“Glad we got put up here!”

Fairfield House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
Ontario
“Glad we got put up here!”
Reviewed 24 March 2011

The staff is excellent and very accommodating to our unique requests over the past few days. The room is nice, but since this is my first visit to the UK, I can only compare to North American standards and in that regard, it's a bit...different, but my co-workers have said this is the UK way, and in every regard, this place is at or above local standard.

Beautiful hotel, great location that let us walk to everything essential around town, and the restaurant puts out a nice spread. I checked out a few other comments and the experiences seem to vary depending which room you end up with. I had an excellent room, but it would have been nice to have a proper window that could open. Others in the group had nicer rooms but the internet didn't reach their area or they had trouble with their TVs.

Management was always attentive to concerns and worked to correct problems when able. I can't say enough about the staff here; we aren't normally treated to exceptional service in North America outside expensive luxury hotels. I also appreciate that you loan out power adapters, we all forgot ours!

Things that can be improved: Modern LCD TV's in each room. Ensure internet coverage across the entire property. A colleague mentioned the fitness centre could use some attention.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
RobertDCrews, General Manager at Fairfield House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2011
Dear JForbes,

Thank you kindly for your comments , they are much appreciated.
I will pass your comments on to the team here.
We are continiously improving our hotel in terms of product, added value and service delivery and your comments will help us do that.
We are aware our Leisure club needs some TLC and we currently have a team costing a refurbishment of the Club and would hope this would be done within the next 8 weeks.
We are working to upgraded all our TVs to digital LCD in again should have every room done soon.
Also the wireless issue I have been made aware of earlier today in our outside rooms , and have now installed mini wireless boosters.
Again thanks for your feedback , and from your review it sounds like you may still be in the hotel, so if you require anything please do not hesitate to contact myself or one of the team.

Regards
Robert Crews

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Having used the hotel once prior for a conference and being very impressed I decided to return with my wife for a relaxing weekend. We both had a thoroughly enjoyable stay from start to finish. Room was immaculate with huge bathroom,service excellent and staff very friendly, food fantastic. Will be making this a regular getaway! One comment though the leisure club could do with a lick of paint in some areas. All in all fantastic stay, keep up the great work Fairfield!!!

• Stayed March 2011
RobertDCrews, General Manager at Fairfield House Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2011
Dear Guest ,

Thank you for your kind comments which I will relay to and give a boost to our team here.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay here and hope to welcome you back soon.
I am aware the leisure club requires some attention and please be assured we are currently
in the process of costing and producing a timeline to have a refurbishment done.
Hopefully when you return you will see a major difference.
Again thanks and regards
Shoreham by Sea
Reviewed 17 March 2011

This hotel nearly drove me mad. I was given the Churchill Room. This was a lovely room, large and well furnished. A big bathroom complimented matters. And then came the problem - trying to sleep. Unfortunately my room, along with many others, backed on to an area that had fans, extractors etc coming off of the kitchen/store room etc. At night, every few minutes, a motor would clunk into action, drone on for a minute or so, then stop. And this was repeated ALL NIGHT. I spoke to the night porter and was ready to move to another room, but that involved having to go to an outside area, and I was frankly too tired to bother.
So in the morning I went to my business meeting then had to drive 10 hours to get home to the south coast. All in all I was not happy.
The hotel needs to fix this problem urgently as the rooms that back on to this area are not fit for purpose.
I managed to get half my money back off the room. I would have insisted on the whole amount but the manager wasn't there that day, and the receptionist couldn't authorise any more money off than that. Also, because I had a busy day ahead of me and a long drive I didn't want to expend too much energy doing this.
On a positive note I thought the food and service in the restaurant to be very good.
MY ADVICE: If you do book here INSIST you get a room that does NOT back onto this area. And if the only rooms available are in this area (my room, 12 and 18 are problems) then GO ELSEWHERE.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Teamtango
RobertDCrews, General Manager at Fairfield House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2011
Dear Teamtag,

I am most concerned to receive your comments regarding your stay here at the Fairfield Hotel.
At the outset please accept my apologies for the roof fan keeping you awake and I will certainly tackle this for future guests, however
Did we deserve a score of 1 point and a headline of "Worse Night Ever" especially when your liked the room , the size the furnishings , you liked the food and you liked the service. We did offer to try and resolve the matter and also we discounted you 50%
I dont think we deserved that.
Yours sincerely

east kilbride
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Arrived at hotel on Saturday booked on line special rate DBB room was stunning large and beautifully furnished for a standard double room,downside very noisy which resulted in a poor nights sleep due to constant drone from extraction fans outside the window. Regarding dinner I realize we were on a package but would have liked to have seen a little more smoked salmon on the plate not the 5g of brown trimmings bulked up with cherry tomato slices, venison was tasty though on the well done side I opted for the hazelnut parfait direct from freezer (very hard) changed for cheese which looked like the odds and ends from the bottom of the fridge. Breakfast was good as were the attentive friendly staff.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank foodieeastkilbride
RobertDCrews, General Manager at Fairfield House Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2011
Dear Foodieeastkilbride,

Thankyou for your constructive comments regarding your stay here at the Fairfield Hotel.
I am glad you liked the room size and furnishing however I apologise for the drone you heard outside your window and I will investigate further to hopefully negate this noise.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your meal with us , you were, on a dinner package however the only restriction we set on our full menu is a supplement for the Sirloin and Fillet steaks.
We do normally receive praise for our food and I have passed your comments to our head chef in order he can take measures and prevent a recurrence.

Thank for your kind comments on Breakfast which I have relayed.

Again thanks for your comments and if you return to us in the future I would be happy to offer a privilage rate and a more relaxing stay

Yours Sincerely

Borders, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2011

For my wifes birthday we decided to get away for the weekend with our 5 month old son, it was the first time we had been away since he was born and were looking to play it safe by booking a hotel with additional facilities.

Having looked at trip advisor, we saw that the Fairfield had a pool, leisure facilities and a well thought of restaurant - so we booked.

We weren't disappointed. The staff were lovely and, they had automatically given us a bigger room so that we had plenty of space for the travel cot and to spread out! Our room was very nice, well decorated, clean and well appointed with toiletries - we really couldn't fault it.

Shortly after arrival we used the pool, steam room and sauna - use of which was included in the room price. I must say they were all in good repair and again clean and tidy. The pool was quite big and warm enough for our little boy too...he loved it. The only comment I could make (and its only minor) is that the changing facilities could so with a lick of paint. Again staff were efficient and polite and we couldn't have asked for better.

We ate in the hotel restaurant while our little one slept in his pram and we were well tended all night. Our meal was very good indeed and clearly freshly prepared and well turned out, worth the money indeed. Even the sweet which we shared had been freshly made - not out of a big packet like most establishments.

In summary, we both agreed that on the basis this visit we would return - possibly with friends and have no hesitation in recommending to others. Well done Fairfield House!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JockTheCritic
RobertDCrews, General Manager at Fairfield House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
Dear JW,

Thanks for you kind review , I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back to the Fairfield Hotel soon. We are planning shortly to decorate the leisure facilities and this should take place in April. Again thankyou and best regards
Saltcoats, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Well, so ends our fourth Christmas and New Year break at the Fairfield House Hotel in Ayr.
This is a privately owned hotel with an excellent management team [Robert, Eddie and Craig] who are uncompromising in delivering the high standards set by the owners who reside in a neighbouring property and regularly dine at the hotel themselves.
Over the last four years my wife and I have remained impressed by the standards of service, accommodation and dining at this hotel; in particular the staff here are an oustandingly friendly, efficient and attentive group of people who have made our stays so enjoyable.
Bad points? None as far as we are concerned, we have stayed at a number of four and five star hotels throughout Scotland in recent years and would put the Fairfield House right up there with the best of them!
Our thanks to Mr and Mrs Martin and the whole team for yet another most enjoyable stay.

Barry and Beth Green, Saltcoats

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barryg20
RobertDCrews, General Manager at Fairfield House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2011
Dear Barryg20,

Thankyou for you kind and motivating comments regarding your stay and service here at the Fairfield House Hotel. It is always pleasing to receive such comments.
I will pass this on to the team and our owners.
I look forward to personally welcoming you both back to the Fairfield and please do not hesitate to contact me direct when booking.

Kind regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2010

I attended a meeting and overnight stay at the hotel , warmly welcomed by
staff on arrival , room was excellent and modern and the food was fantastic.
Such a warm and welcoming Hotel would certainly recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2010
RobertDCrews, General Manager at Fairfield House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2010
Dear Guest ,

Thankyou for taking the time to post your kind and possitive comments regarding your stay here at the Fairfield House Hotel.
I will certainly pass these on to the teams here and I hope to welcome you back soon.
Please have a great Christmas and prosperous New Year
Regards
Robert Crews
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayr
Western House Hotel
The Marine Hotel
The Marine Hotel
#5 of 6 in Troon
Enterkine House Hotel

Been to Fairfield House Hotel? Share your experiences!