“This must be the most welcoming restaurant in Ayr...”
Review of Adega Portuguesa LTD - CLOSED

Adega Portuguesa LTD
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Beautifully cooked Portuguese food, genuine hospitality and not overpriced, this is a little restaurant that is well worth seeking out! Only a few minutes walk from the main thoroughfare and yet you really feel you have been temporarily transported to Portugal - from the background music to the décor and the warm welcome, this is a must if you are looking for a relaxed lunch or evening meal...no drinks licence but they are happy for you to bring your own wine (or there is a Co-op just minutes away with an excellent selection). Do give it a try, you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We came upon this lovely little place by chance earlier this year. Since then we have returned there for lunch on two other occasions when we visited Ayr. Food is tasty and freshly prepared. The lunch menu is very good value for money and the Portuguese couple who own the restaurant are charming and keen to do all they can to please. What surprises us is that when we have been there it has never been busy. Hope that more people discover the Adega Portuguesa. It deserves to succeed.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Authenticity aside, the food in Adega Portuguesa was really good. Although there was a very reasonably price Steak night on when we visited, we opted for the A la carte menu. The prawn starter my friends took was overpriced and not at all what we expected (about 5 or 6 prawns on a bed of lettuce) although it was tasty. I would definitely recommend the chorizo starter. The reasonably priced main course of “Bacalhau a Bras” (for two) was really nice and it came with a side of nicely dressed salad. Although my friend had changed her mind and in the end opted for steak, the sea bass she ended up with was really fresh and tasty, as was the steak with chocolate and (brandy?) sauce. An unusual combination but I tasted the sauce and it was delicious! We did not take a desert. The service was ok but I can see Tony struggling if the place gets any busier as the service was a bit disjointed as the dishes came out staggered rather than everything at the same time. Not really an issue as such but there was a distinct feeling that there was only one person cooking in the kitchen. Some of the food was not as hot as it could have been. As for authenticity, being Portuguese, I’ll try to be as objective as I can. The friendly service, including the free welcome Port wine was indeed a nice Portuguese touch. What was not was the little toast crackers which were being passed for bread! A charge of £1.50 was not made as I did make an issue of this. These days there is great baked bread even in most supermarkets, so I can’t overlook this. 3 of the 4 of us at the table like our bread which is an integral part of the Portuguese dinner table and in the Portuguese spirit this should be free of charge. Oh...and the olives were tasteless. My other gripe is…no espresso machine!!! CHOCK, HORROR! I felt the meal was incomplete without my espresso! Even at home I finish my meal with a coffee. This is very untypically Portuguese and we urge Tony to invest even in a little Nespresso machine which is inexpensive and the coffee is good. Finally I do want to finish on a positive note. Maybe not the best thing but definitely a big saving is the fact that you can bring your wine along and there isn’t even a corkage charge! Fantastic! Definitely not typically Portuguese but we like it! We wish Tony and his wife all the best as it is great to have a little taste of Portugal here in the west coast of Scotland. We will definitely be going back soon.

1  Thank SDColemax
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We lunched as a family of four and the food was excellent although there was no choice so might not have suited everyone.

At £10 for three courses and a drink great value although it will suffer if it doesn't get a drinks licence.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We discovered this quite by accident, tucked away down a narrow passage off the main street.

They don't yet have a drinks licence but there's an off licence 20 seconds from the entrance.

It's decorated simply but pleasantly. We felt made to feel very comfortable.

Food - it seems ridiculous to describe a side salad as gorgeous but you know what? It genuinely was. My steak came in a sauce which was good, though the meat was a tiny bit chewy, as was my colleague's.

There's a large TV screen there, which works well when the restaurant is half full of blokes during the World Cup. I'd be interested to see how this works when Coronation Street/whatever is on.