“Good for 1 night”

Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
“Good for 1 night”
Reviewed 14 February 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from 1 night stay here. It was ok. Public areas good bedrooms were a disappointment. I found bed quite firm for me. I am normally not that bothered but I noticed it. Bathrooms could definitely do with an update. Toilet moved and grout missing in places. When I switched tv off, I could still here programme I was watching as next door obviously were too! I didn't eating hotel in evening - great pub next door - much better value and freshly cooked. Breakfast was a bit of disappointment. hot buffet not in operation. Ordered from waiter. Felt like i was on rations! Overall if I ever go back to Ayr, I would try my luck elsewhere!

• Stayed February 2013
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay with ourselves.

I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. My maintenance team have addressed the issues you had in the bathroom. The beds however are all new but I am sorry that you felt it was not comfortable.

I have passed your comments regarding breakfast on to my Head Chef.

I do hope that you will revisit the hotel in the future and would be grateful if you would contact myself directly and I will look after your booking.

Lindsay Steele

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2013

My husband and i booked this hotel as a short break with two other family members. we were given a room on the 6th floor, our family 2nd floor, their room was lovely, clean warm and welcoming. ours on the other hand was freezing cold, so much so the four of us had to move to the room on the second floor to enjoy a drink and catch up. on returning to get ready to go out after sitting in the bath i was horrified to discover PUBIC HAIR around the bath and tiles. on exiting the bath in my freezing room i went to get under the duvet to keep warm only to discover what could have been FIECES on the sheet! my husband tried to call reception only to discover the phone was broken and had to call from his mobile, we turned tv on, two red lines accross the screne! the lady who came to see us vas very pleasent and helpfull providing us with a heater and making arrangements to change the linning when we had gone out. we returned to our room to descover staff who had changed our bed had switched off our heater, the bedding had been changed though was still stained, on going for a swim next morning in their pool where a huge shard of paint threatens to hit the pool from the ceiling above, the green paint on the walls has dripped down the tiles, the whole leasure complex was below any standard of hygene. we popped to reception to inform them of having to sleep in a cold room ontop of the duvet due to the sheet only to be CHALLENGED by TWO DIFENSIVE managers, we asked them to come up to our room to see that our complaints were genuine, their explanation for our heater being switched off was we had left our window open, which we did, but this was due to my husbands severe asthma and an attempt to prevent it being agravated by the dry heat of a convector heater, management then inform us we are being fined for smoking in the room despite having seen me standing at the door several times to smoke, this was due to me having half of a ciggarette in my jacket pocket, any1 whos done this will kno it smells, so i threw it down the loo,,, this gave them reason to fine us £60. next thing i know they pull towels from a laundry basket, and produce another fine of £30 as they have fake tan on them! managements attitude towards us were disgusting. we have taken pictures of the black dampness creeping up the wall and to the ceiling in our room. for our second night we moved a five min drive away to a georgous hotel on ayrs racecourse where the staff and room was amazing AND it was £3 cheeper!! the mercure management dont have customer care skills only customer scare. working in the hospitality industry for many years myself, iv never had an experience quite like it........

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynn M

Travellers are raving about these Ayr hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I stayed here for two nights recently and found the hotel to be clean, the beds comfortable, the bathroom well finished and the staff extremely helful. The function suites were recently decorated and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the middle of the corridor - equidistant from the noise from the elevators and the...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MoiraS78
Lindsay S, Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Mercure Ayr.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I was attending a seminar for four days at Mercure Ayr and decided it would easiest to stay at the hotel itself and I'm so glad I did. The room was very clean and comfortable. Bed comfy too. Bathroom adequate. I slept we'll, ear plugs helped, but there's always noise at a hotel. Pool looked nice, but I didn't use it. I was told half the gym was broken, so I used their studio to do some yoga instead. Service was exceptionally friendly, which was my experience of Ayr generally - really nice people in all. Food was very average, so mainly ate at Saffy's across the road which I can't recommend highly enough. Really delicious food and wonderful service in an intimate setting.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel.

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with ourselves. I will pass your comments regarding friendliness on to the team who do take pride in ensuring our guests have an enjoyable stay.

I will pass your comments regarding the equipment in the gym on to my Leisure Manager

I do hope that should you return to Ayr in the future you do choose to stay with ourselves.

Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Stayed here overnight whilst visiting Ayr.Booked a twin room with sea view.Although the room was very small,it was spotless and had everything we needed.The rooms have been refurbished since we last stayed there,Flatscreen tv,wifi,movies to rent,comfy beds although pillows were not to my liking.take your own tea and coffee as there were only two teabags and hardly any sugar,two uht milks,and some coffee sachets.we asked for more sugar and teabags as we had bought fresh milk,they gave us 4 bags and 3 sugars!.We had a swim in the pool which was clean and the changing rooms were well looked after.I cannot comment on the food as we ate elsewhere as it was better value for money.The staff were also very good.It costs £2 to park during your stay.Would use this hotel again for the pool,but prefer the local b and b,s when only staying for one night.

Room Tip: High floor facing the front will give you a lovely sea view.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your feedback.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with ourselves. The majority of rooms have been upgraded and we are currently in the process of upgrading more bedrooms.

I will pass your comments regarding the housekeeping issues to my Head Housekeeper.

I do hope that you will book with us when you next return to Ayr.

Scotland
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel between Christmas and New year and would not recommend it to anyone. The kettle in the room had been used to make coffee & had never been cleaned. The whining noise in the room from the window was terrible and eventually we had to change rooms in the middle of the night. In the morning we waited 15 minutes for breakfast and left when we could not get served. There was only one waitress working in the breakfast area. I am still waiting for the manager to get back to me about my stay. The only good thing about the Hotel was the professionalism of the reception staff both during the day and at night.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RuddyScotland
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your feedback concerning your recent stay with us.

I understand your comments regarding your room and will pass your comments on to the Maintanence team to look into. We hope that there will be investment made to upgradeour bedrooms and areas of our hotel.

We hope that on returning to Ayr we will be given the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.