“Not worth the money.”

Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven
Ranked #2 of 7 Speciality Lodging in Ayr
“Not worth the money.”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Went for a long weekend with a friend my 2 yr old daughter and my friends 15 yr old. My daughter was to small for all the shows and all she could get on in the amusements were £1 for 20 seconds. The 15 yr old was to big for all the shows and not interested in any the amusements. I also found a bag and purse and there was no where to hand it in, had just to leave it at nearest shop. The toilets in amusements were flooded. Were next to the caravan from hell. The young ones who partied none stop for 3 days. My daughter was woken up several times and we all ended up sleeping in the living area for the entire time.

• Stayed July 2014
Craig T, Manager at Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to review our park. I am sorry to hear that you felt the entertainment wasn't suited to young children. We do have a kids club called Little Cubs which is particularly suited for much younger children, and many children also enjoy the early character shows in the bonga wonga such as Story Time. I shall pass your feedback on to our entertainment manager for his consideration.

I am also disheartened to hear that the caravan next to you was too noisy; I can only apologise that our park patrols missed this.

If you have any issues or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me on our park number 01292 265141.

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
East Ayrshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Me, my hubby and son back from a 4 night stay in a prestige caravan. We were upgraded to this caravan because the one we booked was cancelled..I was impressed with the cleanliness of the van. We had great weather and my son had a brilliant time. I do think that the entertainment passes could be a little cheaper though. All in all, we had a great time and we will be back to craig tara...Thankyou everyone involved

1 Thank pauline c
Hi,

Glad to hear you had a good time at our park! I'm glad to hear that your pleased with the cleanliness standards of the van.

The prices of our entertainment passes are set by our head office but these are continously reviewed and all feedback is taken into consideration about this.

I hope that we can welcome you to our park again!

Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

the apartments were hard to find- not well sign posted. glass outside on the grass! the outside door had a hole in it and the inside doors were not much better although they were patched up with plywood. the windows were rotten with dirt and would not close properly. the furniture were also dirty and uncomfortable and using cheap fold down beds to sleep on (I ended up getting a bad back from it!!) reception didn't seem to care when I checked out

Room Tip: do not stay in the apartments!!!!
4 Thank shazzaw2808
Craig T, Manager at Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Hi,

I am sorry to hear that your experience at Craig Tara was not what it should have been. Our accommodation is cleaned and checked for maintenance issues and these should certainly have been rectified before you checked in. Certainly if team had been notified we would have rectified these issues as soon as possible. Please accept my sincere apologies and my assurances that this is not the usual experience at our park.

I am sorry to hear you wouldn't want to return to our site - if you wish to reconsider please do not hesitate to contact me on our park number 01292 265141.

Guest Relations

Travellers are raving about these Ayr hotels

Glasgow
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I had heard about this resort in the travel agent and they told me it was a popular place to go so I thought me and my family would try it out so we did , but when we got here there was a lot of nasty surprises , our caravan was extremely dirty as we had a bad smell of dog, there was hairs in the bed , the caravan was so cold that we had to sleep with jackets on , the kitchen and living room area was very dirty , there was also sea gulls stamping on the roof all night , and in the middle of the night there was constant fighting and people shouting , I was told that there was lots of great facilities but all there really was at night was lots of game machines and there was some acts on too ,the swimming pool also looked pretty grubby so overall not a nice place to stay !!

Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Kate_434
Hi,

I am sorry to hear of your experience at our site. You should absolutely expect your caravan to be cleaned to the highest standard and I can only apologise that this wasn't the case for you. The standard procedure when notified of cleanliness issues is to send our accommodation team straight down to rectify this for you.

It is unfortunate that you found our facilities and entertainment a disappointment. Our park has a large swimming pool, an indoor sports arena as well as outdoor sports area. We also have kids clubs through the day and entertainment in both venues at night.

I hope that we can welcome you to our park again and you can have a better experience.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I been to craig Tara the last 2 years and would say I have a good time when I go entertainment was good on Friday night but went home early on Sat night as entertainment was not my thing as there was a rock band on in live lounge and felt they could have had something different on as not everyone is into rock but that just my opinion but overall holiday was good caravan was clean and staff were really nice in live lounge Louise behind the bar was always on hand. So I will be returning again next year with family

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank stuartyboy36
Hi,

Lovely to hear you had a wonderful stay with here at Craig Tara! We're very proud of the entertainment we have here so it is lovely to hear you enjoyed it. It's sad to hear that not all of it was to your taste, but this can happen sometimes when you're trying to cater for such a range of ages and tastes!

I hope that we can welcome you back to our park in the future!

Kelty, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Hadn't been here for many years so thought we would give it a go for our family holiday this year. Booked 7 months in advance and even phoned ahead to specify that I am disabled and wanted to make sure that my accommodation would be disabled friendly and could park right next to it. Also booked Prestige caravan as I knew I would be spending most of my time sitting in it (can't manage the noise and bustle of the venues so wanted somewhere nice to chill and relax while family made use of the park facilities). On arrival they told us they couldn't find key for allocated van so they would allocate another one asap. After waiting about 15 minutes they brought us a key and we went off to the designated one only to find that the key did not open the main door to the caravan but was for the patio doors - which were up in the air at the end of the van with no sign of steps or a verandah and had a heavy metal tow bar right underneath them ! My husband climbed up and opened the door to get inside and then my daughter and I returned to the reception to find out what had happened regarding the key. A young lady took the key and our pack away and said she would find out what had happened and after a further 15 minute wait another young lady came out and said the cleaning team had the key and would hand it in ? Had to ask again to get the pack back with passes etc in it. By this time it was 3.15 and we should have been able to get in to our van at 2pm. Went back and on going inside the van found there was a pile of disgusting cigarette ends on the ground outside it, the windows had obviously not been cleaned for ages, the dishes, cutlery and glasses were not clean and the cutlery drawer had crumbs in in from previous tenants and there was rubbish in cupboard under tv and on top of the wardrobe in main bedroom. I spent the next couple of hours scrubbing and cleaning everything as I couldn't bear to think of staying in a dirty place. I did go back to reception and report the missing verandah steps and the danger of someone falling out of it and being seriously hurt - and the lack of proper cleaning - TWICE - I also put a letter in to the reception for attention of the manager (to be told that I would hear back in approximately 14 days ???? What happened to rectifying faults right away so customers can enjoy their holiday ?) I then got an email from the complex - thinking it was in response to my letter - it was a survey hoping I had had a lovely holiday and asking for feedback !!!! This while we were actually still there ! I responded to the email detailing the contents of my letter again and pointing out that I had expected to have my concerns sorted out before the end of the holiday - I received an email in return the next evening telling me that I would hear back from them in due course - now in all my years of working in the service industry I was always taught that customers expectations should always be met and to bend over backwards to sort things out STRAIGHT AWAY - what good is responding to complaints a couple of weeks later once the holiday has already been marred by these things ????

Having said all this - once cleaned up the caravan was fine - certainly not my idea of a Prestige caravan but fine for the five of us,- I sat in and did a lot of knitting and watching tv - the steps being very high and not easy for me to manage so didn't feel safe coming in and out. My husband, two daughters and grandaughter went to the shows in the Bonga Wonga and Live Lounge every night and had a great time there - everything is very expensive and the food on site is very basic and not exactly healthy so would advise bringing food with you or shopping and cooking in your accommodation.

Staff were very friendly and full of fun and the maintenance guys that I had to ask for twice to fix toilet roll holders in the bathroom were there very quickly (they advised that they could not put steps at verandah as the caravan was a privately owned one and Haven would have to contact the owner first to ask them to pay for steps to be put at the doors - surely if the caravan was to be fit to rent out to the public the camp staff should make sure these things are in place before accepting a caravan as suitable to rent out in the first place ?

I would say that coming to a place like this is a hit or miss as far as accommodation is concerned - we have had Sun breaks that we paid very little for and were in amazing caravans which were spotlessly clean and all for just $9.50 each - and then this occasion when we felt let down and even with an early booking discount of over £200 we still spent over £600 for this week (and went through another £1,300 while we were there !). If we come again I think I would have to make sure I got the luxury class accommodation to be sure of the most comfortable outcome x

Room Tip: go for the highest grade of accommodation you can afford.
4 Thank Linda J
Craig T, Guest Relations Manager at Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for leaving a review based on your recent stay at Craig Tara.

I am sorry to read you had a bad experience with us and would love to see you return in the Future so we can change your mind and hopefully exceed all of your expectations.

Kind Regards,

Jennifer Carrick
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

i would like to say that I stayed the weekend with my family and great grand children the apartment we stayed at was very clean and fresh thanks to Claire burns the cleaner a lady called Elaine from the accommodation team came down with keys for us as wee couldn't open all our doors my great grand children had a great time on park and the bonga Wonga so I would like to thank all the park for my wonder full stay

1 Thank Martha M
Hi,

Glad to hear you had a fantastic holiday with us! We're very proud of the entertainment and facilities we have on park and we're always glad to hear when our guests enjoy them.

It's lovely to see from your photos that you enjoyed the soft play and face painting.

Hope to see you back soon!

Guest Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayr
Horizon Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Irvine
Savoy Park Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
#1 of 17 in Ayr

Been to Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven? Share your experiences!