“Dated, dirty & disappointing!!!”
Review of Mercure Ayr Hotel

Mercure Ayr Hotel
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Dated, dirty & disappointing!!!”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

The heading above says it all, very poor value for the money we parted with. We payed a little extra for a superior room and feel robbed. The room was VERY dirty, dated, most uncomfortable bed we have ever slept on, net curtains ripped & stained, cobwebs festooned the room, stained carpets, moldy bathroom, poor shower, no bath robes in room and no trouser press in room. We did not sleep a wink and eventually got up at 5am packed our bags and left as soon as we could. They advertise free super fast WiFi for superior rooms but this is not true, got told they are still waiting for BT to set up the super fast WiFi so would have to put up with the standard WiFi connection which was the slowest I have ever encountered, don't advertise something you don't have!!!! Wish we had stayed in the Premier Inn which would have been half the price and more comfortable.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!!!
1 Thank Clint B
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay with us, although I was disappointed to read about the issues with your room. Please accept my apologies.

I believe that our Head Housekeeper has been in contact with your partner reegarding these issues and hope that this has lead to a satisfactory outcome.

I am delighted however that we awere able to help make the function attended by your partner a big success.

Lindsay Steele

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Tricked into a surprise birthday weekend, we had a great time at the Mercure celebrating a birthday I thought I had got away with. The staff couldn't have been nicer, the room was great, and the food and drink fantastic. We will be back again - revenge is sweet.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Guest

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us recently, it is always a pleasure to read such positive feedback.

I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team and we will look forward to your 'revenge' visit in the not too distant future.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Just back from a weekend in Ayr as a birthday surprise, was a good weekend but expected more from this hotel. Was disappointed when I arrived and checked in as when booked we had booked a double room. Receptionist told myself and my partner that it was actually a twin room we would be getting because we had booked this hotel on a deal website - KGB DEALS, and that they didn't give double rooms to people who booked it on a deal website. The beds were pushed together to make a double but it pretty much ruined the weekend as it was terrible trying to sleep when there was a gap constantly down the middle of the bed. Was a bit annoyed as when booked on the deal website it sounded great and was booked as a 'Double room' but this wasn't the case.
Hotel pretty dated, needs plastered and painted in many places. Leisure facilities good but also need some updating. Virtual golf area is nothing like what is advertised, a cold abandoned room with lots of chairs and tables but nobody there. Could do so much more with this space.
Good points - hotel right in city centre, near shops and restaurants, 2 minute walk from the beach and staff are friendly enough. Dinner was good, but breakfast wasn't upto much at all!

Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your review following your recent stay at the hotel although I was disappointed to read that it was not all that it could have been.

We will be investigating the mix up with your booking and I am sorry for any upset or inconvenience that this may have caused. A number of our rooms have beds that can be zipped together to create a king size bed or two seperate single beds.

I am glad that the team were on hand to try and make your stay as enjoyable as possible and that you had an enjoyable evening meal.

I hope that you might consider staying with us again on any future visits to Ayr so that we might provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

glasgow
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed 1 night Oct 20-21st. The hotel bathrooms a little tired but this did not spoil our stay. The breakfast was superb, freshly cooked and good quality. The price was good considering it included use of the pool , gym etc and breakfast.
Only down side was I paid parking fee when I arrived and was asked again for it when leaving so would advise always to request a receipt if paying for any extras.

The pictures featured included some of the service lift that are for staff use only hence the bin bags and rubbish in them so its a bit unfair to portray them as guest lifts.

The hotel overall is clean with friendly staff. I will be back again soon.

Eddie

Room Tip: Get a receipt for anything extra paid for and breakfast is well worth the £10 charge.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for the review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable visit.

I am sorry for the mix-up regarding the payment of your parking. This is a very rare occurance and I am glad that it did not detract from your stay. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team and we will look forward to your next visit.

Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed for 2. Nights on the18th in a privilege room, the room was big with a sea view,but had only 1 bathrobe , 1 pair of slippers , 1 bottle of water, 1 ginger biscuit a bit strange when booked as a couple, nespresso coffee machine full of used coffee containers
No hair dryer , always seemed to be phoning reception for everything when a house keeping check would have rectified this before check in , really noisy inside and out, even tried to charge for complimentary paper which is clearly included in the privilege price and hotel brochure and web site
The staff and the restaurant food may tempt me back in the future

Dear Guest

Thank you for feedback following your recent stay at the hotel, however I was disappointed to read that it did not exceed your expectations.

As mentioned in a reply to a previous post, the issues you have highlighted regarding the items not provided in your Privilege Room have been discussed with the Housekeeping Manager. These issues were brought to my attention over the weekend. She will be investigating these matters with her team and ensuring that, where possible, this does not occur in the furture.

I do hope that the friendly team and the food you experienced during your stay with us is enough to tempt you back to the hotel so that we can show to you that this is not typical of a stay with us. Should you do so we will look forward to welcoming you back.