxing after a busy day.
One of the best hotels I have been to with Shearings
Can't wait for are next visit.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Remus2013
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Hello, thanks for a lovely five star review and I'm delighted that you have already decided that you are coming back. We try very hard here to be consistent in what we do and how we deliver it so you can be rest assured and expect something very similar (not identical because that would be boring !) to what you have just experienced.
The team are delighted and more often than not they see these reviews before I do and it gives them a lift and spurs them on to the next set of guests.
I'm no hippy but we love these 'positive vibes'
See you next time...
Regards
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I visited The Hydro hotel with my Mum on 18th November until 22nd November. We travelled with Shearings which is our 9th holiday with them since February 2012.

My advice to anyone who is thinking of booking here, do it! You won't be disappointed. Just don't read any professional moaners reviews on here as it's not worth reading then.

The hotel is spotless, you could eat your dinner off the floor. I had room 228 and upon entering I thought I was allocated a Superior room by mistake! Turns out it was a standard room! It was big, clean and generally well maintained. If the standard rooms are excellent, imagine what the superior rooms are like!

The staff are excellent in their roles. Really friendly and they cannot help you enough. The restaurant manager who I unfortunately forget his name takes pride in his job, he along with the other restaurant staff ensured it ran like clock work and it did, my sincere thanks to them all for being great people.

The food was outstanding. Top marks to the chef, everything was piping hot and the lasagne I had on Thursday was the best I've tasted in my life. The breakfasts were delicious - just awesome!

The bar staff that served us are a credit to the hotel. What a lovely lady Sonya is, greeting us with a smile all the time, me and my mum had a great conversation with her one evening. My sincere thanks to her and her brother and the rest of the bar staff!

Our excursions included Braemar, Dunkheld and Perth. On our trip to Braemar on Wednesday there was a severe blizzard on the mountain road. Tony is an excellent driver who took great care in getting us there and back. Unfortunately the local transport Police shut the mountain road when we were coming back so Tony had to drive us back via Dundee but we got back safely to the hotel and I cannot thank him enough. Hope you feel better soon Tony. Being on top of the mountain road in a thick blizzard was a great experience!

I went in the pool and Jacuzzi on Tuesday and Thursday and I enjoyed it. The pool to the changing rooms are spotlessly clean, top marks to the staff who clean and maintain them.

Our main driver was Jeff who we knew from last year when he brought us to and from Stretton. Everyone knows Jeff! What a great funny man! He had the whole coach in stitches with his jokes and great sense of humor! Jeff is a legend!

Due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, we had 2 different drivers on Friday as Jeff had to drive the other coach to another interchange, but Tom and Rob the other drivers were excellent, this was handled smoothly and professionally.

The week went too quick and me and my mum are now in foul moods having to come back to the working life!

My sincere thanks to you Chris for managing an excellent hotel and it was great talking to you on Friday. We shall be back definitely.

Kind Regards
John

Stayed November 2013
3 Thank JohnD1986
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Hello there and thanks for a particularly well timed five star review ! I'm delighted things went so well for you and your Mum, I firmly believe that we have a very strong product that is consistent in what it offers to our customers. The chef will be pleased that his Lasagne has got a rave review but in actual fact my own lasagne that I do at home is the best this side of the Runcorn Bridge. He begs me daily for my recipe but he's not getting it..... I need to have one over on him.
I hope Geoff doesn't see this review because he already thinks he's Peter Kay and this will only make matters worse....remember we see him week in week out !
It was nice chatting to you and I'm sure next time you visit we can chat some more....
Highland Perthshire is lovely all year round so whenever suits you.
Thanks again,
Regards
Penicuik, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Its like an old folks home and I would pity the old folk staying here, First room they offered us was like a store room with peeling wallpaper small hopper sash windows that you could not see out and you would need electric light on all the time , second room we were offered was to the rear of the hotel beds were different heights and must have come from a charity shop also room was dark and smelt musty ,we actually cut short our stay a night early as it was so depressing and the food was un appetising

Very poor would not return !!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank George S
Hello, well it would be silly to say anything other than our lovely Hotel didn't suit you.
Scotland
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Spent a weekend in the hotel recently as part of a tour. Check in was very quick and well organised, especially when greeting a large group of guests.

Our room was on the second floor and was spacious and immaculately clean. The bed was very comfortable and we had a bay window with seating area giving views over the grouds and towards the hills - very nice.

Dinner on both evenings was very good and breakfast was well organised with no waiting around and was freshly cooked to order.

The pool was also very nice, with jacuzzi and sauna and was well maintained and very clean.

My only gripe was that there was often no-one available in the bar area on the Friday evening - we had to go to reception to ask for someone to serve us and witnessed many other guests having to do this. Surely when a customer wants to spend their hard earned money, someone should be there, smiling, with their hand stretched out to relieve them of it.

However, despite the minor issue of the missing bar staff, I do recommend the hotel, which is excellent value for money and would return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Pay a small supplement for a room with a view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Maeboyce
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Hi, thanks for posting a nice review about us. I suppose in some respects we are a well oiled machine and know what we are doing but..... we do have our moments on occasion ! It is nice to read that you think we are well organised as a lot of hard work goes on behind the scenes to ensure we run a smooth operation. There's a thousand things that can go wrong and it's our job to minimise the chances of any of those occurring.
I'm pleased to read you enjoyed our leisure facility, food and housekeeping standards.
In response to the bar, we kind of all muck in and help each other out but we try to avoid customers waiting around for service and I will look at this.
Aldridge, Walsall West Midlands
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We have recently returned from our 8th Shearing's Coach Holiday, six of which were in Scotland. We had seen the hotel on a previous day trip and was rather put off by its elevated position. We decided on a last minute break and thought we would give the Pitlochry Hydro a try. We are glad we did. We were pleased to see that our driver was to be Geoff who had taken us to Braemar last year. Geoff makes a good coach holiday exceptional with his knowledge and humour. You can't choose your driver but if you have Geoff you are lucky. We were in a good room with plenty of space with a bathroom that had a large corner bath and shower. We had a flat screen TV table and two chairs and a comfortable bed. I was intrigued with the luxury of the room that I asked the Asst. Manageress what standard the room was. I was told it was a standard room and would have been graded higher if it had had a view. It looked over a flat roof but as we spent so little time in the room it did not matter.
Food was good with a varied menu. The service was also very good. You were able to choose a time for dinner between 6pm and 8,30 the previous day but breakfast was when you arrive!
It would have been nice to have been seated with other guests but the policy was to give you your own table which differed at every meal.
We had two nights (Tuesday & Thursday ) entertainment which was good and there was plenty of seats for all the guests,
A couple of negatives. You could order newspapers but I did not see any for general use in the lounges as mentioned. The 'Library' consisted on 4 rather battered paperbacks. My final negative that I mentioned previously was the location at the top of a rather steep hill overlooking the town. Buses to and from the town pass nearby and taxis are available (£4)
I would recommend the hotel and the break was excellent value for money especially with a £25 p.p. in house credit which covered all the drinks that we wanted.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view have an extra cost but how much time do you spend in your your in an area of outst...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keith H
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Hi and thanks for your post. It has covered most areas and I am pleased that the staff, food, accommodation and entertainment were all good. You singled out Geoff and I have mentioned it to him, the problem is that now I have to be extra nice to him all week which he wallows in !!
You have also mentioned an area that has bothered me for years.....our wee library has a take one and put one back in system.....Mmmmm ! I calculate that we have put in around one thousand books per year and probably get about one hundred in return. Our local leisure members bring them in and all staff too.......I'm afraid you caught us on a bad week, I've just looked and there's fifteen now .... anyway, we used to do the same with magazines and they went walkies even quicker, having said that I nicked a National Geographic from the doctors surgery a few months ago because I hadn't finished the article I was reading. Shhhh keep that quiet.... so were all as bad as each other I suppose.
Thanks again for you comments and five star review, they really do make an awful lot of difference.