“Comfortable, very clean, great staff and amazing food!”

Western House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Ayr
Kendal, Cumbria
“Comfortable, very clean, great staff and amazing food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I will get the grumble out of the way first...my satnav put me on the wrong street using the hotel postcode!

The hotel is superb, I travel a lot and this is very much in the higher ranks of quality and value. The hotel was booked with a bed & breakfast package and I was expecting the room and the food to be a bit "budget"...this was very much not the case.

The room (in the courtyard) was huge and very well furnished, everything about it was clean, well presented and very comfortable.

The food is in a league of its own, this place really works hard to provide top quality food and it does it well, the portions are just right and the service is spot-on without being in your face, this has to be one of the few places in the UK that actually understands and delivers a Bleu steak. The menu is interesting without being "up itself" and the food is well presented. Breakfast is an event in itself, I had the Full Scottish one morning and the quantity and quality rendered me useless for several hours....superb, but massive. Other mornings I had poached haddock for breakfast and my request posed no problems and a beautifully cooked piece of fish was delivered...its making me hungry just thinking of it.

In summary, a great hotel with super staff, discrete yet very helpful. The food is worth the trip alone...I will return!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank pleione73
WesternHouse014, General Manager at Western House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review and apologies for the wrong post code for the Sat Nav.

What a fantastic review for our kitchen Brigade I have passed on your comments to the Kitchen and front of house staff as it is always very rewarding to read that their efforts have been rewarded.

Thank you again and we look forward to your return visit!

Malcolm Balish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Campbeltown, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Was booked into the Western House Hotel at the very last minute due to work and was not left disappointed. Staff couldnt have been more pleasant and helpful. The room which was within one of the annexes was clean and comfortable and the shower was powerful enough that you could use to clean paths with. The restaurant was fully booked that evening so I ate from the restaurants menu in the lounge. The food was brilliant and you didnt have to wait an age to be served even though they were busy. I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest
Thank you for your very kind review.
It is always very nice to read reviews about our staff and service. My apologies for you not being able to get into the restaurant, but i am glad we ensured your needs were met in the lounge .

I hope we have the pleasure of you staying again in the near future.

preston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We got off to a bad start because although I had email and text confirmation stating a booking reference number the receptionist could not find our booking! We were quite alarmed as we had travelled over four hours that day to get there. However we were given a free upgrade to a beautiful room in the main hotel. The room was spacious, immaculately clean, beautifully furnished and with gorgeous views over the beautiful grounds and the racecourse. Bed was so comfy. Despite there being a special event in the main hotel we didn't hear any noise and had a good nights sleep. Breakfasts were lovely and the dinners were out of this world. Staff friendly and helpful. Our first stay here and will definitely be back here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
WesternHouse014, General Manager at Western House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review . I apologise we could not find your booking but however made up for this with your upgrade to the main house.
I am glad you found the standards of the hotel to your liking and the food and service too.

We look forward to your return visit

Greenock, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Firstly I have to say the staff at reception were just lovely and welcoming, as frequent travelers, we find this, unfortunately, to be a rarity these days and gave us high hopes for our stay. We had booked our room through laterooms.com and had selected the "Four Star Courtyard Room" mainly because it stated the room had a jacuzzi bath, wet room, minibar and bottled water. On arriving at the room we were so disappointed to find none of the a fore-mentioned facilities. There was a small bath, with a shower overhead, the bathroom was tiled, but not a wet room, there was no mini bar and no bottled water. The room itself was nice and very clean and modernly decorated. We then decided to have some room service, and again the staff were lovely and helpful, I had asked for a bucket of ice for the room,, this wasn't sent with the food

Room Tip: get a room within the main hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Veronica G
WesternHouse014, General Manager at Western House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and i am sorry you were disappointed in your stay.

I am sorry to say we do not have a Jacuzzi here at the hotel however we do have a wet room but not in every room and we do not have mini bars in every room but only in the main house , but would have been delighted to put a mini bar in your room on request.

I have looked at the Late rooms advertising and have not been able to see the advertising you have described but have contacted them to ensure they remove this information if they are doing this , please accept my apologies.

Please again accept my apologies for a stay that would not have disappointed if the advertising you saw was accurate rather than not.

I do hope you come and stay with us again.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband booked an overnight for our anniversary and the main hotel is really lovely and decorated to a very high standand. The gardens were also beautiful and its a gorgeous venue for a wedding without being over formal. The evening menu was really extensive and the food was great although my well done sirloin was quite charred whilst my husband's well done fillet was perfect. Although the cooked breakfast was great, the contintental selection was limited to cereal, natural yoghurt, some fruit and a pastry but no jams, breads, croissants to choose from yourself. The service at dinner was excellent and all the staff really friendly, however at breakfast we had to seek someone to take our main order after finishing our tea and toast around 15 minutes earlier. When our breakfast did arrive, no-one offered more toast or drinks despite forgetting to take our order earlier.

I love country house hotels as they have a grandeur without being stuffy whilst still retaining a sense of history. However, as we were unable to get a room in the main building, we booked a courtyard room. Unfortunately, it felt as if we were staying in a completely different hotel. Although there were all the essentials and a few nice touches, the courtyard building and rooms felt bland and unwelcoming and were at complete odds with the main hotel.

I appreciate that in order to increase revenue, many country hotels have extensions or annexes but creating something that isnt sympathetic to the main building or rooms that are not finished anywhere near the same standard, is my pet hate. It feels like you have been duped in some way. I dont like modern hotels as a rule although when staying in a city, you know what to expect.

I would point out in fairness however that the main hotel is warm and welcoming with comfy seating and open fires so if I had been staying here, I'm sure my review would have been completely different. Its such a shame as it did have so many other things going for it.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel and not the courtyard if you prefer the country house feel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
WesternHouse014, General Manager at Western House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write your review and your kind comments about the main house and evening meal, please accept my apologies for the less than satisfactory breakfast service this is well below our normal standards.

As for the Courtyard rooms I am sorry you felt they were a let down and I can only apologise you felt it let your stay down. The Courtyard rooms are modern and decorated to the highest of standards gaining a four Gold star recognition but we try to clearly advertise how they look on our website to try to avoid any disappointment.

I again apologise that this has been the case on this occasion and to hope that you return and stay in our Five star standard main house rooms.

Aberford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Plenty of parking, immaculate grounds, lovely staff and our terrace suite (Room 110) was probably the best room in the hotel; other than the Bridal Suite of course.

Room was extremely spacious, had a seating area, dressing room, separate WC to bathroom and magnificent views from every single window.

Wedding food was hot and tasty, although whilst the tea and coffee were being served we were also being promptly ushered out of the function room in readiness for the evening guests to arrive - dinner wine in one hand and clutch bag or a camera in the other ultimately meant hot tea & coffee abandoned on every table :(

2 bars available throughout the wedding, so no queueing :) Quiet seating area whilst the partying and dancing took place in the function room and music stopped bang on midnight.....but the bar stayed open until about 3:30am :)

Overall happy guests and would visit again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments.

I am glad you found your room to your liking and 110 is a lovely room, as with the rest of the rooms in the main house which are decorated and furnished to the same standards !
We hope you come and stay with us again soon

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We attended a wedding at Western House and from the welcome prosecco and canapés to the evening buffet all was perfect. Western House is a beautiful country house hotel and they certainly knows how to look after their guests. The gardens are beautiful for photographs but also extensive enough to stroll around with a glass of fizz, enjoying the string group without intruding on the formal photograph taking. The meal was superb, piping hot, beautifully presented and tasty - not an easy task for such a large group. Our waitress Alison was excellent, attentive yet unobtrusive.
The highlight of the evening buffet was the legendary Killie pies - spread the word they're superb. Overall a perfect day not only for the bride and groom but for these wedding guests as well!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us here at Western House Hotel, I have passed on your kind comments to Alison.
I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again in the near future.

Malcolm Balish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayr
Savoy Park Hotel
The Marine Hotel
The Marine Hotel
#4 of 6 in Troon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,006 reviews

Been to Western House Hotel? Share your experiences!