“Great small hotel”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Largs
“Great small hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

What a difference a small hotel can make to using a bed and breakfast ,and the East Haugh made that difference ,from the earlier check in to later check out and having facilities ie in house award winning restaurant, bar , proper parking and for the sake of my last two visits a mere £7.50 more for the four poster room with whirlpool bath to the pretensious junior suit of a B&B the hotel couldn't have been more helpful where the B&B's want you in late and out early with the minum effort and you pay nearly the same rate in future when I visit the award wining theatre I will use the award wining Hotel over any of the protensious B&B's in Pitlockry

Room Tip: Four poster rooms are great
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
EastHaughHouseHotel, Guest Relations Manager at East Haugh House, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear John C

What lovely words! we are so pleased you had a nice stay and we very much look forward to welcoming you again some time soon.

There are some lovely B&B's pitlochry as well so if ever we are full and you would like a recommendation I'd be sure to send yo to the right place!

Many thanks and see you soon

Sophie McGown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Czech first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

As a wedding gift from a very good friend we had dinner here last week- the best restaurant venison I have ever eaten! cooked to perfection, and we know because we do it pretty well ourselves at home! Nice staff and dining room, although the chairs are rather low for the tables we thought?
next time we'll be happy in the bar by the fire, as long as the food is as good.
Mnay thanks for making it a very memorable evening.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
EastHaughHouseHotel, Guest Relations Manager at East Haugh House, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Ruth M

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about you recent visit. We are funnily enough taking delivery of 75 beautiful new chairs next week, so I promise next time you are here you will be sitting just where you should be..... The winter time here is lovely with all the fires on and just so much romance! We hope to see you again soon

many thanks

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I would like to start by saying that the hotel itself is beautiful, very welcoming, lovely bar, snug, and restaurant and our room was bursting with character.

We arrived on Saturday evening, we had a very reasonably priced 3 course meal in the restaurant and every course was faultless, presented beautifully, and fully enjoyed (I can fully recommend the lemon and lime tart!! Yum!)

We had a couple of drinks in the bar too, fantastic wine list if you like that kind of thing..which I do!

We came to the hotel just for a one night getaway for my partners birthday, he was working nearby in the day (Blair Castle) so it was very convenient for us! Just ten mins down the road..

Our room as stated was lovely, beautiful four poster bed, huge bathroom with a great shower and jacuzzi bath! Brilliant! :)

The only thing that we had a problem with was the lumpy bed, it wasn't a great nights sleep due to it being quite uncomfortable, which was a bit of a shame :( but didn't ruin it for us! The hotel fully redeemed itself once more with breakfast..culinary excellence and great coffee! We stayed in the Dusty Miller room.

I would recommend this hotel, but perhaps a little warning about the bed situ in case you have a sore back! We were a bit creaky today...

One other observation was that, although all of the staff were attentive and friendly, there was very few Scottish staff..which is a bit of a shame in such a beautifully Scottish hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear KatieKateWilson

Many thanks fro all you comments about your recent stay with us. I have notified housekeeping abut the lumpy bed and they have removed the mattress topper, this will solve the problem so thank you for letting us know. I'm so glad you enjoyed the food and wine I have passed this on to the kitchen.

My response to your comment "One other observation was that, although all of the staff were attentive and friendly, there was very few Scottish staff..which is a bit of a shame in such a beautifully Scottish hotel" pretty much every business in Scotland and beyond would struggle to survive without foreign employees, we have employed some of the best members of staff we have ever had and they have been polish, Russian, Hungarian Australian and so on. I only wish we could get more Scottish staff, but it is extremely difficult.

many thanks and I hope you come and stay again soon

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

My cousin and I spent 3 nights in this lovely Scottish hotel, which was so delightful in every way that we tried to arrange another night but, unfortunately, it was fully booked. Beautiful location, clean very comfortable and welcoming, with amazing food and excellent service provided by everyone on the staff. In fact, when our taxi (to the theatre) failed to arrive, and almost before we realised we had a problem, the owner of the hotel had noticed and 'phoned the taxi office, confirmed that there had been a mix-up and insisted that she would drive us in to the theatre herself! How kind and thoughtful was that? Above and beyond... would you agree?

Brilliant experience, highly recommended and we will certainly be back.

Olive Beaton, Edinburgh and Margaret Smith, Glamis

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Hello ladies..

I remember you both so well, such lovely positive woman an made me laugh everyday! Im so glad you had a great time and we could accommodate you.

I hope to see you again soon

Bowmore, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

This hotel is still living on the back of it's past reputation which was good and one of the reasons why we made a dinner reservation for 3 last Saturday during our brief stay in the area. However ....very disappointing.

Having booked dinner..we were ushered to the bar area..not a good start. There is nothing quite like a prawn cocktail..when a little passion is evidenced in its preparation...not on this occasion. When one orders " whole tail scampi " with no mention of " breaded " on the menu, one does not expect to be served breaded scampi and well done chips in such an establishment. Guess what was served !. At least I enjoyed the wine and the owner/manager had the good sense to take the scampi dish off our bill.

I hate complaining...as a family we were looking forward to an enjoyable dinner together (which does not happen very often)....that was why it was so disappointing.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear James s

Many thanks for all you comments , we take them very seriously and I will pass on to our chef that you did not enjoy your meal. I'm glad it was resolved by a member of staff taking what you did not enjoy off your bill and apologising on behalf of the kitchen. We do not always have enough room for people to sit in the lounge or at the bar on a busy Saturday night , this meaning we do have to sit people straight at the table, some restaurant will have you waiting by the door till your table is ready. We have an outstanding reputation for our food and service and a mortals we do not always get it right, that's why its so great that people like yourselves bring it to our attention so we can make it better.
I do hope you will return again.

Many thanks

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

We booked 2 rooms for 1 night dinner, bed and breakfast. Cosy and welcoming, this wonderful country hotel had the feel of a B and B with all the luxury of a 5* hotel. Dinner was fantastic with impeccable service. The four poster bedroom was a special treat for a special anniversary.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Chris 77 w

Many thanks for such lovely comments,! I'm so glad you had a lovely stay.

many thanks and see you soon

Haddenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

If this is a taste of Scotland, hand me the bagpipes.... I'm convinced! What a fantastic welcome, felt so good after a tiring journey, made it so worthwhile. What a gorgeous bedroom, while I relaxed in a fabulous jacuzzi bath my partner explored the bar for a well deserved dram. The fishing and shooting had been arranged for the next few days and the staff were SO knowledgeable, he was impressed (not easy!). I had wondered whether I would be bored over the weekend while he was busy hunter gathering but no, there are fantastic walks and... The House of Bruar, loved it. My second favourite pastime after shopping is eating, the food is beyond compare, they even cooked and prepared my hunter gatherer's 'bag', he was utterly over the moon! cannot recommend this place enough, the attention to detail, unequalled!

Room Tip: The four poster called Dusty Millar, thinking of it as my room because we'll be back, might let...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Ros W

You just keep on giving us these glowing reviews! we should put you on the pay roll..... We are very happy that you had another wonderful holiday here at East Haugh and hope to see you again soon.

Many thanks