“great central hotel”

Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
Carndonagh, Ireland
“great central hotel”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

spent 3 nights here recently and have to say it is a great hotel..It is so close to everything. beach pubs shops ect..
It has a swimming pool sauna gym and jacauzzi .
rooms a bit dated but clean all the same..
The only complaint i had was that we were the same time as the Ghana commenwealth team so breakfast time was a bit hectic..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tammyroche11
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay with us, I am delighted that you had an enjoyable time.

We were lucky enough to have the Ghana Commonwealth Team staying at the hotel for 3 weeks whilst they were training in the local area. They were indeed very friendly posing for pictures with guests etc but as you can imagine with 100 athletes, breakfast time was very challenging. The staff were of course doing their utmost to try and ensure that this did not impact on our other guests too much.

I do hope that you will be back to stay with us when you are next in Ayr, and we will look forward to looking after you once again.

Lindsay Steele

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Not even at the price would I recommend this hotel. Even as an A-club Accor member.

I booked 2 double rooms (2 couples), but apparently these rooms were not available and I was offered 4 single rooms. These rooms were not fit for habitation, and even the staff commented "we try not to use these rooms".

Thankfully, after I complained (rather loudly), they moved us to a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BillGrantBow
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback, albeit of a negative nature.

I would like to once again apologise for the unfortunate incident regarding your rooms and trust you had an enjoyable stay in Ayr.

Lindsay Steele

Travellers are raving about these Ayr hotels

Cei Connah
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I travel a lot both on business and in my own time, this has to be the worst hotel I've stayed in, not including the staff who were attentive and polite.

The room was extremely dated, the shower controls fell off in my hand when i tried to operate the shower, and the water was cold for 15 minutes whilst I let it run, the decor is awful, the rooms were dirty and the bed was two singles attached in the middle.

I was forced to stay here due to late requirements and the games being on, I will not be bothering again, although Ayr was delightful as i normally stay in Glasgow.

To top it all off it was approximately 26 degrees yesterday and the hotel rooms have no a/c, its 2014 and the room didn't have a/c, i stayed in a small independent hotel in a back street of Siem reap in Cambodia that had a/c, the room was like a microwave.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank OnAPlaneTo
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to hear that you did not have an enjoyable stay. Please accept my apologies.

I understand your issues with the heat, it is not often that we are blessed with such good weather. The air-conditioning is certainly one of the areas that we are hoping Head Office will invest in.

Scotland
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Well,at £90 per night this was,by a country mile,the worst room I have hD in a hotel in 10 years of travelling on business.Booked late and arrived late so had no time to check reviews. I requested a quiet room.Allocated room 375 facing the rear.On entering the room the disgusting sweaty,stale,dirty smell Was overpowering,I will. Never forget it.The room and hotel is in desperate need of an upgrade and redecoration.
The room was 7 feet wide with the double bed having to be located up against the side wall.The TV was hung from a bracket on the wall as there was no room for it anywhere else.
There was no AC and the window had to be kept closed due to the volume and noise from the seagulls.
I left the room to work for a few hours and on returning the smell seemed to be worse.I packed and
checked,left and returned home at 23.30

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel like the plague or you may catch it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FireInspector
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your review, although I am sorry that you decided not to stay with us.

I appreciate your comments on the size of the room for the price your company paid, however this was the room that was booked for you at such a very busy time. This does not excuse any smell you may feel there was.

Had we been given the chance to rectify the situation at the reception desk we could have happily looked at an alternative room for you, however we did not get the chance.

Glasgow
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Hubby and I stayed here last night for 1 night and had a brilliant time visiting Ayr!

Hotel not the nicest as quite dated and room was tiny (665) but had a lovely sea view which we requested. It's very central which is ideal for nightlife eating out and stuff. It was clean which I suppose is the main thing but at £100 for 1 night inc breakfast I expected it to be nicer. For an extra £35 you can stay in the Marriott which is sooo much nicer and special.

Hubby went to breakfast I didn't as had quite a bit to drink the night before so couldn't face it lol. He said it was delicious and it was all you can eat buffet. Drinks in bar not too bad price wise but go next door to Smiths for excellent bar prices. The Ghana team were staying here and were very nice. My hubby had great fun posing for photos with them all lol. The staff in particular Chris are a credit to you. They are extremely efficient and go the extra mile for customer service taking time to chat and recommend places to visit. Appreciated the complimentary wifi also :)

Would I stay here again - If we got a good price then probably because it is clean and very central. I scored 3/5 as I do like to have a bit of luxury when staying in hotels and for the price there just wasn't any. Its been a while we have stayed somewhere that give you a double bed - king size is the usual.

Thanks guys though for your hospitality and for helping make a great stay in Ayr :)

Room Tip: High floor sea view a must
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HappychickGlasgow
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am pleased that, on the whole, you had an enjoyable visit to Ayr.

I am delighted that you have sang the praises of the team, in particular Chris who always goes that extra mile to make your experience as positive as possible. I will be sure to pass your comments on to them.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us again and we will all look forward to being able to welcome you back.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Yes it does need a wee upgrade and wifi is a bit patchy but it is a fantastic hotel with hard working generous staff.
After a wee hiccup at booking that was sorted out magnificently by the lovely lyndsay , we can't thank lyndsay enough for her wonderful, professional actions that restored our faith in the mercure hotel.
Actions do speak louder than words, a tremendous leader.

The food is great the drink is still pricey but lyndsay is trying to get this sorted.

The rooms are spacious and always clean.
Lyndsey our house keeper was always happy to help.
No trip without mentioning chris would be complete.
Mr Mercure chris is everywhere a wonderful worker and so helpful.
Andrew and david and james did impress us with their hard work.
Shann in the gym was a standout.
Nearly forgot dianella at reception bubbly, freindly, kind if only all at the reception desk had her manner.
We love it, so will you.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank John Y
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your feedback following your most recent stay with us.

I am delighted that, once over the initial blip with your booking, you and the family (Dad included) had another enjoyable experience. I will of course pass on your compliments to the team, especially those mentioned within your review.

We hope you had a safe journey home and we will look forward to being able to welcome you all back soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Paid over £100 pounds to stay in what they call a superior room (a joke) room and bathroom in need of a redoing entrance to hotel lovely but in lift ok on exiting lift however full place is in need of a lick of paint staff ok but would not recommend anyone to go here

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth M
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to hear your comments but shall pass these on to the team as we aim to provide a superior service.

Many Thanks