“Excellent B&B with access to lots of golf courses”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dormie House

Dormie House
Ranked #3 of 20 Prestwick B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Excellent B&B with access to lots of golf courses”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2010

After traveling around Scotland and playing golf for three weeks, I reached this area for a six night stay. The area offers access to many very good golf courses and this B&B is conveniently located for access to courses such as Turnberry (35 minutes away), Royal Troon (very close), Prestwick (also very close) and Western Gailes (about ten minutes away).

Peter provided excellent information prior to my arrival, which was very helpful in planning my trip. My stay with him could not have been better. The house is modern and away from street noise, so it is quiet. My room was spacious and the bed comfortable. Had tub and shower in bathroom. Morning breakfast was excellent and had a range of menu options. There was a muiti-channel TV with Sky sports so the U.S. Open golf tournament was available for viewing on the night of my arrival. The facility had good literature regarding golf and other tourist activities in the area. Free wi-fi was very good.

The location is such that I would consider this area as part of a combination Ireland/Scotland golf trip, with ferry from Belfast or near Belfast to Troon. The abundance of courses in the area makes it especially attractive. The courses seem generally available and the area seems relaxed and uncrowded with golfers (at least the week i was there).

I'd return to the area for more golf and would definitely contact Dormie House for lodging. In fact, I would probably consider the availability of Dormie House in setting up my itinerary in the first place.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

We stayed here in late May on the basis of the Trip Advsor Reviews. And we are glad we did. Peter and Marilyn made us very welcome and could not do enough to make our stay pleasant.
We were shown to our room on the first floor which was very spacious and clean. The furniture was great - and teh bathroom, whilst small, was very good.
We were provided with some great suggestion where to have dinner and they were great. Breakfast was very good - plenty on offer and they couldnt do enough for us.
Peter gave us some good hints for our journey onwards and checkout was a breeze.
I would very much recommend this a great place to stay and hope to be back one day.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2010

My hubby had a business trip to Ayrshire and I decided to go along for the ride and I am so glad I did! We are pretty hard to please when it comes to quality of accommodation and because it was on the Company's tab, the budget was limited. No four star hotel nearby came in under the £100 I had to play with, so this is how we ended up in the Dormie House, a 4* B&B, a couple of miles from Ayr at £85 per night.
I'm not usually keen on staying in B&B. I don't like the feeling that you are intruding in other people's houses and I was nervous about the 'set up'. I needn't have worried!
The guest seem to have their own 'wing'.
Even tho' we arrived late (from a family event which over-ran) Peter was waiting for us with a friendly welcome at 11.30pm. We were both tired and he got the balance of not being too much 'in your face' whilst still being very attentive, informative and helpful.
The accommodation itself was simply fabulous. A lovely ground floor 'master' bedroom, which could be set up as a twin or a large king size. Very spacious and with a large, fully equipped and spotless en-suite. There was everything you could ever need in terms of toiletries and also spare blankets/a heater and all the usual but essential bits and bobs you'd usually find in a top class hotel. Their book selection was a lovely addition and there was something for everyone. I was particularly drawn by one entitled 'Things you didn't know about Scotland'.
Another bonus here was the beautiful lounge - for guests only and we were the only ones - with bar, fridge (containing fresh milk for your cuppa) computer and large TV.
It looked sooo inviting. We just didn't have the time to make full use of it, which was a shame).
Breakfast in the morning was faultless - great choice for a small B&B. Between us we sampled porrage, fresh undyed haddock with poached eggs and a great Scottish breakfast, which was all exceptional quality. It came with fresh rolls and a Herald newspaper - which made it just about perfect in hubby's eyes!
Peter and Marilyn have got this place running like a charm as they cater with apparent tolerance and good humor to even the most forgetful of guests! They have managed to convert me from the faceless large hotels with their hospitality and attention to detail.
The Dormie House really is 'something I didn't know about Scotland' and I am really glad I do now! I can't wait for hubby's next business trip 'down south'

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Scottish Highlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2009

My wife and self arrived somewhat tired just after midnight to a warm welcome from Peter. No fuss, but every care and attention had been taken for us to settle in quickly. Early breakfast at 7.30 offered an excellant range from both the cold and cooked menus. We liked the whole feel of the place and the beds are really good if you have a niggling back.
Thanks Peter for your help with the cases to the bus stop. Bob and Shelagh.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KT66
Guelph
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2009

My three sons and three grandsons used Dormie House as our base for golf and The Open at Turnberry. We were thrilled by our choice! Peter & Marilyn were exceedingly gracious, attending to our every need. The huge, delicious, wonderful variety breakfasts were a highlight, rendering lunch largely redundant. Peter joined us for golf, adding great local insight and enhancing the experience (even though he usually beat all of us!).

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Stuttgart
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

Perfect in every way. We stayed with our 2 children and the room was large, comfortable and spotless. A great location for getting to the Prestwick airport. Peter gave us a great Indian food recommendation. The place to stay in Ayeshire!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2009

Stayed here for an overnight before flying early next morning from airport. Had an early (6.30am ) continental b/fast and only wished we had had a later flight in order for us to enjoy the well recommended leisurely cooked b/fast. Our room was spotless and comfortable and large and much better than the hotel we were booked in at Bournemouth.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prestwick
Parkstone
Western House Hotel
Golf View
Golf View
#2 of 20 in Prestwick

Been to Dormie House? Share your experiences!