“Hotel not as good as we thought was okay”

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
“Hotel not as good as we thought was okay”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

There was not many staff around the entrance desk when you needed your key. We did not find the staff as friendly as we thought on arrival. The room was okay but needs renovated. The bathroom was clean but the actual toilet was noticeably dirty at the rim underneath. I did notice that the girl who cleaned the toilet the next day must of noticed because it looked better than what it was the next day. Also on the bed I noticed that there was no under sheet on the mattress .The food was okay. But waiter service was nice, however across from our table in the morning in the corner right across from us you were welcomed by a damp looking wall. Quite frankly put me off my food looking at that. This should not be present at all in a dining room. Also be careful about the extra supplement offer we were unintentionally mislead by a staff member about the cost. I was told it would only be a extra £6.00 per main meal and £3.00 for desserts and starters and it wasn't. So if you go make sure the staff members inform you that it is £6 off the price of the mains and £3 off the desserts and starters at the price that is priced. Apart from all the negatives the room had a lovely view. The sauna and Swimming was a extra bonus, but the changing rooms are really old.
Wee still had a lovely time Pitlochry is a beautiful place plenty of walks and the old mill inn we would highly recommend at the weekend . The band was really good we really enjoyed this hotel/bar. The queens view was just stunning. The walks were so lovely. I hope this doesn't put others going to the hydro hotel. However for us I think wee shall try somewhere else next time. But thank you to all the staff because you could see they worked very hard and looked like they did their best.

Room Tip: Choose upgrade and make sure you get a room with a view,
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Hi, a mixed review and certainly something for us to think about.... we have recorded a few 'three star' reviews of late which is concerning. I am still confident in all of us to sort out any wee issues that have cropped up and expect to turn a corner very soon.
Apologies for the misunderstanding with supplement food in the restaurant.
I have a busy day ahead of me !!
Best regards
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My partner and I, for the first time, went on a coach trip with Shearings. I thought that being a lot younger than most of the patrons, it would be awfully boring, but I have to say, hats off to the coach driver who kept everyone entertained with his local knowledge and jokes. We were picked up at a local point in Gateshead and taken to Washington. Pick up coach arrived on time - our return journey using the drop off was a little more disappointing as we had to wait over 1.5 hours, so in the end we took a cab back.
The hotel itself was very nice. We upgraded to a premier room which I recommend. The rooms on the second floor facing the front was spacious, clean and very comfortable. Staff were mostly pleasant and attentive. Restaurant was OK, did find that we felt a little rushed with the set meals - as soon as we had finished our starters within 3 minutes the main meal arrived and the same for dessert. I suppose if you asked them not to bring out so quick, they would have obliged. Breakfast was nice with lots of choice, but we didnt rate the main meals to be honest. We didnt stay for any of the entertainment in the lounge area although the older patrons absolutely had a blast. Make sure you use your £25 drinks voucher that Shearings give you as the wine is £15 a bottle.
There wasnt much in the gym and on the 2 occasions we visited the spa area, the jacuzzi/hot tub was out of action and then the sauna.

Pitlochry is very pretty with nice little cafes and restaurants (indian in the town we went to was lush)

Trips with Shearings to Braemar was lovely - a very beautiful place and again with great detailed info from Shearings whilst on our trip.

Although I dont think we will be doing a coach trip for a long time, I would recommend Shearings and Pitlochry. For us, the hotel although nice, it does rate 3.5 stars, but its was just needs a little bit of tweaking/updating and some adjustments to their rushed dining experience I would say, go for B&B and you will be more than happy.

Room Tip: Think we were in room 213 (faces the front on the second floor)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Hi there and thanks for the review, I think your stay was a little while ago as you mention 'in house' credit which happens only in the winter months. It's a bit of a mixed review but I think considering it was your first coach holiday we ticked a few boxes but not them all ! I have taken on board your comments but am glad you have titled your review 'A nice break' and complimented the staff.
crawley
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed for 5 nights and on the whole was comfortable and clean. Food maybe could be a bit better but was not the worst I have tasted. The manager of the restaurant was the star and at least had some personality,unfortunately the rest of the staff although polite and efficient lacked a bit of sparkle even the reception staff were a little dour, maybe got them on a bad day. The surroundings are lovely and because of the location have given it 3 stars.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Hi there, well it has been an awful long time since we were accused of lacking personality. I think if you had just stayed the night and felt that way then, as you have said, that could of been down to a busy day etc but as you stayed for longer and still felt like this then I have to wonder where we might be falling short.
There is no question that one of our strongest and most reliable assets are our staff and I will continue to motivate and encourage the team to deliver consistently high standards on that score.
Thanks for your comments which have prompted me to think about how we come across and not to become complacent based on previous reviews.
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed at The Hydro Hotel for 4 nights, was given room 210, which turned out to be a large corner suite of rooms, which was furnished well, and very light, with great views of the local Mountains and hills etc.Staff all very helpful, as I walk with a stick, so sometimes appreciate a little extra help. Manager Christopher Stanton, was aways very helpful, during our stay besides a slight misunderstanding, when we checked in, which was sorted out very quickly. All the staff were very good at there jobs, and Frank,and Sonia behind the bar most of the time, particularly stood out for the right reasons, and were a very good example, of staff working for Coast and Country Hotels.
The food was very good, both the breakfasts, and the evening meals, all served up very quickly,good varied menus, very good food, probably the best we have had with Coast and Country Hotels, although they seem to serve a very good quality at them all, and we have now been to 8 of there Hotels around the Country. So the Chef should been complimented for his varied, and very good menus, cooked well, and served well by the staff, who as mentioned were very polite.
We travelled just about 1500 miles in all, during the holiday, and could not ask for a better Hotel to come back to each evening.
Pitlochry, is a small town in Scotland with lots of Hotels, but as far as I Can tell this one is the one to stay in, if everybody gets looked after as well as we did. Paul and Joan Bennett.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the front for the excellent views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hello there and it was lovely meeting you and I am really pleased you enjoyed your break with us. As ever the staff are pleased you mentioned them and in particular Sonia and Frank who were singled out. As you are very familiar with our product and what it is we try to achieve at all our establishments your comments are particularly pleasing.
Our kitchen team really do work very hard providing nearly one thousand breakfasts most weeks and almost as many dinners......we record very few criticisms but it means such a lot when any positives come through. They are worth as much if not more than any motivational talk I might have with them so big thanks.
Hope to see you again at some point in the future.
Launceston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Spent 4 days at the Hydro last week. For the most part we were very satisfied. We upgraded to a superior twin room with a view. The room was beautifully decorated (I love green!), and spotless. It is a little cramped for a superior twin - only one bedside table, crammed between the beds and thus only one reading light - opportunities for marital discord! It would probably be better as a double.
The bathroom was likewise spotless and well appointed -but for the shower, as others have mentioned. Take care when showering not to nudge the temperature control lever or a stream of scalding hot water will be produced - some form of thermostatic control is needed.
I was very pleased to see a shelf provided for toiletries etc, though I suspect it was purely a result of boxing in the pipes!

I cannot understand why anyone would complain about breakfasts - wonderful, especially the porridge and the poached eggs. The evening meals show a little more variation in quality but they are mostly good. The dining room staff are fantastic -very efficient and always friendly and smiling, as are all the staff we encountered.

So why-are you asking, have I not given the hotel 5 stars? Well it was going so well until our last night and the problem was ... the entertainment. No we weren't actually watching it - we have no interest in it but we weren't given a choice. We'd done most of the packing and settled down with a nice glass of something to watch a good film on the TV and then... the most appalling racket started up. I couldn't hear myself think, let alone watch my film. The bass on the sound system was so loud the floor was vibrating. We kept hoping it wouldn't last long but it went on until 22.30. - I had hoped it would stop after a rendition of "My Way" but or lasted another 10 mins! Now I have looked back thro other reviews and no-one else has mentioned this so -
Was this a new act that hadn't performed before?
Did all previous occupants of Room115 actually attended the performance?
Were all previous occupants actually deaf?!

Well that is why I only gave 4 stars and will not be returning unless I can be assured we will not be assigned any room on the first floor front- Beware of Room115 - nice as it is!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Hello and thanks for taking the time to review us. Firstly, we do have a twin superior at the back of house so let us know when you book next time. Otherwise there was lots of positives and I am glad you mentioned them. The staff are always pleased to read that they are appreciated and recognised for the fantastic job they do week in, week out.
Thanks again and hope to see you again.
Regards
Nenagh, Ireland
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just off the A9 we decided to break our journey to Elgin. For us of limited mobility request a room or the ground floor, or the lift goes up to the 2nd and third floor. we were put on the first floor, "stairs", which I just about managed. The room was well appointed but it needs a bit of sound insulation as we could hear the snores from next door! Very pleasant Scottish girl behind the Bar but mainly Europeans in the Dining room, very smart. I had Prawns in Tempuree batter, very good. Then Sea Bass, only one portion left, just about O.K. We sadly had no time for a swim.
The fish ladder is worth a visit if the Salmon are running and "House of Bruar", just north of Pitlochry on the A9 is Fortnums' and Harrods rolled into one. Good Tea room.

Room Tip: Go for the best room you can afford, and make sure the lift goes to it.
1 Thank Simon904
Hi there and thanks for the review. I'm glad we provided you with a nice place to break your journey heading north and you were comfortable. Hopefully you will come again and don't forget your swimming outfits this time.... we have a lovely facility that is there to be taken advantage of.
The Tyne
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We visited the Hydro 18th to 23rd May 2014, this time we found the ground floor and entrance very neat and tidy and well decorated.
The great majority of the staff had changed and all, apart from one or two, were very friendly and helpful - particularly in the dining room.
Accommodation was comfortable but in need of refurbishment (wall paper was coming from wall in corner).
The room was very clean and tidy otherwise.

Room Tip: Try and keep away from lift areas and preferably towards the end of a wing on the front of the hotel...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi, well a slightly mixed review but more compliments than criticisms. I have a man who goes around this building like a man possessed trying to maintain the fabric of it....he has now sorted the peeling wallpaper as we hadn't noticed it.
Hopefully, if you come again, we can try and deliver enough for a four star review.
Regards