“Great staff but horrible hotel (needs massive renovation)”
Review of Mercure Ayr Hotel

Mercure Ayr Hotel
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Pros:
Staff is very friendly, knowledgeable and goes out of their way to help you
Breakfast has an okay selection
Large fitness center with pool

Cons:
Mold on bedroom ceiling
Mold on bathroom ceiling
Dirty mattress (and no fitted bed sheets)
Uncomfortable mattress (you can feel every spring)
No actual storage in rooms besides a built in on the wall of the bed
Dirty carpet in room and hallways
No water pressure in the shower or sink
Sink makes noses when running
Room doors are loud
Wi-Fi is very slow and disconnects you frequently
Only three electricity outlets in the entire room
Breakfast is well prepared but fair quality at best
Fitness Center is outdated, doesn’t have the right kind of air conditioning/heating (the whole place smells like it's one room within the pool area)
Not enough parking in the parking lot
The whole place is dated and feels run down, despite the staff's best efforts at keeping it as clean as possible

I feel bad writing this review because every employee I talked to was very friendly and informative but at the end of the day, this hotel deserves one star (or two on it's best day). They really need a massive renovation or at the VERY least, buy some better beds, mattresses and paint the ceilings. I won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Wait until the Mercure desides to put a little money into this hotel, until then find somewhere else...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ry1247
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us although I was disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies.

We are in the process or replacing a large number of the beds in the rooms and are hopeful of investment from the company to rectify other areas that require attention.

I am pleased that the team were able to make your stay more comfortable and will be sure to pass on your compliments.

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

We booked via booking.com for a last minute get away (although there's not much in Ayr). We booked here mainly due to the fact there was a spa facility.
We really enjoyed our time and the room we had (privilege double) was furnished nicely. However sheets weren't cleaned on a daily basis :/
The basement area which has the pool and spa facilities is a bit run down and although we used the pool and jacuzzi it could do with refurbishment. Noticed there was a funny smell and whilst looking around there was a room that looked like an lounge that has a bucket and something dripping and smelt like pee - room door shut and out of bounds sign would have been good. Went to have breakfast on Saturday morning and were informed we didn't have it included and he was kind enough to give us a couple of 50% off cards which was great service in his part as otherwise it's a bit pricey.
Otherwise a great stay and fulfilled what we expected :)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for a review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased that, on the whole, you had an enjoyable time with us and the team were on hand to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel as I was working in Ayr for a production at the gaiety, which is literally 150ft from the hotel. I booked a twin room, upon check in I was told parking was £2 a day which is acceptable, and we added breakfast, which was an extra charge. It was advertised as a buffet, but there was too little people staying in the hotel, we were asked what we'd like. A heads up would have been beneficial.

As for the hotel itself, good location, in the town centre basically, we had a sea view room, all the usual amenities, and I would say the room was decorated to a good standard.

There's is a pool, jacuzzi and gym that you have full access to.

However, it is stated wifi is free, and technically it is, but to get any decent speed it costs £4/hr. Also in the rooms it stated on the tv to use the services it would cost £14.50, which sounded okay, after speaking with reception we were informed it was that charge PER DAY

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank scottm17
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks for the review following your stay with us in January. I am pleased that we were able to meet the needs of your visit.

We will often do a plated cooked breakfast on the mornings which are very quiet. This is to ensure that the product is as fresh as possible. We are always happy to provide whatever a guest requires.

The WIFI is complimentary throughout the hotel and the speed always you to do most things needed during your stay. However for larger downloads you can purchase the higher speed if required.

I hope that should you be working on any more productions at the Gaiety Theatre you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed here after a Christmas night out in Ayr because its location was great plus the car park was just at the rear.
As you enter the hotel it looks very clean and friendly staff were helpful, Although I think if your staying in the hotel I don't think there's any need to pay to park your car that should be free for guests.
I never had any breakfast in the hotel so I don't know what it was like.
The lift looked like it could of done with a good clean....
The rooms were good size & clean enough but very tired looking the bed was very comfortable and clean
Bathroom's were clean enough but very dated and could do with updating.
For what I paid for the night's stay it was ok but I think the hotel needs a good makeover to refresh its tired, grubby appearance especially the bedrooms

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank big-bubbly
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us in December, I hope you had an enjoyable evening.

I appreciate your comments regarding the hotel. There are certainly areas that we are aware need updating or modernisation. Hopefully this will get the required funding so that we can conduct the required cosmetic changes.

The car park is also used by the general public and we discount the use for our hotel guests to only £2 per night which we think is very reasonable for a town centre location.

I do hope that you might consider staying with us again should you be in the area for another night in the town.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Bit late writing review, but I took my husband for a long weekend for his birthday in Feb last year. We had such a great time, we ended up staying an extra night, and had to change all our travel arrangements! Staff were amazingly friendly throughout our stay, dinner was lovely. Great view from room and lots to do in area. We're going to a gig in Glasgow in March and instead of having an extra few days in the city, we are going to Ayr to stay in the this hotel. Forgot to say was great value for money close to everything, pool facilities were good and staff couldn't have done enough for us! Great wee restaurant straight across the street too.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your belated review of your stay with us last year, however it is always a pleasure to recieve such positive feedback.

I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team and we will look forward to seeing you again in March.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Had a lovely time in ayr . The hotel offered great service and room is nice plus absolutely value for money. I thought the staff Fiona was really friendly and helpful. Would stay there again when I visit ayr in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your review of your stay, I am delighted that you had an enjoyable visit.

I will be sure to pass your comments on to Ffyona and hope that we will be able to welcome you back should you next visit Ayr.

Lindsay Steele

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayr
Western House Hotel
#5 of 6 in Troon
Travelodge Ayr
Travelodge Ayr
#9 of 17 in Ayr

Been to Mercure Ayr Hotel? Share your experiences!