“Brilliant Hotel, great location”
Review of Mercure Ayr Hotel

Mercure Ayr Hotel
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Hotel, great location”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I recently stayed here as part of a longer holiday in Scotland The staff, although very busy took time to look after me and my disabled partner to ensure everything was accessible to us. The rooms were clean and well maintained and the hotel is central for all amenities. The service is well run and every single member of staff took the time to greet us whenever they passed us in the hotel.
Thank you so much for your hospitality, my next trip to Scotland will involve a stay in this hotel

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay at the hotel, it is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

The team are often praised for the service that they provide and I am delighted that you found them to be welcoming and friendly as well. Nothing is ever too much trouble to ensure that your stay is as enjoyable as possible.

We will look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Scotland and if we can be of any assistance then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Lindsay Steele

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Ayrshire, Scotland
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I was in Ayr for the weekend on business and booked in at this hotel. My room was nice clean and comfortable. I also had tea and coffee in the room and an iron and iron board. The television was a good size to watch. I was very happy with my room and the location meant it was not far from all the shops. Every single meal at this hotel was delicious. The breakfast in the morning was one of the best I have ever had in a hotel. A great choice of menu and nice pleasant staff serving. I would recommend this hotel to all my work colleagues and would comes here and book in just for a meal anytime I am in Ayr. The cooks in this hotel are first class. The only negative point I have is that the main toilets could be improved . Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Some higher rooms have a nice seaview
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your review, it is always a pleasure to read such positive feedback. The Chef will no doubt be delighted that you enjoyed your meals with us and he will be sure to pass your compliments on to his team.

As previously mentioned, there are areas of the hotel that do require some modernisation, the toilets being one of them. We are hopeful that head office will provide the required investment over time in order for us to attend to these.

We look forward to your next stay with us and hope that this will be very soon.

Southampton, NJ
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Hotel rooms are the typical European style, small, very basic, no air conditioning. Needs updating, somewhat dirty. Nice bar with good prices, dining area is nice with good food, complemental breakfast, very good.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for the review following your recent stay at the hotel.

I appreciate your comments regarding the areas that require updating, we are well aware of these and are hoping that investment will be made to modernise these.

I am delighted that you made good use of our bar and restaurant and enjoyed these. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team.

bonnie scotland
Reviewed 14 October 2013

stayed here tuesday and wed 8th and 9th october 2013....enjoyed our stay...our Privilage room was very nice,great bed,lovely decor and comfortable,however the bathroom was pretty shabby and the tv not great and quite tempremental,also some areas of the hotel could do with a bit of an upgrade....My main complaint with this hotel is the cost they want to charge for food and drink....way..way to expensive.....if you want breakfast sent to the room its over £18.00 per person and a burger and chips from room service was also going to be this price.....we didn't bother!!!!....I telephoned and asked for a bucket of ice(no fridge in the room) when this arrived I was informed by a young man called "Neil"there would be a £4.00 "tray charge".....eh? It didn't even come on a tray...and it was not even a bucket of ice it was a wine cooler!!!. I objected to this stupid charge....neil said on this occasion he would"do me a favour" and not charge me!!!. He explained that if I had went down to the bar in person I would not have been asked to pay,,,,now this is a midweek night in October,,,the hotel in no way appeared that busy so where is the Customer Service????. I telephoned reception and asked about this...again the girl Christina just went on about this being Company Policy,,,,,cop out. At this point I told Christina that we needed the ice to keep my partners insulin cool.(TYPE 1 DIABETIC)....i was told if I had explained this there would have been no charge or they would store the insulin for us.....Obviously has no knowledge of the importance of insulin I would not know of on person who is a type1 diabetic that would allow his insulin to be out his sight and never mind being stored in a commercial fridge and I do not believe I shoul have to divulge personal health information before I can get "FREE ICE"!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us, although I was disappointed to read that it did not exceed your expectations. Please accept my apologies.

Unfortunately, as a branded hotel, the prices of our food and drink is dictated by head office in order to standardise it across the whole of the estate. It is therefore out with the hotel's immediate control, however I do understand your issue. Any room service item comes with a £3 tray charge attached which, if ordering one of the more expensive burgers, could mean that it totalled £18 as you state in your review.

The policy on ice for guest's rooms is one that we are now looking into. The team on duty were following this and I am sorry that this caused an issue. We regularly have guests staying with us that are diabetic and ask us to store their insulin in our refrigerators until such time that they require it which we are always happy to do.

I am pleased that despite these issues you had an enjoyable stay in one of our privilege rooms and hope that you may consider staying with us again on future visits to Ayr.

livingston scotland
Reviewed 11 October 2013

what was possibly a 3 star hotel at its concept,is now heading to being a 2 star rapidly, as with previous reviews i have read, it is poorly maintained, not cleaned to a good enough standard, and requires to be upgraded sooner rather than later. too many replies to previous posts by management refer to IN THE FUTURE, HOPEFULLY SOME THINGS WILL BE ADDRESSED. ??? i am afraid that in this day and age you (the hotel) take the customers money, so points raised by the customers should be getting sorted by now.
constant complaints about doors banging at night, sort it now, get the door closers fixed.
we booked a superior room with sea view, may have been a superior room many years ago but no longer, dull and dingy, needs a good cleaning, furniture requires replacing. SEA VIEW if you stand on your toes you can make out the sea in the distance over the buildings between hotel and sea..
BREAKFAST : this really lets hotel down (and this IS something management can sort out NOW) this is a tourist hotel, in the middle of ayr, in the middle of rabbie burns country, and you cannot get A FULL SCOTTISH BREAKFAST ???.. you can get A FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST ??. no black pudding/sliced hagis or tattie scones anywhere on the breakfast menu, discraceful..
my wife had scrambled eggs on first morning, overcooked and very dry. i had the full english, again it was overcooked and like a piece of rubber.
second morning my wife opted for two poached eggs,, unfortunately the only difference between the poached eggs and really hard boiled eggs was the shell. again way overcooked.. the lady at next table to ours ordered eggs benadict,, again way overcooked, left without eating it.
surely time management had a word with the chef/cook ?? or employ someone that can fry/boil/scramble eggs.

Room Tip: book one of the cheaper rooms, as you do not get value for money in superior rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for telling us about your recent stay with us although I was disappointed to read that it did not exceed your expectations. Please accept my apologies.
I take on board your comments regarding breakfast, unfortunately as a branded hotel this is an area that is standardised across the board. I will however pass your comments on to Chef to see if there isn't something extra that he can do.
We are as you know aware that certain areas of the hotel are in need of some investment and these concerns have been passed up to head office. In time we are hopeful that investment will be made to modernise these.
I do hope that you might consider staying with us again should you be returning to Ayr. Should you do so I hope we can provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Lindsay Steele

Travellers are raving about these Ayr hotels

Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I did not actually stay in the hotel myself, my cousin and his wife were there for a short break so I went down to spend the day with them as my cousin was not long out of hospital, both he and I are registered disabled, my cousin is also an amputee, the car park to the rear was not very big for the size of the hotel which guests have to pay £2 a day, when booking my cousin thought it was on the sea front as some rooms had views overlooking the sea, it is not only if you are high enough or look down the street opposite that goes down to the sea front
I had planned on having dinner there with my cousin and his wife, and possibly stay over if there was a room available, but I soon changed my mind very quickly,
My first shock was (They were in a disabled room) The were on the third or forth floor!! which we took the lift too, in the event of a fire how would you get a wheelchair user out of the building , someone in my cousins situation if the fire alarm went off through the night would be in serious trouble as he doesn't sleep with his artificial leg, and as we all know you don't use lifts in the event of a fire even if it turned out to be a false alarm, while the disabled toilet and shower had enough room the rest of the room was very cramped, just as well my cousin can manage on sticks, there is no way you would get a wheelchair in the room let alone move about in one,
I was already off the Idea of staying if there and having dinner went out the window when my cousin told me how slow the service was, so having decided not to stay, and the fact I have to get a ferry back to Argyll or a very long drive meant I would not be able to have dinner with them, we went out for the day, leaving my car in the car park I went with my cousin and his wife in there car, we returned about 6pm and the car park was utter mayhem with cars on the mini roundabout and right up to the entrance making maneuvering very difficult, there were only a few couple of disabled bays which I was parked in one off but because of the chaotic parking my cousin had to be propped against a parked car while his wife waited for me to drive out of the bay and let her in, there was no where else for her to park in the car park, had I decided to get a room for the night my cousin's wife would have had to try and find somewhere to park overnight, while I stood with my cousin until she got back, If I spend the night over in Ayr it certainly would not be here

Room Tip: Certainly not suitable if you have mobility problems
1 Thank SJBScotland
Dear Guest

For any of our guests staying in our adapted rooms, it’s the hotel policy that their details be added to the Assisted Evacuation List which is supplied to the fire brigade on arrival. All staff on duty are trained in the use of our Evac Chair, which can be used during an evacuation should this be required.

The excellent location in the centre of town does mean that outside space is at a premium. When the hotel is full, it can fill very quickly so I understand your concerns.

I appreciate that you may not consider staying with us in the near future; I hope we may be able to welcome you back in the long term.

glasgow
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed in this great hotel for a mini holiday (Sunday to Tuesday) with my under 5s ahead of picking up my partner who was flying into Prestwick airport which is 15 minutes away in the car. Having stayed at lots of city centre hotels of this price range this one exceeded in value and expectations with being a 5 mins walk from high street, 10 mins walk to beach and having the pool. I was worried when I read reviews about noise but now don't know what the reviewers expected. This hotel is in an amazing location for beach and restaurants, while it was noisey on the Sunday it wasn't anything we couldn't sleep through and when staying in such a central location noise is to be expected. The back of the hotel is probably quieter but I loved the sea views. Personally I found the seagulls cries in the morning more disturbing.

Friendly staff, clean, good food with the typical overprice drinks. Did have a small car park but talked to staff and they explained rules and good places to park on street. Bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean but slightly outdated. Overall the hotel did seem a little tired but the staff could be seem making an effort with everyone saying hello to my girls and housekeeping leaving extra towels and teas in room when requested. Would stay again.

Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay with us, I am delighted that we were able to make it an enjoyable one.

You will read from the many reviews that the team are often praised for their friendly, helpful nature and it pleases me that you too have commented on this. As they constantly strive to ensure every guest's stay is as enjoyable as it can be, your words will no doubt act as motivation.

Thanks once again for the review and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Lindsay Steele
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayr
Fairfield House Hotel
#1 of 17 in Ayr
The Marine Hotel
The Marine Hotel
#5 of 6 in Troon

Been to Mercure Ayr Hotel? Share your experiences!