“NOT CHANGED IN 20 YEARS”
Review of Mercure Ayr Hotel

Mercure Ayr Hotel
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Mercure Hotel, arriving Friday 13th June for 3 nights.
My wife and I used to work at this hotel for a number of years over 18 years ago and thought it would be nice to go down memory lane and stay as a guest all these years later.

On arrival we were surprised that to park in the hotel car park you had to pay for each night even though your were a paying guest.

The decor and carpets were very worn in some places, 18 years on were still the same with some minor visible repairs here and there, notably the curve stairs up to the first floor brass rails were grubby and at the top on the right rail was stuck together with tape after it had at some point been broken.
Outside the hotel entrance had hanging plastic plant holder with plastic plants in them which just made the overall appearance very shabby.

The conference rooms were dirty with tables and chairs all over the place and even had the message boards when this hotel was owned by Jarvis outside them

The room we had on the 5th floor was very tired with net curtains that had seen better days, linen was clean but the room overall was a big let down.

The leisure club was extremely tired verging on dirty, when we visited a staff member was sitting on a leather couch eating lunch and when he asked if he could help us we replied were only having a look then quickly sat down and continued with his lunch.
Staff behind the bar were polite and courteously dealt with us but again the whole area had not moved on in nearly 20 years.

We had been told that it would be best to book an appointment for lunch on Sunday thinking they were busy, we booked a table for 1pm for 4 adults.
When we arrived around 12:30 we waited for nearly 10 minutes then had to go to the reception asking if someone could serve us at the bar.
Eventually served we then went into the restaurant to find we were the only ones booked for the whole duration.
The service we received made us all feel we were inconveniencing them by being in the restaurant with the female member of staff leaving at 3pm without a hello or goodbye.

Breakfast was self service and all the food was okay along with the breakfast staff who made us feel welcome.

My wife did complain on departing about the overall decor and how rundown the whole hotel is to be told that they are waiting on being refurbished at some point but it is up to head office.
The manager was in the background during this conversation and never even stood forward to acknowledge our concerns.

Overall we were very disappointed withe how grubby the hotel was and that after nearly 20 years barely nothing had changed.

Would we go back - NO - Would we stay in another Mercure hotel very doubtful

Room Tip: Rooms on the 5th and 6th floor west facing offer the best views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay with us 20 years after being an employee here. I am sorry that your trip down memory lane was a disappointing one.

Although there are many points regarding the need for modernisation and refurbishment, I would like to say that the leisure club is always kept to a high standard of cleanliness. This really is a must in this area as I am sure you can appreciate.

We are as you say, hopeful that we are allowed to spend some money to update the public areas and that this is done sooner rather than later.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The staff when we arrived were very friendly and helpful allowing us to leave our luggage and helping us with parking. The hotel is a bit dated and I can't comment on the services as we didn't use any of them. The night porter was helpful checking us in at midnight however when we got to our room someone else had been checked into our room! An honest mistake I believe which the staff apologised numerous times for. The location is great for the train station which was ideal for us as we were heading to Glasgow for the games. Car Parking great too

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am incredibly sorry about the mix-up with your room. It is not often that two people check-in with more-or-less identical names.

I am glad that your stay was enjoyable and we will hope to be able to welcome you back on future visits to Ayr.

KInd Regards

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed in hotel this for 5 nights for work. It is very dated, and isn’t well maintained.

On the plus side, The bath and beddings are clean and fresh, and the room was a really good size with a sea view. Quite airy really. The location is great.

However, little attention is paid to detailed dusting of the room. The mugs and coffee area (including kettle) were dusty. The elevators were also dusty.

Some of staff were lovely and tired their best to resolve issues promptly.

Room Tip: Sea view room on a upper floors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Olu18

Dear Guest

Thank for your feedback following your stay with us, I am sorry that there were silly little issues that could so easily have been avoided.

The housekeeping team have already been investigated following your comments so that we can avoid future occurence.

We hope that on your next visit you will enjoy a relaxing stay.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed in Ayr for a break with my wife and to visit family. From our initial contact at reception to the very last goodbye I could not fault this hotel. Room was great and suited our very needs, amenities and leisure facilities were great. Breakfast was amazing each morning. The staff were so friendly and really made our stay what it was, Christine on reception and Neil on the bar always made us feel welcome and nothing was ever to much trouble. We will be back to here for definite.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable experience and it is nice to hear that all our hard work does not go un-noticed.

I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team, especially Christine and Neil and we all hope we will be able to welcome you and the fam,ily again very soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Only hotel available during commonwealth games but with over inflated prices, £140 for a compact room it did stick in the throat a little. Stayed for 6 nights overall. I previously stayed at the Western House Hotel for 3 nights at £70 a night and it is by far a superior hotel and restaurant.

I will say that the staff were fine and helpful. The hotel itself is worn and needs some TLC. I had breakfast once and decided to save my £10 for somewhere else. If you get in early then I guess it maybe okay but leave it 1/2hr and the hot breakfast items are cooked to death (eggs are frisbees).

The restaurant during the evenings is nigh on empty but that could be due to their being some nice restaurants in close walking distance.

Would I stay here again? Simple answers no, there are nicer hotels that are cheaper which are fairly close to the Mercure.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MorseMonkey

Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay during the Commonwealth Games.

Prices were inflated due to the demand for hotel rooms throughout the West of Scotland in general, some travellers were indeed left without accomodation.

We shall certainly take your comments on board as we continually look to improve our services.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 2 night for work and was very disappointed, I had a double room booked but it was 2 singles pushed together. I had to ask for the beds to be fastened to gether and a kingsize duvet rather than the singles that were on the bed. The beds are uncomfy, towels small, poor tv signal so only half a dozen channels on the tv and as they were busy there wasnt much left on the breakfast buffet.
The resurant was very quiet in the evening with little choice and nothing to write home about.
Friendly and helpfull staff (the remote went missing and the hair dryer was faulty but both were replaced quickly)
Free wifi

Room Tip: Apparently the rooms at the front of the hotel have new beds
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mayan65

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback folowing your recent stay with us, I am disappointed that your feedback is generally of a negative nature however. Please accept my apologies.

We shall take your comments on board as we look to improve our services and hope that we might be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Due to inflated hotel prices because of Commonwealth Games, we paid a ridiculous £177 for a superior family room for 2 adults & 2 kids in a 3* hotel. And when we arrived, with 2 very tired young kids at 9pm at night after a very long day in Glasgow, we found no single beds in the room, let alone made up. Just the normal double in the room.

Cue a hysterical mother at reception (me!) furious that the housekeeping team couldn't read simple instructions, and neither was there any quality control to spot errors. After being made to feel like a naughty child myself at reception by a very arrogant & haughty receptionist, it then took another 30mins before we got the beds made up. To add to the frustration, the 4 pillows on the double were then shared out amongst all the beds (didn't notice until after she had left the room & didn't have the energy to ask for more!) Of course the kids were then even more tired/giddy & their parents more annoyed! Took ages to calm them to get them to sleep. The sofa/camp beds by the way must have been the most uncomfortable I had ever seen & my soon seriously considered just sleeping on the floor!

I just can't abide bad service, but especially when you've paid a premium price! There's no excuse for a hotel not managing such a simple task.
Breakfast was rather mundane too.
If you're going to charge premium prices at high peak times, up your game Mercure!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Original-Lass
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your stay was not the relaxing experience that it should have been. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Please be assured that the issues that you faced have been addressed and the necessary action taken to ensure that there is no future occurence.

Lindsay Steele

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayr
Western House Hotel
2 mi away
Travelodge Ayr
Travelodge Ayr
#9 of 17 in Ayr

Been to Mercure Ayr Hotel? Share your experiences!