“Loved it”

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 29 March 2014

First time here, impressed by the high standards of the staff, the reception and facilities even though the sauna/jaquosi were out of action. Our room 222 was very nice only spoilt by a none opening window which meant a lack of fresh air and resulting damp smell.
We were generally very happy with the food, both breakfast and evening meals were of a reasonably high standard, my only complaint was after two days of vegetables being delivered in warm plates day three' s came in a super heated plate and with no warning given was picked up by me burning my fingers, thank goodness for the cold water on the table which saved me from blisters.
So overall an excellent four day break, plenty of free parking, lovely hotel, beautiful town, bargain price. Will we be back? Most certainly

1  Thank Travelinman999
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Hello there, well I was horrified to read that we could have injured you and I wish you had said something. I can promise you that I will be having a wee meeting with the staff before service this evening and will remind them to think twice before dropping of hot plates and dishes at the table. On a far more positive note than causing pain to our customers I am glad everything else was to your satisfaction. You mentioned food and value for money as positives which is great.
Apologies for the problems in Leisure......I'm afraid the elements went pop as someone over watered them and typically the spa then decided it was going to go on strike too. Parts have been ordered and I am sorry you didn't benefit from them this particular week.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed at the hotel 2 weeks ago on a shearings holiday . Friendly staff always very welcoming. Only lityle complaint was there was dust onthe wall above the bed , and cobwebs in the corner which we reported and not cleaned . We stayed in room 224 . But it did not take anything away from the holiday hence the 5/5 rating . Would come back again

1  Thank graham h

Hi there, I really appreciate your score considering there was a wee issue in the room. I'm delighted you found us all to be a friendly bunch which I think is generally the case....I suppose all of us have the occasional wobble but mostly we are focussed on making sure your holiday goes well and you return again and again.
Thanks so much and we will look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

My friend and I have just returned from a 5day break at Pitlochry Hydro.10 to 14 March. We travelled with Shearings, and have had an excellent value for money holiday. The standards in the hotel are first class.
All the staff were pleasant and helpful.nothing was ever too much trouble to any of them.
Our single rooms were spacious and comfortable,cleaned every day,towels changed when requested.
The menu choice for breakfast and evening meal is excellent with a good choice and always presented well,on hot plates.
Being a Scot now living south of the border, I must mention the haggis served when I visited. It was cooked to perfection so compliments to the chef and also to Frank for his we'll run restaurant. Restaurant staff were always pleasant and helpful,and don't rush you .
The scenery in and around the Hydro is spectacular.
We took advantage of the coach trips . Our main driver was Geoff. What a character, but very knowledgable on the area and makes the trips out interesting and enjoyable. Please pass this information to him.
Chris we had a perfect holiday and will come back and visit again .
Thank you . M. Britton

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank meg100314
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Hello there, I love the title of this review and the fact that in the first paragraph you mention value for money and first class standards.
We are all delighted that you speak well of your accommodation, the service and quality of food and of course, our lovely staff.
Taking the time to post reviews such as yours makes such a difference to morale and when that's high everyone's a winner.
Thanks again and hopefully see you again.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just home after an amazing weekend in Pitlochry,
The Hotel was great - staff were excellent - especially Frank who looks after everyone so well in the restaurant - and kept us all entertained with his jokes & the Friday Night Quiz !
All the staff were polite & helpful - nothing was too much trouble.
The bedrooms were very comfortable,& spacious
Leisure facilities were good - we had a fantastic time and would recommend this hotel to our friends & family.
My sincere thanks to everyone concerned.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Hi there and thanks for posting our third five star review on the trot..... very pleasing. I note you were pleased with all the different departments you came into contact with and I appreciate you saying so. I think the Talent Scouts will be here soon to check on Frank ....I just hope he remembers me when he's rich and famous.
Your comments are very welcome and the team are delighted.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and myself just returned on friday from a 5 day break with shearings and have nothing but compliments from the lovely room to the tasty food to the friendly staff for whom nothing was too much trouble! The only downside to the break was having to witness some guests having nothing better to do than complain about non existant problems-im suprised nobody blamed the manager for the one day we had rain-more power to chris for his patience and politeness!!! Well done to all the staff and thanks.

• Stayed: March 2014

Hello and thanks for the post......it made us all chuckle. I am famous round these parts for having plenty of patience but every now and then I lose the plot for a little while and throw a wee wobbler. Over the years you develop a thick skin and learn to recognise genuine problems from .....shall we say....imagined ones!
I hope to see you up here again at some point and hopefully next time I wont be dealing with the missing tea spoon drama or the slow flushing toilet mystery.......

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We have just returned from a 5 day break with Shearings and have had an excellent value for money break. We upgraded to a superior room which was spacious with large comfortable bed and separate seating area. Good housekeeping leaving it spotless for our return each day. The half board basis provided excellent choice of food and my wifes vegetarian needs were more than catered for with plenty of choices from the inclusive menus, or if you preferred you could supplement from the a la carte menu. The included pool sauna and gym area are well maintained and clean, providing a real added difference to many other hotels. I look forward to returning again and again to this friendly, efficiently run, and welcoming hotel in beautiful surroundings. Missing it already!

Room Tip: Superior rooms are well equiped and spacious
1  Thank Geoff W
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Hi there and thanks very much for posting such a kind review following your recent stay. It's so easy to be critical and I'm sure if you really tried you could have found a negative somewhere but you have chosen to concentrate on the positives and the basics (nice accommodation, friendly staff, efficiently ran, clean and with good food) are all in place far more often than not. I am glad you liked the leisure facility too which we have noticed is being mentioned on trip advisor more and more lately.
You mention you will come again and again and that's a massive pat on the back for all of us.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

This was our second stay at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel and we again enjoyed our 5 day Shearings break.

Since our last visit the All-Inclusive option was down-graded slightly to give each person a £25 voucher to spend in the bar per holiday, which still offer good value for money. It also gave us the opportunity to spend more time in some of the local pubs, which also added to our trip this time.

The hotel is kept nice and clean and our standard room was acceptable. We weren't too keen on the sealed windows and lack of ventilation in the bathroom, but overall the room was fine for a basic twin. The entertainment was again good, although this time around we chose to listen from afar and chilled out in the separate lounge area, which was also nice and comfy.

The hotel location is great and we chose to explore the local area. Pitlochry has lots of amenities and you have lots of choices of shops, pubs and restaurants. The local area is also great for walkers and has 2 whiskey distilleries within walking distance, although Edradour is a good walk for the able.

The only real downside to our stay, and this hasn't changed since our last visit 5 years ago is the 'very efficient' service in the restaurant. We've experienced this at other Shearings hotels and to be honest the service is far to rushed. The meal times, we felt, were also too restrictive and on more than one occasion we had to chose a time that wasn't our first choice. The food itself, was very good and the staff are very polite and helpful, but the restaurant manager could do with being a little more friendly and the work word 'grumpy' was used on more than one occasion.

But, once again we would recommend this hotel and offers great value for money.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Hello and thanks for taking the time to post a review. It's nice to read that you feel we keep the hotel nice and tidy and the food was enjoyable.
I think in the months that we do 'In House Credit' we off exceptional value for money. I look around and see what other offers are available and there is quite simply no one to touch us. This is not a down grade though it is just different as it gives customers the option to buy food and not just drinks.
I'm pleased you scored us well and I will look forward to seeing you again.