“Friendly new management”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Prestwick
Glasgow
“Friendly new management”
Reviewed 26 March 2010

I stayed for 6 days at the beginning of March. I was informed that management had changed that day - a buy-out by some staff. I found the accommodation comfortable and the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The food was also good and I had no trouble with the WiFi. I used it a lot. True - some of the decor was a bit dated but I believe they have plans. So it really depends what you want from a stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Rooms: Later in the stay we were moved to the North Beach Hotel again. The room here was an aderquate size with a 'dated' feel. Although the en-suite appeared to have been refurbished recently, the finish was poor and the shower was dirty. The hotel was cold throughout (including the dining area), despite having central heating. The hotel staff were happy to lend portable/oil radiators when required.

Cleaning: Daily cleaning of a high standard (except shower). Tea/Coffee/Biscuits replenished daily and bedding/towels changed frequently. Cleaners are very friendly and flexible to come back at different times e.t.c.

Facilities: The hotel advertised free wi-fi. This was only available in some rooms, as the coverage did not cater for all rooms. The wi-fi was incredibly slow when within range. I noted that some fire exits were bolted/locked shut when I checked out the exit route I would have to take in the event of an emergency. Some fire doors were wedged open.

Food: The menu for guests is limited. Dining for guests sometimes takes place in the bar instead of the restaurant. There is a choice between classic british food and indian food - both have too much salt and are rarely as described. On occasions the food I received was undercooked (cod, potatoes), not heated (*hot* chocolate fudge cake), or overcooked (vegetables, chicken). The service however is quick, and the chef will cook alternatives/variations if requested.

Staff: The owners/managers are lacking in hospitality and customer service skills. They were unable to resolve queries on most occasions. The hotel does have a number of other staff (cleaning staff, waiters, waitresses) who seem to always be polite, friendly and helpful.

I am re-writing this review having seen that my previous review was removed. I have been completely honest about the North Beach Hotel in this review (as I have done with all my other reviews - you can compare them if you like) and welcome you to contact me should you have questions.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank johnjohnjohnuk

Travellers are raving about these Prestwick hotels

scotland
Reviewed 17 April 2009

Where do I begin? I stayed here in October and November 2008 and it was the worst hotel experience ever. Don't be fooled by the website. The claims of new ownership are false, ownership hasn't changed.

Rooms: Dirty, small, uncomfortable, out-dated and tired.

High-speed internet access: Well broadband that is capped all day and is only useable between 1am and 6am. So technically yes they have internet access, but it's of no use whatsoever.

Food: Generally not good - at times uncooked fish, oversalty food, cold 'hot' puddings, etc. The currys were nice (trying to be positive here!).

Staff: The owners are in it for the money, nothing else. The staff (other than the owners) are underpaid, but very friendly and helpful.

Hotel in general: Heating works occasionally (this is necessary in Prestwick). Portable heaters are sometimes available. Beware that you may be shoved in the hotel down the road - not that it's any better or worse, just unexpected! Generally the whole place exists for the owners to suck as much money out of it as possible and to invest as little as possible back. Hence it's not a pleasant place to stay. You've been warned....

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank paulmicock
ally59, public relations at North Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2009
First of all thanks to the reviewer for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We are very disappointed that his stay was not an enjoyable one. As responsible owners we view it our duty to accept bad reviews as well as the good. The points that the reviewer made have been looked at and addressed & we would like to point out that the comment about the broadband was valid due to an i.t issue which has now been resolved. The comment about the standard of food, while we are disappointed that this did not meet his requirements during his visit a new head chef is now in place. The moving of customers from prestwick old course to the north beach is regretable but due to the on-going investment programme at the time it was unavoidable,however this eventuality is mentioned in the text on our web site & it is not something we would do without reason. The comment on ownership, we have been the owners of both hotels for just over three years now so at the time of the reviewers first visit it would be only two years. Central heating did give us a couple of problems but this is now fully operational ( reviewer is right you do need it in prestwick at that time) although we did have a couple of comments from other customers that it was "too warm in the room". This brings us to the comment about the rooms being "Dirty, small, uncomfortable, out-dated and tired", this is first complaint we have had about the rooms being dirty, this is something that we take very seriously as the staff that attend to the rooms have very high standards as you can see from the comments of other reviewers,out dated & tired ,again this is suprising as other reviewers have commented that the rooms are comfortable. Clearly the reviewer that posted the comments certainly had valid points about some of the issues & we would hope that he would reconsider his decision not to stay with us in the future as we are working hard both staff & management to give our customers the best service & to maintain the reputation that prestwick ayrshire has for giving a warm & friendly welcome to both golfers & holidaymakers alike. Once again thank you for your review.

Staff & Manager old course/ north beach hotels.
Nairobi
Reviewed 16 January 2009

I stayed in the Hotel on a business trip. I liked the hotel because of the close proximity to the Airport, Train Station and Main Street.

The staff are very friendly and professional. They make sure you feel at home.

The rooms were okay and warm. I could actually view the historic Prestwick Golf Club from my room!

The food was excellent and I got a surprise fruit basket in my room, and on enquiring i was informed that the new owners were giving lots of complimentary give a-ways to attract back the clientèle.

I would highly recommend this hotel to the business people who want everything at an arms reach.

• Liked — The restaurant and bar are very cozy and warm especially the bar view of the golf course. The staff are also very friendly
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prestwick
The Marine Hotel
Western House Hotel
Travelodge Ayr
Travelodge Ayr
#8 of 17 in Ayr

Been to North Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!