“Wee Winter Break”
Review of Horizon Hotel

Horizon Hotel
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Our daughter had booked this hotel break for us through Glasgow Deals. It was supposed to be for Christmas but due to getting some bad news, she decided to give it to us early.
We knew of the hotel as we occasionally drive down to Ayr for a wee day out but had never been inside.
We also had noticed a couple of years ago that it had undergone a facelift and looked really nice when we passed by
Although some work still has to be done especially the paintwork on the first floor where our room was, it still was very nice.
We had a front facing room looking onto the sea which was a nice bonus.
The staff were lovely, starting with the girl who took my booking on the phone, very friendly and cheerful.
The food was excellent too and the restaurant had a lovely ambience.
This is a family run hotel and it is worth a visit.
A wee footnote, when we arrived home, my wife realised that she had left two expensive rings in the room. I phoned the hotel and was told they had been found by a member of staff and were in the safe, awaiting instructions from us.
As I said, excellent place to stay and very honest staff

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed 16 December 2012

My brother and wife sister and husband 95year old uncle and my husband and I have for the past four years had a pre Christmas meal at the Horizon Hotel We were there yesterday and what a disappointing meal we were served I had the salmon this was served with skin facing up and it was burned blob of parsley butter on top 2 small baby potatoes these werre edible roast potatoes were not small portion of overdone roasted vegtables my uncle also had salmon which he ate after burnt skin removed but he did not enjoy three had meat 2 had turkey stuffing burnt round the edges and once again roast potatoes were left sweets were ok we had to ask for our coffee and mincemeat pies as bill was produced prior to these being served waitress well will not go there but we did not leave a tip!! Her attitude put a damper on our meal.
Very disappointed we also use this venue for high teas but we will not be returning

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lorny29
Craig M, General Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

I am disappointed to read your review as a regular guest we value your custom and views. Our staff are very diligent in handling complaints and we have a feedback form with all the details of this incident. On service of the meal a short time was allowed and the waitress came to the table to ask if everything was ok , this is called Checkback. At this point NO ONE complained. The first time the customer complained was when the staff cleared the plates upon which there was only the skin of the Salmon and the roast potatoes left, everything else had been eaten. The waitress did reply that if the customer had told her she would happily have replaced the meal with a new one of the Lady’s choice, to which the customer said she didn’t want anything else. The staff member then bought the bill, thinking the customer meant she did not want T/C mince pies. As soon as the customer asked for T/C it was bought out, a case of crossed wires perhaps.
Considering this waitress was Kirsty and if you are a regular reader of our Facebook site and Trip Advisor you will see she is one of our best liked and most commented on staff, the management feel that saying she had a bad attitude is most unusual nae unheard of and quite unkind! Regarding the Salmon, we do serve it skin up and the skin is supposed to be crispy and blackened at the edges. If this is not to the customers taste, we are all different after all, we will re cook to their liking or offer another dish, BUT it is necessary for the customer to speak to us at Checkback. On the day in question we served over 200 meals and this was the only complaint!

Reviewed 4 December 2012 via mobile

I went on an offer for 2 nights including dinner on the first night and breakfast both mornings. We were in room 36 which is an small attic room which caused a few bruises. The family rooms are all located in the attic!!!
The mattress were solid but the room was very clean. A bit dated with no bath just a shower with a shower curtain in a corner. I was not happy with the food which was very disappointing as we had to go in search of a restaurant the following night and would have preferred staying in the hotel.
There was only 1 guy serving and he delivered cold plates with cold food. Waited ages for it so just eat what I could. My daughter took the fruit with mint yogurt which was slapped on the top of it. The mint was too strong for her but the whole dish was covered in mint. The pork I had to send back as again it was frozen and raw in the middle. All plates was cold too. I got the dish returned still frozen dish frozen veg and potatoes but thankfully the pork was cooked. The burgers were tasteless and crumbled when you cut into it. It was on ciabatta bread which again was frozen solid and tough to eat. My daughter got the kids version and her burger came with the same bread which she had to leave. The desserts were alright. During our meal i was not the only customer who complained and sent their food back. Breakfast both mornings took forever to arrive. No mater what we asked for it was just ignored and the full breakfast arrived. Food was not great quality and the potato scone was soaked in grease. The toast was self service but came out too brown for me but you were not allowed to touch the dial. The porridge was undercooked the first day and it was like soup the second day. Overall very unhappy and on checkout I aired my feelings and the guys replies..... oh! Sorry to hear that..... oh! And here's your bill. This hotel could be fantastic if the food was of a higher standard. It is close to the centre of Ayr and right on the beach but the bar and restaurant was empty. I would not go back and if I had paid full price I would have been even more upset.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank seagull021
Craig M, General Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

The Horizon Hotel has a policy of not commenting on reviews, however after reading your review we have decided to make an exception.
I am very disappointed to hear of the poor quality of meal that you had and unfortunately yours is not the only complaint that we have had regarding the food that week.
The hotel has now taken some very serious steps to rectify the situation.
The Horizon Hotel and our staff pride ourselves on giving our customer the best quality of food and service, and as far as I and the management team are concerned nothing less will do. We feel the steps we took resolved the problem as we have received very favourable feedback since, please see our facebook page.
Regarding the rest of your review all our beds are the best hotel contract bed's on the market, the fact is, some guests like a firm mattress and some a softer mattress. All our family rooms are not located in the attic and should you decide to visit the hotel again the management will upgrade you to our best family sea view room.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

I went to this hotel with my family for 2 nights, the rooms were of a high standard and the hotel was very modern. All the staff were helpful and chatty too. The food is to die for and great value for money. Within walking distance to the town centre with great shops. The weather was mild and we even managed to go down to the beach. Would go back again

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights with my husband, we were attending a friends wedding.
the bedrooms are very basic.
the bedding was stained, carpet was all lifted by the bathroom door.
the door frame and skirting board by the bin was full of tea marks.
the shower in the bathroom was just useless... water was cold then red hot (not safe)
The heated towel rail was not working.

Stayed in room 12.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank scouser05
Reviewed 5 October 2012

My wife and I, have just spent 4 nights the the hotel,and its all good ,Location ,Food and Staff ,the views out to the Isle of Arran are spectacular ,the hotel is in a quiet location and is a 5 min walk into town ,the breakfast,s set you up for the day ,and the staff were friendly and nothing was to much trouble,we stayed in room 18 with sea views (ask for it when booking) ,the room has all you need plus great view,would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a sea view room if you book direct with the hotel the views are spectacular.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andlyn50
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Have stayed here three times, the hotel is on the esplanade, on good days you can see the isle of arran.
Staff all local, helpful, friendly. You'll always find thank you cards from previous guests all over the reception.
Food is great!
Rooms lovely, don'y stay in attic rooms though, cielings very low. Simply ask when booking for no attic rooms.
Bar is nice, quiet, service good, prices about usual for hotels.
Short walk into Ayr, lot's to do and see.
Would love to spend New year there sometime.
Recommended!

Room Tip: One facing the sea!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple