“Shearings Company needs to spend money here”

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is a lovely building of considerable age situated in a perfect setting in a delightful part of Perthshire. However there is a real need for a combination of a great deal of both maintenance and upgrading if it is to continue to be a destination of pleasant choice. Most of what we would say about the place is directed at Shearings the company NOT at the staff who as before were uniformly, polite helpful and friendly. We have no wish to fill up a review with specific little points where work is needed and renewals should be udertaken.
Suffice it to say that from the clean swimming pool to the carpeting of corridors there are lots of things needing replaced or refitted. Our room in general was properly equipped , clean and all furnishings were fine.
What a pity that no rigorous checking is done requently. Not one of the windows in room 124 could be opened--possibly when last repainted the frames were rendereed immobile and of course broken sash cords do not help! To be in a stuffy room in a June heatwave at nights was not too pleasant!
These windows have been fast and unopenable since our April visit so action is slow and checks far from thorough. This sadly must reflect on local management who could surely have arranged to get that put right by local workmen? Or is Shearings so hidebound that not even that low level of repair is permitted without reference to central property control staff? Maybe Shearings feel that the large coach parties who occupy the premises in middle of weeks are there as a one-off so they can leave capital investments aside but old buildings need tender loving care and it is not being provided!

2  Thank Suntravellers65
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Hi there, first of all thanks for the review and the many positives you complimented us on. I feel I must, however, defend ourselves on some other points you have raised. To say we need to spend more money is too easy to say......... it is a huge subject matter that would take me two hours to go into the details on why we do, what we do, and when we do it. I think I could go into almost any business aside from the very top end, and show them where they could spend some money to Improve their product quite easily. I think the most important message I can send out here is that as a company we spend a lot of time considering investment and as a Manager I attend many meetings looking at ways we can cost effectively maintain and improve the fabric of our building. I have just been to your room and both windows opened without a problem......anything that gets reported is tackled as soon as we can and I am sorry you struggled as I would never willingly allow a customer to suffer a stuffy room in any weather.
This is a communication I wish I could have had with you at the Hotel and I am sure you would be more than satisfied with both mine and the companies approach to all things that go under the banner of progress and investment.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Moving on from Oban we had a couple of nights here on way to Carnoustie. Pleasant hotel we paid for a "Superior room" with view. The room was excellent and had obviously been refurbished in recent years and whilst I appreciate paying extra for a view I really don't think it is right to charge extra for a "superior room" which is of a standard that should be expected of all rooms. Public areas and dining room had also been refurbished and of good quality. Breakfasts were excellent however choice of and quality of table de hot was not so good food only just acceptably warm. Pitlochry itself well worth a visit with pleasant easy walks nearby and a bustling high street.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Hello, and thanks for the review. Mostly, it seems your experience was a good one and I am glad you had a nice time. As we have so many rooms (73) and a number of different types of room in amongst them, we feel there has to be a difference in cost for each of them. I would hate for two sets of customers paying the same price and one of them had a far nicer room than the other......plus I would end up being throttled if they ever found out and I'm far too delicate for any of that these days.
Best Regards and thanks again for a positive review.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just returned from a five day stay at the Hydro and everything about it was excellent from check in to bedrooms food and staff nothing was to much trouble for any of the staff and it is really good value my only complaint was the holiday was to shkort

Diane Allen

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Hi there and thanks for a nice five star review....it is very much appreciated. All of the important stuff was mentioned and finally you mentioned the value which is something we work very hard on. If customers leave feeling they had good value then it is a massive positive for us.
Thanks again for taking the time to post.
Regards

Reviewed 10 June 2014

After reading some of the recent reviews of this hotel we arrived with with an open mind. We were most pleasantly surprised. The hotel is beautiful and typically characterful. The food and staff were very friendly and helpful. On arrival we were offered a 'wee dram' by a pleasant receptionist, and help was at hand for our luggage. The views from our room were stunning across the valley. Will definitlely be coming back! Thankyou!

Room Tip: All rooms are individual.
1  Thank Julie R
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Hi there and thanks for a five star review and I am glad everything was in place. We all work very hard to secure favourable reviews and I really do appreciate a good one, particularly after a few average ones have been posted.
Many thanks and we will see you again.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

There was not many staff around the entrance desk when you needed your key. We did not find the staff as friendly as we thought on arrival. The room was okay but needs renovated. The bathroom was clean but the actual toilet was noticeably dirty at the rim underneath. I did notice that the girl who cleaned the toilet the next day must of noticed because it looked better than what it was the next day. Also on the bed I noticed that there was no under sheet on the mattress .The food was okay. But waiter service was nice, however across from our table in the morning in the corner right across from us you were welcomed by a damp looking wall. Quite frankly put me off my food looking at that. This should not be present at all in a dining room. Also be careful about the extra supplement offer we were unintentionally mislead by a staff member about the cost. I was told it would only be a extra £6.00 per main meal and £3.00 for desserts and starters and it wasn't. So if you go make sure the staff members inform you that it is £6 off the price of the mains and £3 off the desserts and starters at the price that is priced. Apart from all the negatives the room had a lovely view. The sauna and Swimming was a extra bonus, but the changing rooms are really old.
Wee still had a lovely time Pitlochry is a beautiful place plenty of walks and the old mill inn we would highly recommend at the weekend . The band was really good we really enjoyed this hotel/bar. The queens view was just stunning. The walks were so lovely. I hope this doesn't put others going to the hydro hotel. However for us I think wee shall try somewhere else next time. But thank you to all the staff because you could see they worked very hard and looked like they did their best.

Room Tip: Choose upgrade and make sure you get a room with a view,
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi, a mixed review and certainly something for us to think about.... we have recorded a few 'three star' reviews of late which is concerning. I am still confident in all of us to sort out any wee issues that have cropped up and expect to turn a corner very soon.
Apologies for the misunderstanding with supplement food in the restaurant.
I have a busy day ahead of me !!
Best regards

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My partner and I, for the first time, went on a coach trip with Shearings. I thought that being a lot younger than most of the patrons, it would be awfully boring, but I have to say, hats off to the coach driver who kept everyone entertained with his local knowledge and jokes. We were picked up at a local point in Gateshead and taken to Washington. Pick up coach arrived on time - our return journey using the drop off was a little more disappointing as we had to wait over 1.5 hours, so in the end we took a cab back.
The hotel itself was very nice. We upgraded to a premier room which I recommend. The rooms on the second floor facing the front was spacious, clean and very comfortable. Staff were mostly pleasant and attentive. Restaurant was OK, did find that we felt a little rushed with the set meals - as soon as we had finished our starters within 3 minutes the main meal arrived and the same for dessert. I suppose if you asked them not to bring out so quick, they would have obliged. Breakfast was nice with lots of choice, but we didnt rate the main meals to be honest. We didnt stay for any of the entertainment in the lounge area although the older patrons absolutely had a blast. Make sure you use your £25 drinks voucher that Shearings give you as the wine is £15 a bottle.
There wasnt much in the gym and on the 2 occasions we visited the spa area, the jacuzzi/hot tub was out of action and then the sauna.

Pitlochry is very pretty with nice little cafes and restaurants (indian in the town we went to was lush)

Trips with Shearings to Braemar was lovely - a very beautiful place and again with great detailed info from Shearings whilst on our trip.

Although I dont think we will be doing a coach trip for a long time, I would recommend Shearings and Pitlochry. For us, the hotel although nice, it does rate 3.5 stars, but its was just needs a little bit of tweaking/updating and some adjustments to their rushed dining experience I would say, go for B&B and you will be more than happy.

Room Tip: Think we were in room 213 (faces the front on the second floor)
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Hi there and thanks for the review, I think your stay was a little while ago as you mention 'in house' credit which happens only in the winter months. It's a bit of a mixed review but I think considering it was your first coach holiday we ticked a few boxes but not them all ! I have taken on board your comments but am glad you have titled your review 'A nice break' and complimented the staff.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed for 5 nights and on the whole was comfortable and clean. Food maybe could be a bit better but was not the worst I have tasted. The manager of the restaurant was the star and at least had some personality,unfortunately the rest of the staff although polite and efficient lacked a bit of sparkle even the reception staff were a little dour, maybe got them on a bad day. The surroundings are lovely and because of the location have given it 3 stars.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Hi there, well it has been an awful long time since we were accused of lacking personality. I think if you had just stayed the night and felt that way then, as you have said, that could of been down to a busy day etc but as you stayed for longer and still felt like this then I have to wonder where we might be falling short.
There is no question that one of our strongest and most reliable assets are our staff and I will continue to motivate and encourage the team to deliver consistently high standards on that score.
Thanks for your comments which have prompted me to think about how we come across and not to become complacent based on previous reviews.