“A GOOD OVERALL HOLIDAY EXPERIENCE !!”

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Rochester, United Kingdom
“A GOOD OVERALL HOLIDAY EXPERIENCE !!”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed at The Hydro Hotel for 4 nights, was given room 210, which turned out to be a large corner suite of rooms, which was furnished well, and very light, with great views of the local Mountains and hills etc.Staff all very helpful, as I walk with a stick, so sometimes appreciate a little extra help. Manager Christopher Stanton, was aways very helpful, during our stay besides a slight misunderstanding, when we checked in, which was sorted out very quickly. All the staff were very good at there jobs, and Frank,and Sonia behind the bar most of the time, particularly stood out for the right reasons, and were a very good example, of staff working for Coast and Country Hotels.
The food was very good, both the breakfasts, and the evening meals, all served up very quickly,good varied menus, very good food, probably the best we have had with Coast and Country Hotels, although they seem to serve a very good quality at them all, and we have now been to 8 of there Hotels around the Country. So the Chef should been complimented for his varied, and very good menus, cooked well, and served well by the staff, who as mentioned were very polite.
We travelled just about 1500 miles in all, during the holiday, and could not ask for a better Hotel to come back to each evening.
Pitlochry, is a small town in Scotland with lots of Hotels, but as far as I Can tell this one is the one to stay in, if everybody gets looked after as well as we did. Paul and Joan Bennett.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the front for the excellent views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hello there and it was lovely meeting you and I am really pleased you enjoyed your break with us. As ever the staff are pleased you mentioned them and in particular Sonia and Frank who were singled out. As you are very familiar with our product and what it is we try to achieve at all our establishments your comments are particularly pleasing.
Our kitchen team really do work very hard providing nearly one thousand breakfasts most weeks and almost as many dinners......we record very few criticisms but it means such a lot when any positives come through. They are worth as much if not more than any motivational talk I might have with them so big thanks.
Hope to see you again at some point in the future.
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Launceston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Spent 4 days at the Hydro last week. For the most part we were very satisfied. We upgraded to a superior twin room with a view. The room was beautifully decorated (I love green!), and spotless. It is a little cramped for a superior twin - only one bedside table, crammed between the beds and thus only one reading light - opportunities for marital discord! It would probably be better as a double.
The bathroom was likewise spotless and well appointed -but for the shower, as others have mentioned. Take care when showering not to nudge the temperature control lever or a stream of scalding hot water will be produced - some form of thermostatic control is needed.
I was very pleased to see a shelf provided for toiletries etc, though I suspect it was purely a result of boxing in the pipes!

I cannot understand why anyone would complain about breakfasts - wonderful, especially the porridge and the poached eggs. The evening meals show a little more variation in quality but they are mostly good. The dining room staff are fantastic -very efficient and always friendly and smiling, as are all the staff we encountered.

So why-are you asking, have I not given the hotel 5 stars? Well it was going so well until our last night and the problem was ... the entertainment. No we weren't actually watching it - we have no interest in it but we weren't given a choice. We'd done most of the packing and settled down with a nice glass of something to watch a good film on the TV and then... the most appalling racket started up. I couldn't hear myself think, let alone watch my film. The bass on the sound system was so loud the floor was vibrating. We kept hoping it wouldn't last long but it went on until 22.30. - I had hoped it would stop after a rendition of "My Way" but or lasted another 10 mins! Now I have looked back thro other reviews and no-one else has mentioned this so -
Was this a new act that hadn't performed before?
Did all previous occupants of Room115 actually attended the performance?
Were all previous occupants actually deaf?!

Well that is why I only gave 4 stars and will not be returning unless I can be assured we will not be assigned any room on the first floor front- Beware of Room115 - nice as it is!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Hello and thanks for taking the time to review us. Firstly, we do have a twin superior at the back of house so let us know when you book next time. Otherwise there was lots of positives and I am glad you mentioned them. The staff are always pleased to read that they are appreciated and recognised for the fantastic job they do week in, week out.
Thanks again and hope to see you again.
Regards
Nenagh, Ireland
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just off the A9 we decided to break our journey to Elgin. For us of limited mobility request a room or the ground floor, or the lift goes up to the 2nd and third floor. we were put on the first floor, "stairs", which I just about managed. The room was well appointed but it needs a bit of sound insulation as we could hear the snores from next door! Very pleasant Scottish girl behind the Bar but mainly Europeans in the Dining room, very smart. I had Prawns in Tempuree batter, very good. Then Sea Bass, only one portion left, just about O.K. We sadly had no time for a swim.
The fish ladder is worth a visit if the Salmon are running and "House of Bruar", just north of Pitlochry on the A9 is Fortnums' and Harrods rolled into one. Good Tea room.

Room Tip: Go for the best room you can afford, and make sure the lift goes to it.
1 Thank Simon904
Hi there and thanks for the review. I'm glad we provided you with a nice place to break your journey heading north and you were comfortable. Hopefully you will come again and don't forget your swimming outfits this time.... we have a lovely facility that is there to be taken advantage of.
The Tyne
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We visited the Hydro 18th to 23rd May 2014, this time we found the ground floor and entrance very neat and tidy and well decorated.
The great majority of the staff had changed and all, apart from one or two, were very friendly and helpful - particularly in the dining room.
Accommodation was comfortable but in need of refurbishment (wall paper was coming from wall in corner).
The room was very clean and tidy otherwise.

Room Tip: Try and keep away from lift areas and preferably towards the end of a wing on the front of the hotel...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi, well a slightly mixed review but more compliments than criticisms. I have a man who goes around this building like a man possessed trying to maintain the fabric of it....he has now sorted the peeling wallpaper as we hadn't noticed it.
Hopefully, if you come again, we can try and deliver enough for a four star review.
Regards
Kent
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I have visited this hotel with my husband for a few years now. The staff really make it special for us, the food is good and we like the superior room and enjoy a swim in the pool. It's in a lovely central location. My husband likes a friendly chat with the barman who is from Europe I think. We don't pay a lot for our trip so to us it's a great deal . We come to Pitlochry to visit the lovely scenery and always feel welcome when we come to the hotel , unlike other places we have stayed in. Some staff have been here for a long time so think that says a lot. I've met the managers , think there's 2 or 3 and they always have time to say hello..and there is a lovely lady on reception who can't do enough for you. wouldn't stay anywhere else in Pitlochry.

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank hapytravel
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Hi, and thanks for a lovely balanced review which has cheered us all up. Elaine at reception has been welcoming guests here in the same fashion for many years....and I hope to squeeze a couple more out of her before she calls it a day.
For what seems like a very long time I have set us all the challenge of having more five star reviews than four star reviews and we have never been closer.....it's within touching distance ....we can all smell it and we want it ! We will all be on our best behaviour until that mile stone is reached then I will have to set us all another challenge. Onwards and upwards !!
Best Regards and hope to see you again.
Ross-on-wye
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My wife and I were on a two night package of dinner, bed & breakfast, amazing value, We had a very big ground floor room with a big bathroom and a very good shower with plenty of hot water. Our room was very clean and we were adjacent to the good indoor swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi. The food we had was very good, well served by attentive staff under the very watchful gaze of the restaurant manager. Good location just up the hill from the town center and a big free car park. We were well satisfied.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StuartRoss-on-Wye
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Hello and thanks, just what we needed ! I think we are a three star Hotel punching above our weight with the standards we have and the service we offer. For you to pick up the things you have done and compliment us in the way you have means an awful lot.
Hope to see you again up here in Highland Perthshire and more specifically in this Hotel.
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was our first time staying in the hydro....location was great and lovely surroundings. We were upgraded to a premier room from a superior which was great. The only issue was the shower was really bad....just a spray! Had a great night sleep, very comfortable bed.
The reception areas are lovely and staff friendly.
However the worst part of our stay was the food, very basic and tasteless. Both dinner and breakfast were very poor and felt the produce used was very cheap! The waiters were over attentative and made us feel rushed and uncomfortable. The food was with us with us within 2 mins of sitting down so definitley not fresh.
Overall nice hotel, would maybe stay again without eating here!
One last suggestion....heat the jacuzzi up, it was freezing!

1 Thank GandC84
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Hello and I'm sorry I'm responding to the second negative review on the trot......not where we want to be at all. My personal feelings on our food are that we have nearly a thousand bed nights every week and record very few issues. I recognise and appreciate that it is not up everyone's street but I believe the quality is reflected in the cost you have paid for your break. We work very hard to deliver a consistent standard of food and will continue to do so.
I think the problem with the spa is that when it is used heavily, as it was this weekend, it changes a huge volume its water and therefore gets little opportunity to warm itself up.
Thanks for your comments, we hope for better of course, but all reviews are listened to, considered and reacted upon.