“Western Hotel is beautiful but same cant be said for annexe”

Western House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Western Hotel is beautiful but same cant be said for annexe”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband booked an overnight for our anniversary and the main hotel is really lovely and decorated to a very high standand. The gardens were also beautiful and its a gorgeous venue for a wedding without being over formal. The evening menu was really extensive and the food was great although my well done sirloin was quite charred whilst my husband's well done fillet was perfect. Although the cooked breakfast was great, the contintental selection was limited to cereal, natural yoghurt, some fruit and a pastry but no jams, breads, croissants to choose from yourself. The service at dinner was excellent and all the staff really friendly, however at breakfast we had to seek someone to take our main order after finishing our tea and toast around 15 minutes earlier. When our breakfast did arrive, no-one offered more toast or drinks despite forgetting to take our order earlier.

I love country house hotels as they have a grandeur without being stuffy whilst still retaining a sense of history. However, as we were unable to get a room in the main building, we booked a courtyard room. Unfortunately, it felt as if we were staying in a completely different hotel. Although there were all the essentials and a few nice touches, the courtyard building and rooms felt bland and unwelcoming and were at complete odds with the main hotel.

I appreciate that in order to increase revenue, many country hotels have extensions or annexes but creating something that isnt sympathetic to the main building or rooms that are not finished anywhere near the same standard, is my pet hate. It feels like you have been duped in some way. I dont like modern hotels as a rule although when staying in a city, you know what to expect.

I would point out in fairness however that the main hotel is warm and welcoming with comfy seating and open fires so if I had been staying here, I'm sure my review would have been completely different. Its such a shame as it did have so many other things going for it.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel and not the courtyard if you prefer the country house feel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
WesternHouse014, General Manager at Western House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write your review and your kind comments about the main house and evening meal, please accept my apologies for the less than satisfactory breakfast service this is well below our normal standards.

As for the Courtyard rooms I am sorry you felt they were a let down and I can only apologise you felt it let your stay down. The Courtyard rooms are modern and decorated to the highest of standards gaining a four Gold star recognition but we try to clearly advertise how they look on our website to try to avoid any disappointment.

I again apologise that this has been the case on this occasion and to hope that you return and stay in our Five star standard main house rooms.

kind regards

Malcolm Balish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Aberford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Plenty of parking, immaculate grounds, lovely staff and our terrace suite (Room 110) was probably the best room in the hotel; other than the Bridal Suite of course.

Room was extremely spacious, had a seating area, dressing room, separate WC to bathroom and magnificent views from every single window.

Wedding food was hot and tasty, although whilst the tea and coffee were being served we were also being promptly ushered out of the function room in readiness for the evening guests to arrive - dinner wine in one hand and clutch bag or a camera in the other ultimately meant hot tea & coffee abandoned on every table :(

2 bars available throughout the wedding, so no queueing :) Quiet seating area whilst the partying and dancing took place in the function room and music stopped bang on midnight.....but the bar stayed open until about 3:30am :)

Overall happy guests and would visit again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
WesternHouse014, General Manager at Western House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments.

I am glad you found your room to your liking and 110 is a lovely room, as with the rest of the rooms in the main house which are decorated and furnished to the same standards !
We hope you come and stay with us again soon

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We attended a wedding at Western House and from the welcome prosecco and canapés to the evening buffet all was perfect. Western House is a beautiful country house hotel and they certainly knows how to look after their guests. The gardens are beautiful for photographs but also extensive enough to stroll around with a glass of fizz, enjoying the string group without intruding on the formal photograph taking. The meal was superb, piping hot, beautifully presented and tasty - not an easy task for such a large group. Our waitress Alison was excellent, attentive yet unobtrusive.
The highlight of the evening buffet was the legendary Killie pies - spread the word they're superb. Overall a perfect day not only for the bride and groom but for these wedding guests as well!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us here at Western House Hotel, I have passed on your kind comments to Alison.
I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again in the near future.

kind regards

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed recently for 2 nights to attend a wedding the hotel were also hosting. From the minute we checked in to the minute we left we were looked after fully and left very happy! Julia was on reception when we arrived and made our first impression of the hotel very good which only got better during our stay.

We dined in The Jockey restaurant on our first night in the hotel, we chose to have a drink in the bar first though where Grant made us feel very welcome and looked after. The food was amazing, great value for money and presented beautifully. Our waiter William was very attentive and made our dining experience 5* and more.

All the staff made the wedding for us as guests a very enjoyable experience and the hotel certainly seems like a beautiful venue for a wedding and I would highly recommend people to consider it as a venue!

The hotel is very fairly priced considering all the little things they include and do for guests during their stay and I will certainly be returning and recommending to all my friends and family!

Once again thank you to all staff for making our short stay very relaxing, enjoyable and a good break from everyday life.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
WesternHouse014, General Manager at Western House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind review it is always heartening to read that our staff are leading the way with hospitality and giving such a good impression of the hotel. I have passed on your comments to the staff and thank you again for your review.
We look forward to your return visit!
Please vote for us on the VOWS awards website!

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Brilliant hotel, nothing is to much trouble, check in was easy and the rooms were fantastic. Stayed in the main hotel rooms, which are of an excellent size and very well equipped. Our room had everything we needed and more. Would have no trouble recommending a stay here.. especially if combined with a day at the races as ours was.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review regarding your stay here at Western House Hotel. I am glad you found everything to your satisfaction and we look forward to your return visit

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Rarely have I gone to a hotel and had nothing to complain about. The cleanliness was fantastic, the range of services available amazing and the staff are attentive and kind.

From checking in to leaving, no request was too much. We dinned within the hotel also and the food was next to none.

I would just like to thank, William, Grant and Julia for going that extra mile and making our stay fantastic.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gavin B
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review western House Hotel. I am glad you found everything to your liking and found the staff to be exceptional. Thank you again and i have passed on your thanks to the team.

Warwickshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

What can we say about the Western House Hotel that hasn't already been said? There was absolutely nothing about this hotel that we didn't like. From arrival to departure every member of staff we came across gave good old fashioned, courteous service. Have to admit that we thought maybe we would be treated like 'second class' guests as we were staying in the courtyard rooms (separate from the main hotel) but how wrong we were. The rooms were exceptional....and I really mean EXCEPTIONAL! The bed was massive and my husband joked that he would text me when the alarm went off in the morning incase I didn't hear it from my side of the bed. Food was brilliant. We had dinner in the restaurant and I can't tell you just how much we enjoyed it. There was quite a bit of mmmmming coming from our table! If I had one complaint to make it would be that the porridge was too thick for me but then I am a 'sassenach' and thick porridge is wasted on me lol!

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and by the looks of it are maintained daily as there were a lot of ground/maintenance staff about working discreetly. Our room overlooked the car park but can honestly say we were not disturbed by any noise or traffic.

We will be re-visiting the Western House Hotel in the future and may even treat ourselves to a room in the main hotel. Thank you to everyone for making our stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: No tip needed as I'm sure all rooms are of equal high standard
1 Thank HolidayLover0856
WesternHouse014, General Manager at Western House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you indeed for such a exceptional review, it is a review that as a team we strive to achieve and I have printed it off for our staff to read.
We believe very strongly in "old time values" guest service is our priority and we are very fortunate to have such a good welcoming staff that enjoy working here and are proud of what we have.
Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay!

Malcolm Balish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayr
Savoy Park Hotel
#8 of 17 in Ayr
Horizon Hotel
Horizon Hotel
#7 of 17 in Ayr

Been to Western House Hotel? Share your experiences!