“in transit”

Enterkine House Hotel
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
Reviewed 29 August 2014

My wife and I were on our way to Arran and needed to stay somewhere in Ayrshire the evening before the ferry, and after much trawling, we decided on the Enterkine. We enjoy country hotels, and the description did not disappoint.

The long tree lined drive was lovely, and ended with the roundabout infront of reception. First impressions as always, are a good indicator as to what will follow. The gardens are well maintained, grass properly edged, and few weeds noticeable. Even though the weather was filthy, the gardens impressed.

Reception was proffessional and efficient, and we changed rooms, because of an extracion noise, and were given the Enterkine suite which is stunning. It has the biggest balcony of any room in which I've stayed, and only the awful weather prevented us enjoying what must be imposing panoramic views. My dog, as ever, was made very welcome, but still £10 00 a night charge, which aggravates.

We did not dine, but are aware that a michelin starred chef was cooking that evening. Only four couples were in evidence and two couples dined...not surprising...it was Sunday.

The dining room and lounge are beautifully welcoming and relaxing, and my wife and I enjoyed a drink before retiring. My only complaint was that prices for drinks are not displayed...I do like to know before purchase.

Breakfast was well presented with good service, and a good range of choice, in an immaculate setting, and my wife and I would most certainly visit again.

Dog also enjoyed running through soaking and muddy storm drains, in rain storm.

Did I mention dog charges?...No, won't spoil a good review...

Room Tip: The Enterkine suite is a must!!
1  Thank John A
There are newer reviews for Enterkine House Hotel

Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a superb overnight Groupon offer with the missus. I upgraded to the Lodge and won major brownie points as it was lovely. Food and service impeccable well worth trying dinner, was beautiful. No mobile reception or Wi-Fi in The Lodge the only downside but otherwise fantastic

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Douglas W
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights last week with my son. We were given the Studio suite which is situated down from the main building in a former farmhouse. This was a bonus as it was spacious and had kitchen facilities. The hotel is set in rolling farmland and is quite peaceful (apart from when the hotel is under the flight path of nearby Prestwick Airport). The management and staff were very courteous and welcoming. Not having Wifi access in the studio and poor Vodafone reception was a bit irritating. We didn't use the restaurant but had breakfast each morning. It was average and could do with improvement. Overall a pleasant stay.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MacConduibh
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed here for two nights earlier this week and had a lovely, relaxing time. Old style hotel, full of character, beautifully kept with amazing food, and possibly the best 'pud' I have ever had, worth staying just for that, you won't be disappointed!

3  Thank CrosNest
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Hi spent 2 night at Enterkine House on 3rd August.
One of the best stay's ever.
We booked through Secret escapes and this is a secret that I am happy to share.
We stayed in the Boswell.
I was impressed by the size of the room, bathroom.
You could have had a whole family over for a party.
The food was excellent.
We were blessed with great weather and enjoyed the gardens.
This is now quite high up on our favourite list.
Enterkine House should be very proud of all staff.
From reception to dinning , to chiefs ,to gardening, room service you were all brilliant nothing was too much bother.
Thank you so much we will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in The Boswell. Next time I would love to stay in the Enterkine view or Margarita suit.
2  Thank Elizabeth D
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Spent a few nights at this hotel for the Commonwealth Games and thoroughly enjoyed it. We stayed in the Marguerite Suite which was spacious and had what was possibly the largest/best bathroom of anywhere I've ever stayed ! The staff were all very nice and friendly and offered very helpful advice about getting around Glasgow. The surroundings are also amazing with plenty of walks to pass the time which again reception were more than happy to tell you about. We ate dinner at the hotel at the first night and whilst on first glance it may seem expensive , the food is amazing and worth every penny ! My only criticism would be the same could not be said for breakfast which was a slightly disappointing as we found the coffee to be very weak on a few occasions and on one day had to wait 25 minutes after ordering for croissants to arrive. Overall a great stay though and I would certainly recommend it !

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank James M
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I attended this hotel for a wedding in March 2014 and for one night. The wedding party had exclusive access to the entire hotel.
My room was the ex-honeymoon suite so it was very big and had a huge balcony that looked out across the hills. I really can't fault the views from this hotel! The location is a bit out of the way as well but it's peaceful and tranquil.
Our room was clean and comfortable, with a huge bed. The bathroom was built into the corner of the room and seemed a bit tacked-on I guess? Compared to how posh the furniture in the room was, the bathroom was quite basic. It was clean though which is what you want! While we were there they were having problems with the boiler so the entire hotel didn't have any hot water. The receptionist was really apologetic about it though, and we got discounts on our rooms. The service was brilliant - they couldn't do enough for us. However, one of the staff (an English lady, she never introduced herself so I don't know her name) was a bit rude - we felt like we were in her way and she couldn't be bothered with us, which wasn't a nice experience. She took unfinished drinks away while people were having photos taken (I had to chase after her to get mine back) and wasn't at all welcoming to the groom when he arrived in the morning. But other than that, the service from the rest of the staff was great.
The ceremony and breakfast rooms were both lovely (for a small wedding party) and had a nice homely feel. We moved into a massive marquee in the grounds for the evening do which was gorgeous inside.
Breakfast the next morning was a mixture of cooked and a buffet, and it was delicious - can't fault the food at all.
Overall, this is a lovely hotel both for a wedding or just for a break in the idyllic Ayrshire surroundings. The hotel is clean and comfortable, and definitely gives off a friendly, warm and homely vibe. The food is good and the staff are welcoming. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank MercuryBelle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayr
Western House Hotel
Fairfield House Hotel
The Marine Hotel
The Marine Hotel
#5 of 6 in Troon

Been to Enterkine House Hotel? Share your experiences!