“Nice stay at a nice hotel”

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 30 August 2009

In early August we visited the Hydro Hotel at Pitlochry with Shearings `Pitlochry & the Falkirk Wheel. On arrival the coach was met by the deputy manager who gave us details of rooms, meals, facilities etc. Transfer to rooms was very efficient, the room was adequate but could do with a little tlc. The tea/coffee/ biscuits facility was excellent, filled up every morning which is sometimes not the rule in higher priced hotels. The breakfast was help yourself to flakes/fruit and a cooked breakfast was served at the table. the cooked breakfast was reasonably small with only one sausage but this is obviously governed by the price, the breakfast was completed with tea/coffee and toast. The dinner served between 6.30pm and 8.30pm which meant no-one needed to rush was very good
with a choice of starter, four choices of main meal, choice of dessert (the ice-cream is recommended) and coffee in the lounge afterwards. The dining room, bar/entertainment room is furnished to a very high standard although lager is a little expensive at £3 a pint.
Entertainment is included on 3 nights including the exceptional singer Bruce Davies on Thursday evenings (don`t miss Bruce, you will not be disappointed, leave your packing to later). The only downside to the hotel is the location 10 minutes walk out of Pitlochry up a steep hill but for anyone reasonably fit this is not a problem and anyway buses/taxis are available and the hotel can`t help where it was built. Overall an enjoyable holiday at a nice hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 August 2009

We stayed at The Hydro for a last minute mystery half term break with Shearings on their coach tour. The rooms were clean and spacious (no view at all from our bedrooms though this didn't bother us. the bar and restaurant had been re-furnished and were decorated beautifully. We enjoyed the food and the staff were friendly. The entertainment was pretty good, especially Bruce Davies, though it could have started slightly earlier as we have a nine year old. We alos found the indoor pool with gym and spa very handy to use before dinner. Would deifinitely recommend the Hotel and the resort in general.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2009

My sister and I have just returned from a five day holiday with Shearings at the Pitlochry Hydro hotel. We were under the impression it had recently been refurbished. It had but only partially. The room we had which was on the ground floor had a very badly stained carpet, leaves growing through the bottom of the windows and 2 very old radiators, which came on depending on the tempatrure on ther outside of the hotel. It never came on at night and when we complained about it a young man who was serving behind the bar brought a small heater. Before he had time to plug it in the night porter came and told be to get back to the barand there were customers waiting to be served. He did not tell him in a nice way and we thought he should have taken him from our room before talking to him in the manner which he did. He then took the heater away and brought us a smallblower which was useless. Wespoke to the manageress the following day and she said if it waas not very cold outside then the heating would not come on in the bedroom, which I think is very poor, seeing as it was supposed to have been upgraded, and is now known as a coast and country hotel. We have been on several holidays recently with Shearings and this is the first time we have not been satisfied with the hotel and would definately not go to this one again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2009

My Husband and I stayed at the Pitlochry Hydro on a 2 nights DB&B deal the weekend of 26th and 27th June. On arriving at the hotel the building itself looked tired with the old sash windows badly in need of being painted. However once inside the refurbishment became apparent. The reception/lounge area are welcoming as were the staff. We had a superior room for which we paid an additional £60. The room was of a good size, well decorated with a view over the gardens. Note-if you do not attend the hotel's entertainment you will most definitely be able to hear it in your room. We used the leisure facilities which has a reasonably sized swimming pool, a small sauna and a spa jacuzzi. If you use the spa take off anything made of silver as it turned mine black!! The food was ok but nothing great. The staff are very busy at Dinner time, and my husband had to ask waiting staff for a drink-usually the first thing you are asked when sitting down for Dinner. I am vegetarian and had to request a breakfast that did not have bacon and sausage in it as it is not on the pre-printed menu. The cooked part of breakfast is served on a small plate, so suggest you make use of the other self service options too. Whilst eating my breakfast I was asked if I would like vegetarian haggis for Dinner. A nice gesture however how many meat eaters would appreciate being asked what they want for their dinner when sitting having breakfast at 8am?? Unfortunately by Dinner time staff advised that they had been unable to get the vegetarian haggis-in the highlands of Scotland-mmmm?. Pitlochry is a tranquil village with plenty of shops-albeit most of them selling tartan goods and has plenty of places to eat. If ever returning to the hotel I think we would consider room only or B&B.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2009

This was our(group of 7)5th stay and we can not praise the staff highly enough,i had a problem with my room as i have mobility problems and the staff could not do enough to help giving me another room and telling me just to leave all my luggage and they would move it,the food is excellent and served by pleasant dining room staff.Every time we leave we look forward to our next visit,i cannot understand why anyone would complain considering what it costs for a 3 night stay with dinner bed and breakfast and leisure facilities in a beautiful part of the country. Outstanding Staff!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2009

just back from pitlochry hydro had a great stay and would recommend it to everybody. top class decor .top class waiting service. top class meals. top class room . top class leisure facilities. top class weekend '''''''''''''

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2009

The hotel felt unwelcoming from the minute we entered. The receptionist was not rude but she just had an unfriendly persona. She requested that I paid for the room as I checked in which I felt set the tone for the stay, not normal practice when you check into a hotel of this price but I happily obliged. On entering the room I understood why! The Room was not to a high standard for the £110 pound I had paid for the one night. It was was very tired and was in desperate need of a little TLC this could also be said for the bathroom that had visible black mould and very poor shower. I would have been content if I had paid £60 but £110!! For that money you expect a little extra care. Money has been spent on the hotel but only in certain areas i.e. the reception, dinning room and the fantastic pool but they seemed to have stopped on the rooms and the changing facilities for the gym, they were also in a very poor condition. The cynic in me would say they stopped once they got enough glamour shots for the brochure! The foreign staff who served in the dining area were very pleasant but the local staff I came across seemed surly. On departing the reception had a crass self made box for ‘gratuities accepted’ which really summed up the place to a tee!! Avoid!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple