“Charming Hotel with exceptional staff”
Review of East Haugh House

East Haugh House
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 22 July 2009

My girlfriend and I recently spent a week driving around Scotland and this was one of our favorite places to stay. The owner, Leslie, greeted us upon revival with the warmest welcome - she was very friendly & chatty and made us feel like friends. We enjoyed our drinks on the front patio with a great view of the hills. The other staff was very friendly, particularly the waitresses who genuinely seemed interested in making sure we were comfortable during our stay.

The room was great -- very spacious, clean & charming. My girlfriend loved taking a bubble bath in the jacuzzi tub.

Its in a great location to get to Pitlochry -- some may complain its too close to the highway but we slept with the windows open (facing the highway) and slept like babies. You're quite a distance from the road to be disturbed.

The only thing to bring up that I thought was odd: we were asked when we wanted to eat dinner, either in the restaurant or bar. The restaurant is more upscale (and better lit) than the darker, bar (although still nice). We said the restaurant & came down for dinner at the given time. The staff was not in the restaurant so we sat ourselves. We were then told by a waitress that she had set a table for us in the bar. We asked if we could stay in the restaurant, we didnt want to eat in the bar -- we were then given menus & told we could order in the bar where a table was set for us. My GF and I both looked at each other puzzled --- for some reason, they wanted us out of the restaurant. When we went to the bar, we saw other guests sitting there --- the only thing I can assume is that the bar is for hotel guests, the restaurant is for locals. I found this disappointing. If you're paying for a room, you could at least be allowed to eat in the restaurant.

Not a huge deal, we still enjoyed the food and the East Haugh House overall.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 July 2009

The hotel has 2.5 miles of excellent fishing on the Tay which is why I stayed. I'd like to say a big thank you to all the staff who made sure I was well looked after with packed lunches and kept the bar open for me when I was fishing late.
Have I mentioned the food yet? They say an army marches on its stomach. I can only say it was very difficult to concentrate on the fishing come dinner time.
I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Hotel and if I do anymore fishing around the Pitlochry area, its certainly going to be the place I stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2009

We stayed overnight while a party of friends stayed for two nights. We all enjoyed it thoroughly. At the hotel (family owned and run) they could not do enought for us. The friendliness of everybody, the cleanliness of the place, the quality of the food, these were all outstanding. We would all warmly commend the Hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2009

We stayed at East Haugh House for two nights. The hotel is a lovely building with very friendly and considerate staff. The room exceeded our expectations. As we were on a Dinner/Bed and Breakfast rate, it was a great pleasure to enjoy the three course dinner in the evening. The food was excellent, downright outstanding. The sole disadvantage we recognized is the highway in about 250 m distance from the hotel. Anyway, we hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2009

We arrived on a Friday evening and there was a logfire set in the East Haugh Room awaiting us. As it was a beautiful evening we did not need it but how wonderful it would be in early spring, autumn or wintertime!
There was a lovely jacuzzi bath and comfy robes to lounge around in. Dinner was lovely in the beautifully set dining room. We went for a walk along a quiet road adjacent to hotel later.
At breakfast, the porridge was finest ever tasted by one Scotsman (who has very discerning taste in that department!)
A lovely wee oldy worldy getaway!
Perhaps a wee bitty over-priced though.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2009

You could not ask for friendlier service, better rooms. The family who run the hotel are honestly some of the nicest people I have ever met and nothing was too much trouble. The food I think should be Michelin star because it is sooo fantastic. All of it comes at such a reasonable rate too...

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2009

We had a lovely stay at the house hotel and were made to feel very welcome. The food was amazing. We loved everything, but I personally will remember the seafood risotto for a long time.

My husband and my father also experencied fly fishing on the Tay, as organised by the hotel. The day out was memorable for both and East Haugh was the perfect base for this.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family