“Business traveller”
Review of Mercure Ayr Hotel

Mercure Ayr Hotel
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Only hotel available during commonwealth games but with over inflated prices, £140 for a compact room it did stick in the throat a little. Stayed for 6 nights overall. I previously stayed at the Western House Hotel for 3 nights at £70 a night and it is by far a superior hotel and restaurant.

I will say that the staff were fine and helpful. The hotel itself is worn and needs some TLC. I had breakfast once and decided to save my £10 for somewhere else. If you get in early then I guess it maybe okay but leave it 1/2hr and the hot breakfast items are cooked to death (eggs are frisbees).

The restaurant during the evenings is nigh on empty but that could be due to their being some nice restaurants in close walking distance.

Would I stay here again? Simple answers no, there are nicer hotels that are cheaper which are fairly close to the Mercure.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MorseMonkey
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay during the Commonwealth Games.

Prices were inflated due to the demand for hotel rooms throughout the West of Scotland in general, some travellers were indeed left without accomodation.

We shall certainly take your comments on board as we continually look to improve our services.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 2 night for work and was very disappointed, I had a double room booked but it was 2 singles pushed together. I had to ask for the beds to be fastened to gether and a kingsize duvet rather than the singles that were on the bed. The beds are uncomfy, towels small, poor tv signal so only half a dozen channels on the tv and as they were busy there wasnt much left on the breakfast buffet.
The resurant was very quiet in the evening with little choice and nothing to write home about.
Friendly and helpfull staff (the remote went missing and the hair dryer was faulty but both were replaced quickly)
Free wifi

Room Tip: Apparently the rooms at the front of the hotel have new beds
1  Thank mayan65

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback folowing your recent stay with us, I am disappointed that your feedback is generally of a negative nature however. Please accept my apologies.

We shall take your comments on board as we look to improve our services and hope that we might be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Due to inflated hotel prices because of Commonwealth Games, we paid a ridiculous £177 for a superior family room for 2 adults & 2 kids in a 3* hotel. And when we arrived, with 2 very tired young kids at 9pm at night after a very long day in Glasgow, we found no single beds in the room, let alone made up. Just the normal double in the room.

Cue a hysterical mother at reception (me!) furious that the housekeeping team couldn't read simple instructions, and neither was there any quality control to spot errors. After being made to feel like a naughty child myself at reception by a very arrogant & haughty receptionist, it then took another 30mins before we got the beds made up. To add to the frustration, the 4 pillows on the double were then shared out amongst all the beds (didn't notice until after she had left the room & didn't have the energy to ask for more!) Of course the kids were then even more tired/giddy & their parents more annoyed! Took ages to calm them to get them to sleep. The sofa/camp beds by the way must have been the most uncomfortable I had ever seen & my soon seriously considered just sleeping on the floor!

I just can't abide bad service, but especially when you've paid a premium price! There's no excuse for a hotel not managing such a simple task.
Breakfast was rather mundane too.
If you're going to charge premium prices at high peak times, up your game Mercure!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Original-Lass
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your stay was not the relaxing experience that it should have been. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Please be assured that the issues that you faced have been addressed and the necessary action taken to ensure that there is no future occurence.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

spent 3 nights here recently and have to say it is a great hotel..It is so close to everything. beach pubs shops ect..
It has a swimming pool sauna gym and jacauzzi .
rooms a bit dated but clean all the same..
The only complaint i had was that we were the same time as the Ghana commenwealth team so breakfast time was a bit hectic..

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tammyroche11
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay with us, I am delighted that you had an enjoyable time.

We were lucky enough to have the Ghana Commonwealth Team staying at the hotel for 3 weeks whilst they were training in the local area. They were indeed very friendly posing for pictures with guests etc but as you can imagine with 100 athletes, breakfast time was very challenging. The staff were of course doing their utmost to try and ensure that this did not impact on our other guests too much.

I do hope that you will be back to stay with us when you are next in Ayr, and we will look forward to looking after you once again.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Not even at the price would I recommend this hotel. Even as an A-club Accor member.

I booked 2 double rooms (2 couples), but apparently these rooms were not available and I was offered 4 single rooms. These rooms were not fit for habitation, and even the staff commented "we try not to use these rooms".

Thankfully, after I complained (rather loudly), they moved us to a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BillGrantBow

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback, albeit of a negative nature.

I would like to once again apologise for the unfortunate incident regarding your rooms and trust you had an enjoyable stay in Ayr.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I travel a lot both on business and in my own time, this has to be the worst hotel I've stayed in, not including the staff who were attentive and polite.

The room was extremely dated, the shower controls fell off in my hand when i tried to operate the shower, and the water was cold for 15 minutes whilst I let it run, the decor is awful, the rooms were dirty and the bed was two singles attached in the middle.

I was forced to stay here due to late requirements and the games being on, I will not be bothering again, although Ayr was delightful as i normally stay in Glasgow.

To top it all off it was approximately 26 degrees yesterday and the hotel rooms have no a/c, its 2014 and the room didn't have a/c, i stayed in a small independent hotel in a back street of Siem reap in Cambodia that had a/c, the room was like a microwave.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels.
1  Thank OnAPlaneTo
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to hear that you did not have an enjoyable stay. Please accept my apologies.

I understand your issues with the heat, it is not often that we are blessed with such good weather. The air-conditioning is certainly one of the areas that we are hoping Head Office will invest in.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Well,at £90 per night this was,by a country mile,the worst room I have hD in a hotel in 10 years of travelling on business.Booked late and arrived late so had no time to check reviews. I requested a quiet room.Allocated room 375 facing the rear.On entering the room the disgusting sweaty,stale,dirty smell Was overpowering,I will. Never forget it.The room and hotel is in desperate need of an upgrade and redecoration.
The room was 7 feet wide with the double bed having to be located up against the side wall.The TV was hung from a bracket on the wall as there was no room for it anywhere else.
There was no AC and the window had to be kept closed due to the volume and noise from the seagulls.
I left the room to work for a few hours and on returning the smell seemed to be worse.I packed and
checked,left and returned home at 23.30

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel like the plague or you may catch it.
1  Thank FireInspector

Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your review, although I am sorry that you decided not to stay with us.

I appreciate your comments on the size of the room for the price your company paid, however this was the room that was booked for you at such a very busy time. This does not excuse any smell you may feel there was.

Had we been given the chance to rectify the situation at the reception desk we could have happily looked at an alternative room for you, however we did not get the chance.