“Shearings self drive”

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This stay was my first visit to Scotland. My cousin drove us up as it was a self drive. It was an easy booking and when we arrived we found a warm welcome and a very comfortable room.. The enormous room and the en-suite were both very clean and comfortable and considering we did not have a room with a view we still could see an amazing view from our downstairs window. The hotel is over a hundred years old and in places showed it's age and the floor creaked occasionaly but then that is what you would expect from an old building. It gave it character.
All the staff were friendly and helpful. The serving staff were mainly from Eatern Europe and one or two were a little hard to understand but they worked really hard and were very helpful.

Please note: The road down to the town and back is steep and not to be undertaken if you have walking problems however the parking in the town is sufficient.

I really enjoyed it and would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you have walking problems the ground floor rooms are best.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jean M
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Hi and thanks for a fair review about what it is we do here. I'm glad you were comfortable and the staff looked after you well.
Yes, the building is old and needs, in fact demands, a lot of TLC and we try to do the best we possibly can.
Thanks for the post and hopefully see you again up here.
Regards

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel this weekend. My wife and I have stayed there a few times before and it was okay for a couple of days. This time we were allocated room 117 first floor opposite the main door to the first floor. We paid an extra £28 for a room with a view but the view we had was of the putting green and trees and above the main entrance. We asked to change our room but were told that there were no more rooms available in spite of a notice outside saying " rooms available" The room was very tired,carpet stained the wallpaper coming away from the wall the bathroom was horrible mold and mildew on the tiles rusted towel rail .and linoleum on the floor not to mention the noisy fan every time the light was switched onThe food was okay but nothing to write home about .This will be our last stay here It's a true saying you get what you pay for but this hotel is a big disappointment !

Room Tip: ask to see it first
1  Thank ruglenfergie

Hi and I'm sorry you felt so disappointed on your recent trip here. The scenic view supplement that you pay secures you a front facing room and in my opinion worth the extra if you do not want to be roomed back of house. I can promise you that we were full and had no alternative to offer you otherwise we would have.......
Your points regarding housekeeping are being looked into.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

we booked our mid week stay as a last minute holiday not knowing where we would end up, we received our travel doc's on the fri before leaving on monday morning, after the doc's arrived i viewed the hotel on the pc to read review's this is something i was told not to do by friends as you alway's take note of the negative comment's there were quite a few with regard to the decor et'c ,however we left with the intention's of enjoying the stay which we thoroughly did the food was fantastic the service was second to none and the staff were outstanding, yes the room was a little dated bathroom shower was not the best but was adequate,tour driver gordon was very good he knew the history of the whole area we will be doing this again in the near future....

Room Tip: it would well worth booking an upgraded room.
1  Thank Elizabeth T

Hi, I'm pleased to read everything was in order and even more pleased to read you would come again. Yes, you are correct and we are all guilty of it....reading a couple of average reviews and thinking the worst !
Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed one night bed and breakfast. The room was quite big and well appointed. everything was very clean and the staff I met were all helpful and courteous. the grounds are now much smaller than they would have been in the hotel's heyday but the car parking is now more extensive. At breakfast it became obvious that there were a couple of coach parties staying and it may have been their timetable leading to breakfast (although well cooked ) being hurried and having all the ambience of a school meal . not sure I would stay here again if there was a suitable alternative in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Hi and thanks for the post though I am disappointed with your title and score considering you found little wrong. I have to concede that when we are at full capacity Breakfast service can be busy and we try to be as efficient as we can to contend with that.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed at the Hydro for 5 nights on a Shearings Coach Holiday. Whilst we thought the hotel was a little tired in places, the public areas were clean and comfortable. Food, both breakfast and dinner, was served hot, with a good selection. My husband had a steak from the A La Carte menu one night which was perfectly cooked to his order and he said it was lovely. The waiting staff were polite and efficient, although perhaps sometimes too efficient as we found on occasions the service to be a little rushed.
We upgraded to a scenic superior room and yes, it was scenic – being on a corner we had dual aspect windows – but we were a little disappointed with the room itself. We were able to view a standard room and yes there were differences – a lot more space and a fully tiled bathroom, with upgraded amenities - but we thought the amount charged for the upgrade was a little on the steep side. However that said, the bed was comfortable and the room was kept immaculately clean by, I think it was Alison. I asked for more teabags as I don’t drink coffee and these were provided without question and the bathroom amenities were restocked daily.
The only other minor criticism was that the free WiFi, which is provided only in one part of the lounge area, was sporadic and non-existent for the last two/three days.
We did make use of the indoor pool a couple of times. It was a reasonable size and again, very clean. There is also a sauna which we didn't use, and a Jacuzzi which was disappointingly cool.
Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hydro and would not hesitate to visit again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi, thanks for the post and its nice of you to compliment most aspects of your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed the steak as it is locally sourced and very tasty in my opinion.
When we have a number of people in quick succession use the Jacuzzi, it does lose its temperature due to the volume of water it turns over.
I will pass on your regards to Alison who works very hard keeping rooms spick and span.
Thanks again

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here at the end of May/beginning of July. This was a surprise trip booked by my husband. Unfortunately, he doesn't use trip advisor or other review sites. Had I known about the trip, I would have read the reviews on here and we would not have booked to stay.

The Hotel is for an older clientele. This was actually explained to us by a member of staff. The lady checking us in at reception pointed out that, in her words no one dresses up here for dinner.

The dining experience was a huge disappointment with very average food. First courses arrived approximately 30 seconds after ordering on both nights. Very odd. I noticed that this was mentioned in previous reviews.

Staff are poorly trained. We had to ask for drinks, pepper, ice bucket etc both nights. No check backs on meals. Tables next to us were cleaned using spray which drifted over to us while we were still eating. The restaurant does not have a great atmosphere. It feels more like a canteen in a holiday camp.

The Restaurant manager is a little too familiar. Being friendly is nice but he took it a little too far and spent too much time chatting at tables. To be honest, it was a little awkward.

Our bed was very thin, cheap and uncomfortable. My husband suffers from a bad back so I mentioned it to the reception staff and I was told a mattress would be added during room service. When we got back to our room, we found it was actually a padded mattress cover and not a mattress, as promised.

The Hotel management is definitely aware of problems with the bed in this room. Reading through previous reviews, I noticed the very same room was mentioned in a complaint about the mattress. Clearly, guest comfort is not a priority as it was still the same old bed.

The room was very tired. It was basic, marginally clean and nothing special at all. Their bathroom, in places, was a little dangerous/hazardous. I would not like to imagine an elderly guest negotiating their way around this bathroom

I appreciate that this is a three star hotel. However, the restaurant manager pointed this out in conversation more than once. We believe that instead of saying -this is only a three star hotel what do you expect? They should raise their standards and say- even though we are only a three star hotel this is the high level of service we provide.

Perhaps we were a little used to comfort and a degree of luxury as we had very recently stayed in the nearby Atholl Palace Hotel. However, even if we hadn't stayed there before, we would still have been unimpressed with this was hotel.

I felt the whole experience lacked class and that 'little something extra' you expect when you anyway from home.

When we were checking out, we were not asked if we had a pleasant stay, we were not thanked for our custom and there were no pleasantries exchanged at all.

Staff training, if it is not already a priority, really should be.

I would not return to this hotel nor would I recommend it to anyone. There are many beautiful hotels and bed and breakfast establishments in this area. For this reason I would never return to the Hydro.

• Stayed: June 2014
8  Thank Traveller206
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We have just returned from a lovely week at the Hydro Hotel, yes it does need a little TLC in some places but overall it is very clean and tidy. The seating areas are very comfortable and the dinning room is spacious and bright with staff that are very friendly and attentive without being overbearing (all the staff are great but wish Chris the manager had made himself known if he was there). The only down side to the Hydro is the Wi Fi which is non existent at some times! If it wasn't for that it would have full marks from us.

Stayed: July 2014
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Hello there and thanks for posting a nice review regarding your recent stay. We work hard to keep it clean and tidy and I'm pleased you commented on it. As for the wifi ....it would seem that on occasion the whole village has a poor internet strength and we are working to solve that problem.
As for me ....well some might say they are sick of the sight of me !! I am usually found at Reception answering and sending countless e mails and then I go on the prowl, both front and back of house, and make a general nuisance of myself. Please ask for me next time so I can introduce myself and say hello.
In the meantime thanks for the post, it means a lot.