“Fantastic and Romantic”
Review of East Haugh House

East Haugh House
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My husband surprised me with a two night stay for my birthday last month and I've been meaning to write a review. In short because I could go on and on ...warm welcome, beautiful four poster room with fireplace and jacuzzi tub, robes, full tea/coffee/hot cocoa & shortbread in the room. Dinner was out of this world! I highly suggest the scallops with black pudding as a main and the fish & chips - you will not be disappointed. Service was spot on and the entire atmosphere was just wonderful. Breakfast had plenty to choose from and the portions were very substantial. We felt like nothing was too much to ask for and we would gladly go back!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here on 14 February for the one night. I want to start by praising all the staff who were exceptionally helpful and friendly, not only during our stay but prior to that when I had an exchange of emails. It would be wonderful to have this level of attention everywhere, so full marks to the staff. The hotel building is 300+ years old and that serves to add a certain charm to the place. The fact that all of the floorboards creaked did not dismay me as this appeared to blend in with the history of the place. Our room and en-suite were spotlessly clean. We had a very large and very comfortable king size bed. I had opted for a more expensive room choice and, yes, the room was a decent size except there was a second bed in the room which meant that circulation space was tight. The en-suite was also very tight for space with nowhere really to set out our toiletries. It was very clean though. I would say I was just a bit disappointed with the lack of space in the bedroom and the en-suite.
It would be difficult to say that the location was idyllic as the main outlook was on to the A9.
While the food was generally very good I could not go as far as some reviewers when they describe it as amazing. I think these reviews heightened my expectations beyond reality. Also, why is that so many places, on their breakfast menus, list "kippers" when they then serve a single kipper?
There was also a certain lack of a residents' lounge. There was a smallish anteroom to the dining room that could seat 6 guests awaiting their tables but there appeared to be nowhere to stretch out after dinner while engaging other residents in amiable conversation.
All in all we enjoyed our Valentine's stay, but not quite enough to keep us from trying out some of the alternative hotel options should we visit Pitlochry again.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed there for 3 nights in february for a break and it was fantastic.The rooms were beautifully decorated and maintained and were kept absolutley spotless.We were put into the red drummond room which was lovely and cosy.The bathroom came equipped with a jacuzzi.The staff were very friendly,especially the lovely karen,who despite being rushed off her feet the whole time,was professional,helpful and very thoughtful.The food was delicious...well presented and mouth watering...really good...and of course the bed was so comfy.Overall a great place to stay and we will definately go back again!!!

1  Thank Hazel W
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed an overnight for valentines weekend and it was lovely! The food was amazing!! Cannot fault it at all and the room we stayed in with a four poster bed and jacuzzi bath was lovely! Robes were also a nice touch! Staff all introduced themselves and were very welcoming! Would definitely go back, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Found this on a random internet search, had all we wanted fabulous bedroom with real log fire, Jacuzzi four poster bed, upgraded to romantic hamper with prosecco chocolates late check out etc, warm and friendly greeting, the best part was the food,utterly divine, and rhe knowledge of what wines worked well with chosen dishes was nice, breakfast too was great,

Really enjoyed our stay ans would happily recommend it, right down to the cheeky decor in the bar gents,

Thanks to all for making our break special

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel many years ago and were looking forward to our overnight stay, especially with the reviews on BOOKING.COM and the many culinary awards boasted by the hotel. The visit started well with a generous upgrade to a room with a four-poster bed, and ended well with a fine breakfast. But we were deeply disappointed with dinner. It was no better than mediocre pub grub. They even forgot the vegetables (and brought dinner rolls half way through our main course). The apology (next morning after we had checked the menu) seemed unauthentic. On checkout we expressed our disappointment, but only more apologies were offered. We felt that we hadn't got what we paid for with dinner, and felt conned by the many awards displayed.

3  Thank Derek A
EmmaAitken, Manager at East Haugh House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2015

We are so sorry to read that your dining experience was a let down. Please accept our sincere apologies for forgetting your vegetables, which I understand were brought to you once this was flagged up, and we're sorry for the delay with your bread rolls. This is not up to our usual excellent standards which we strive to deliver for all our guests. As you will see from many other reviews on our TripAdvisor page, guests leave very pleased with their meal so we are so disappointed that this was not the case for you.
Thank you for your kind comments about your breakfast experience, i'm glad this was up to your expectations. Breakfast at East Haugh House is a highlight and many guests have said it's the best hotel breakfast they've ever had!
We are so pleased you were delighted with you free upgrade to a 4 poster room. I hope this in some way made up for the disappointment. We look forward to welcoming you back to East Haugh House soon.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I booked a last minute one night stay at the East Haugh. From the moment of booking, the staff were very forthcoming and friendly. Sophie, in particular emailed with the menu and upgraded our room to the 'Dusty Miller', a huge room with a huge bathroom and jacuzzi bath. Perfect after a days walking. The carpet in the bathroom was a bit of strange one, but no biggie.

Dinner was brilliant, despite waiting for quite a while. It seemed like we had been forgotten, a wee bit. The only disappointing part to the evening.

I would recommend the lamb. Just quality. My wife had the pasta, and the only thing I would say is to perhaps have a little more options for veggies. I often choose the veggie option and the pasta just wasn't enough.

Breakfast was lovely. The food in general was great throughout!
I'd recommend this for couples wanting to get away from the city for a day or two.