“Nice friendly hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Ayr
Wishaw, United Kingdom
“Nice friendly hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night when I attended a training course. The rooms I had was really nice double bed tv tea coffee with a couch and table sitting area, I then had a couch bed tv and dressing table which I thought was the toilet so this would've been a family room with your bath shower very nice room. Meals main lunch and breakfast was good and the facilities was a brill swimming pool heated sauna and gym would stay here again and I will be back Feb next year when I have another course. Staff are really nice and helpful also great wee pub next door and hotel is quite central for beach and shops.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your review, I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I am glad that your room exceeded your expectations and that you made good use of our leisure facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back in February for your next training course.

Lindsay Steele

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Elderslie, renfrewwshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Booked a deal for a two night stay and must say we had a nice break. Hotel staff were really friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The food in the restaurant was freshly made would definitely recommend. Central location, pool, and breakfast was very enjoyable. Thanks to the staff for being very accommodating and made us feel welcome. Will look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you had a nice, relaxing stay with us.

As mentioned in many of the reviews, the team are always more than happy to help in any way they can in order to make your stay as enjoyable as they can. It is pleasing to read that you also found them to be friendly and attentive.

The Chef will also be pleased to read your comments regarding the food, I know that he will pass these on to his team.

I am delighted that you will be staying with us again and we will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights last week, location is fantastic, very near the beach front, kids play park and main shopping areas. The rooms are nice with comfortable beds but unfortunately the bathrooms are in need of renovation. The hallways are also needing money spent on them, and creates a poor impression on the hotel. Breakfast was good, although 10am would be better for last sitting as 9.30am was the latest to order any specials and was a bit of a rush.
The pool area and especially the pool changing areas seem really neglected and need modernised.
All staff at the hotel were fantastic and we felt that Mercure should spend money on this hotel to bring it up to the same standard as their staff !

Stayed October 2013
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us, I am pleased that it was a comfortable one.

As a number of reviews have mentioned there are some areas of the hotel that are in need of renovation. These are areas that our head office are aware of and we are confident that, in time, the investment will be made to modernise these.

I am delighted that the areas that we are in direct control of, in this case the team we have at the hotel, continue to receive praise. I will be passing your comments on to them and I am sure they will take great motivation from your kind words.

We hope that you may consider staying with us again should you be returning to Ayr so that the team can look after you once again.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I recently stayed here as part of a longer holiday in Scotland The staff, although very busy took time to look after me and my disabled partner to ensure everything was accessible to us. The rooms were clean and well maintained and the hotel is central for all amenities. The service is well run and every single member of staff took the time to greet us whenever they passed us in the hotel.
Thank you so much for your hospitality, my next trip to Scotland will involve a stay in this hotel

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay at the hotel, it is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

The team are often praised for the service that they provide and I am delighted that you found them to be welcoming and friendly as well. Nothing is ever too much trouble to ensure that your stay is as enjoyable as possible.

We will look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Scotland and if we can be of any assistance then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Ayrshire, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I was in Ayr for the weekend on business and booked in at this hotel. My room was nice clean and comfortable. I also had tea and coffee in the room and an iron and iron board. The television was a good size to watch. I was very happy with my room and the location meant it was not far from all the shops. Every single meal at this hotel was delicious. The breakfast in the morning was one of the best I have ever had in a hotel. A great choice of menu and nice pleasant staff serving. I would recommend this hotel to all my work colleagues and would comes here and book in just for a meal anytime I am in Ayr. The cooks in this hotel are first class. The only negative point I have is that the main toilets could be improved . Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Some higher rooms have a nice seaview
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your review, it is always a pleasure to read such positive feedback. The Chef will no doubt be delighted that you enjoyed your meals with us and he will be sure to pass your compliments on to his team.

As previously mentioned, there are areas of the hotel that do require some modernisation, the toilets being one of them. We are hopeful that head office will provide the required investment over time in order for us to attend to these.

We look forward to your next stay with us and hope that this will be very soon.

Southampton, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Hotel rooms are the typical European style, small, very basic, no air conditioning. Needs updating, somewhat dirty. Nice bar with good prices, dining area is nice with good food, complemental breakfast, very good.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for the review following your recent stay at the hotel.

I appreciate your comments regarding the areas that require updating, we are well aware of these and are hoping that investment will be made to modernise these.

I am delighted that you made good use of our bar and restaurant and enjoyed these. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team.

bonnie scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

stayed here tuesday and wed 8th and 9th october 2013....enjoyed our stay...our Privilage room was very nice,great bed,lovely decor and comfortable,however the bathroom was pretty shabby and the tv not great and quite tempremental,also some areas of the hotel could do with a bit of an upgrade....My main complaint with this hotel is the cost they want to charge for food and drink....way..way to expensive.....if you want breakfast sent to the room its over £18.00 per person and a burger and chips from room service was also going to be this price.....we didn't bother!!!!....I telephoned and asked for a bucket of ice(no fridge in the room) when this arrived I was informed by a young man called "Neil"there would be a £4.00 "tray charge".....eh? It didn't even come on a tray...and it was not even a bucket of ice it was a wine cooler!!!. I objected to this stupid charge....neil said on this occasion he would"do me a favour" and not charge me!!!. He explained that if I had went down to the bar in person I would not have been asked to pay,,,,now this is a midweek night in October,,,the hotel in no way appeared that busy so where is the Customer Service????. I telephoned reception and asked about this...again the girl Christina just went on about this being Company Policy,,,,,cop out. At this point I told Christina that we needed the ice to keep my partners insulin cool.(TYPE 1 DIABETIC)....i was told if I had explained this there would have been no charge or they would store the insulin for us.....Obviously has no knowledge of the importance of insulin I would not know of on person who is a type1 diabetic that would allow his insulin to be out his sight and never mind being stored in a commercial fridge and I do not believe I shoul have to divulge personal health information before I can get "FREE ICE"!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us, although I was disappointed to read that it did not exceed your expectations. Please accept my apologies.

Unfortunately, as a branded hotel, the prices of our food and drink is dictated by head office in order to standardise it across the whole of the estate. It is therefore out with the hotel's immediate control, however I do understand your issue. Any room service item comes with a £3 tray charge attached which, if ordering one of the more expensive burgers, could mean that it totalled £18 as you state in your review.

The policy on ice for guest's rooms is one that we are now looking into. The team on duty were following this and I am sorry that this caused an issue. We regularly have guests staying with us that are diabetic and ask us to store their insulin in our refrigerators until such time that they require it which we are always happy to do.

I am pleased that despite these issues you had an enjoyable stay in one of our privilege rooms and hope that you may consider staying with us again on future visits to Ayr.