“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Ayr
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Felt I had to write a review after reading all the negative ones which have been posted lately.
My Husband and I visit the Mercure in Ayr each November for our anniversary and have been doing so for the past 9 years. We have always found the staff very helpful and the rooms clean and comfortable. The Hotel is in a great location - 2 minutes from bars, restaurants and shops. The Leisure centre is also great and we always make use of this at some point during our visit. The pool area could do with a lick of paint but is always clean and well managed. We normally only opt for either room only or bed and breakfast deals. Breakfast is buffet style with more than enough choice for everyone to enjoy a hearty breakfast. Already booked for this November and looking forward once more to our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room - overlooks a main road but not at all noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your review, it is always pleasing to hear such positive feedback.

I am delighted to read that this will be your tenth year staying with us and I will be sure to pass your feedback on to the team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back for your stay in November and if you contact us at the hotel, we can try to arrange a sea-view room for you.

Lindsay Steele

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from1 night stay, dinner bed and breakfast. On first impressions the hotel does look run down, needs a gd lick of paint and freshen up. We were greeted by friendly reception on arrival but our room wasnt ready at 2pm. We sat for 10 mins and then got our keycard. We were on third floor in an upgraded room with sea view. The room was fine and had the extras which was gd, bathrobes, slippers, coffee machine etc. The meal at night was excellent, the restaurant very quiet. The staff were so friendly. Breakfast again was excellent, one staff member not so pleasant :( maybe because it was early morning. Would I stay here again, yes. Thankyou mercure. Ps please please book beauty treatments well in advance. There were none for 2 days when I arrived! !

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mrsfusion1981
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel, I am delighted that it was an enjoyable one.

There are certain areas of the hotel that can do with a spruce up and we are hoping that, over time, investment will be made to these areas.

I am delighted that you found the team friendly and helpful other than that one person at breakfast. This is something that they are often praised for and I know that they will take great motivation from your comments.

I am delighted that you will be staying again and the whole team will look forward to welcoming you back.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

we had no milk or teabags and had to buy our own teabags. we waited 6 hours and 3 requests to get towels and milk, there were no soap or shower wash or shampoo in bathroom, bathroom area smelled very strong of urine, beds were clean or we would have requested another room, we washed with baby wipes as we couldn't stay in the bathroom long enough to take a bath or shower, if we had been asked if we enjoyed our stay when booking out we could have raised these matters, but we were not, the girl just took the card key checked to see if we owed them any money and she looked up and said ( right that's you ) mrs j galloway

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank janette g
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review although I was very disappointed to hear that your stay was not an enjoyable one.

It has come as quite a shock to read your review as this is an area that does not often receive negative comments. They will most certainly be passed on to my Housekeeping Manager to investigate as I would like to believe that you were not without all these items for the duration of your stay. I would also like to know why your bathroom smelt and if you were unable to bath or shower for both nights of your stay. If this was indeed the case then please accept my apologies and know that this will be dealt with. Similarly if it took six hours for your requested towels and milk to arrive.

I can assure you that your experience is not typical of a stay with us and should you return you will see that this is not the case.

Kind regards

Lindsay Steele

Travellers are raving about these Ayr hotels

Lincs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed here for one night whilst touring Scotland for a few days and meeting up with some friends in Ayr before moving on. We booked this hotel on a room only basis. Upon arrival of room the toilet was rather grim and had definitely not had a clean after the previous guestshad used it! There was a bad stain on the carpet near the dressing table. The bathroom ceiling was mouldy and looked like it could come down at any minute. We had a room at the rear of the hotel which overlooked the car park and where the seagulls liked to meet up and wake you up at 4am! Groups of men coming back in at the early of hours of the morning after drinking in town and slamming bedroom doors. We departed early as we were moving on to another hotel (luckily) and so pleased we didn't book breakfast. In fairness the hotel have offered us a free night as we completed the questionnaire which received from them but we won't be back in Ayr for a while and to be honest we would not return anyway

Room Tip: Not one overlooking the car park
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ErnieCOne
Dear Guest

Thanks for the review and filling in our questionnaire to tell us about your stay at the hotel. I am disappointed that your stay was not as enjoyable as it should be.

At the Mercure Ayr Hotel we strive to exceed our guest's expectations and unfortunately on this occasion it appears we have failed to do so.

As discussed via e-mail I hope that we have now come to an acceptable conclusion.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

My room on the fourth floor had a view down to the sea. It was not overlooking the beach, you understand because the Ayr Mercure is in the town but the beach is walkable in a slow ambling style in about five minutes and all the rest that the town has to offer like the Gaiety Theatre shops and cinema are on your doorstep.
I chose this hotel because I like Mercures (see my review of the excellent one in Letchworth). I also chose it because it was close to the railway station. I arrived in Ayr by train from Glasgow. The taxi ride from the station was less than £3.00 and the driver, pleasant and friendly.
So too were the reception staff. I had booked and paid via an agency and my stay cost £62.00 for the night - it would have been £41.00 if I had stayed on a Sunday night.
My room was large and pleasantly decorated and bright with a large window. The bed was very comfortable and even the screeching of the seagulls didn't spoil my sleep. In the morning I noticed the flat screen HD ready tv had a really bad quality of picture like it suffered from poor reception. I was amazed to see such a poor BBC1 signal.
The bathroom with its tub and shower was a little tired looking but everything worked and the toiletries were ample for three star.
The town of Ayr "wham ne'er a toon surpasses for honest men and bonnie lasses" as Burns put it, is looking very shabby these days. Particularly along the front. The council really should do something about brightening the place up. I know we've had a recession but Ayr is the county town of Ayrshire and needs more places like the Mercure.
The Ayr Mercure's public rooms are far from down at heel looking. The bar is bright and modern as is the whole lounge area and the lager I had was icy cold and tasty.
I had noticed complaints on tripadvisor about service in the restaurant and decided not to dine or indeed have breakfast at the hotel - an extra £10 for the buffet breakfast.
My one disappointment was with the Spa. The person who greeted me when I went for a swim was perfectly pleasant. But the male changing room and the pool area is desperately in need of refurbishment and decorating. Again everything worked - the jacuzzi and the showers and the steam room were operating but with paint peeling and doors hanging off the lockers and a general air of decrepitude it was not a nice place to spend much time.
I did not check out the treatment areas but I did see a gym area which seemed well-equipped.
I noticed as I checked out a plaque commemorating the opening of the hotel as the Caledonian Hotel in 1980's.
It has been through a few changes of ownership since I imagine and the closing of many businesses in the area and the curtailing of flights into nearby Prestwick Airport must have affected hotels as fewer people visit Ayr on business and air crews no longer night stop there.

In conclusion a handy place to stay if like me you need to spend the night in Ayr but as it stands I would not recommend it as a holiday destination.

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth floor look to have been recently refurbed.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your in-depth review of your stay with us, although I was disappointed that your stay did not exceed your expectations.

I was pleased to read your praise for the reception team and your room, and that you were able to enjoy a nice cold beer. The areas that you describe as needing improved are ones that we are aware of and hoping to have investment in over a period of time.

Should you be passing through Ayr in the future I do hope that you may consider staying with us again, and should you do so we will look forward to welcoming you back.