“Fantastic coffee in a superb area of Highland Perthshire.”
Review of Port-na-Craig Inn

Port-na-Craig Inn
Ranked #11 of 56 Restaurants in Pitlochry
Price range: US$26 - US$32
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
“Fantastic coffee in a superb area of Highland Perthshire.”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

If it's coffee your after in Pitlochry then head to Portnacraig. The best coffee in town bar none. Thanks to wonder waitress

1 Thank Steve W

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Rip Off City - Even The Tap Water's Rationed !”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We ate here a number of year's back and recall having a reasonable meal and a decent experience . This time around it was quite different . If I was assessing based on food alone , I'd be happy to award a three star rating . However , our whole experience was poor and not one that will be repeated.
On arrival, there appeared to be some difficulty in locating our reservation - it was a packed out Restaurant on an early Friday evening , with about 2/3 of the clientele ( ourselves included ) heading to the Festival Theatre just up the hill .We were allocated a table in the main restaurant .Due to the low hanging ceiling and the packed out restaurant , the room was unpleasantly warm . We were given the pre-theatre menu priced at £21.95 for 2 courses and £24.95 for three . This price structure is way over the top compared to our native Glasgow , where as theatre goers we regularly eat in better restaurants where menus are priced around £15.95 for three courses . Interestingly , the Festival Theatre's menu is identically priced - a nice little cartel going on there guys ?
Choice from the menu was pretty restricted . I raised an eyebrow at the supplement attaching to the rib-eye steak - £5 PLUS a £3.50 supplement for an accompanying sauce ! Come on, get real , an £8.50 supplement on a pre-theatre menu for what is hardly a prime cut of meat adorned ( less than liberally I'm sure , based on the house policy on portion control ) by a sauce ? Incidentally , unlike other restaurants , no indication is given to the weight of steak one is purchasing - bit naughty that ,but I suspect the reason is that it will be at the lower end of the scale.
So the steak was body swerved . We both ended up with the same starter - Haggis , Neeps and Tatties . It was a flavoursome dish but was served as a ridiculously small portion - the smallest we've ever seen for such a dish .We are talking half a teaspoon of turnip adorning the parsimonious combination of haggis and potato ; shameful really . My main of chicken and couscous was better proportioned ( although not generous ) and was reasonably cooked. My wife took the fish risotto which was acceptable. I figured that I didn't have much to lose by taking pudding - after all , it was only costing £3.00 whereas the starter and main were £21.95 combined- .I took the Cranachan which was disappointing - absolutely no taste of either the honey or the Drambuie . I suspect that they were both there , but it servings so miniscule that discernment by the human palate becomes impossible !
Regarding drinks , a similar stunt to the steak is pulled with the bottled beer .I ordered a Becks at £3.75 - I'd assumed I was buying a reasonably sized bottle of 330mls. Not so ! The smallest bottle of Becks I've ever seen appeared - 275 mls ! No doubt the house strategy is that one is forced to buy 2 bottles in order to placate one's thirst .Didn't fall for that one but assuaged my drouth by asking for a jug of tap water - when a restaurant is stingy , it just gets my back up so I immediately curb my spending, thereby reducing their profits - hate getting ripped off. No need for it .Just greed - other establishments play the game and are rewarded by me with a generous spend.
Did we get a jug of tap water ? Nope .One was brought to the table and our small water glasses filled .We had to find a server to get a refill . So it's official - TAP WATER IS BEING RATIONED AT PORT-NA-CRAIG INN ! We declined the offer of coffee , not so much because of the fact that we had resolved to minimise our spend , more so because the cups used for the purpose looked as though they had been nicked from a doll's house - consistently parsimonious to the end ! Stay at home Gulliver !
We paid our bill and , notwithstanding the perfunctory service , left a tip . We left the restaurant without a fond farewell from the owner or any of her staff . I suppose that sums it all up - they've got a gold mine location here , don't have to try too hard and will be squeezing out big profits by exercising forensic portion control .We'll not be adding to the owner's wedge in the future .
You have been warned folks - if the weather's decent , don't book here , make up a super picnic and enjoy it on the banks of the Tummel - you shouldn't then go hungry or thirsty !

5 Thank Jeb S
Forfar
“Excellent”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Lovely location, overlooking the river. Excellent food with friendly staff. Definitely worth a visit

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Samur23
Motherwell, United Kingdom
“Itison voucher!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Lovely location, sullen lady showed us to our seat, took the voucher, then got totally mixed up over the price of supplement for steak....yet she had the printed voucher! I checked later when I had wifi...we were charged £8 but voucher says £7. This is minor but we have never experienced this confusion or lack of hospitality with other vouchers. Food was OK but I would have been very dissapointed if I has paid full price.

2 Thank Customer1_12
Merseyside
“Excellent food”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We had food from the pre-theatre menu (the restaurant is very close to the Theatre in Pitlochry). The food was excellent. The location of the restaurant is very nice - by the river and across from Pitlochry itself. Would return on any future visit to the area to sample food from the A La Carte menu.

Visited August 2014