Atholl Arms Hotel
US$175
Rosemount Hotel(Pitlochry)(Great Value!)
US$132
Hotels.com
The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel(Pitlochry)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$114
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
US$275
Priceline
All reviewsbothy barbaronial hallblair castleafternoon teaminstrels gallerysister hoteltraditional scottish hoteldining roomroaring firebar mealsreal alebit datedreception areameringuesteak pietrain stationevening meal
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I visited this hotel on three occasions while staying in the area - using the bar area with our party of four for drinks and a meal. We found the locally brewed beer fluctuated wildly in quality - from very good on our first visit to really awful on two subsequent visits - and this applied to more than one cask ale we tried.
But worse was to come. Our trip coincided with the final week of the WorId Cup and I decided to follow the advice of a big sign at the Atholl Arms that declared "Watch the World Cup Here!"
I watched the first semi final (safely drinking Guinness) without mishap as it ended in normal time.
The second semi between Holland and Argentina ended after extra time - but for me and two Dutch guys who were seated at the same table - it ended 15 minutes earlier.
Last orders at the bar were announced before 11pm so I stocked up with a pint to take me through extra time and penalties if necessary. Extra time began at 11ish and then, horror - a member of the bar staff told us to drink up because they were closing.
I pointed out that there was 15 minutes left of the match but he just muttered something about licensing laws and told us to leave. At 11.15 - half time in extra time - he switched off the set!
The two Dutch guys were speechless. I was infuriated - pointing out that they advertised the place as a location to watch the football and that I'd been there since 8.30pm for this reason.
My parting shot was a suggestion that if Scotland wanted to be independent it had better improve the way it dealt with tourists.
I can only assume that the bar staff had finished their shift and wanted to go home. Fair enough but surely a place of that size has a night porter or someone on the premises to look after the residents - several of whom were also in the bar and had to leave. At least they could have seen the rest of the match in their rooms.
Quite frankly this episode was pathetic on several levels. It's quite a nice place, if somewhat gloomy in the bar, but they've let themselves down badly in my opinion.
Whatever happened to customer service and common sense?
Don J
Altrincham

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Don J
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We saw June out and July in, with 5 nights here (again) and we had the 'best of times' (again)!! .... as is always the case. The staff are always welcoming and helpful - they offer the traditional Scottish hospitality and we love it there. Holding our breath until we can visit again. Thanks very much for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Can't understand how this place gets rave reviews. Stopped here for lunch a couple of weeks ago and was soooo disappointed. First of all the place is so dark and drab it is difficult to see! We decided to order Caesar salad with prawns which arrive as Caesar salad with chicken! It was the most boring and unimaginative salad ever. Along with the chicken was lettuce tomato and cucumber and that was it. Give it a miss!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank JedNorthumberland
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed here during our visit in May. We attended the Highland Games down the street at the castle. Each night we got to eat dinner outside on picnic tables that the bar served. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are quaint, and the atmosphere homey. I will be back to this place when I return to Scotland.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here for one night and had a wonderful experience . Good old fashioned hotel in a beautiful location . The room was spotless and very comfortable , we had a meal in the bar which was 1st class . All the staff were very attentive in every detail . Nothing needs changing as it has its own charm a welcome change to some sterile hotels with no atmosphere . We will be returning to repeat the experience .

Room Tip: Our room faced the front and was very quiet
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends