“Short visit”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hamilton
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom
“Short visit”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

An attractive facade and sweeping entrance, welcoming and helpful staff. My room had a large comfortable bed, all very clean, ensuite had an optional jaccuzzi. Evening meal had good choices of recognisable food very tasty and served in the attractive function room. Breakfast had great selection of cereals, fruits, yogurts, you name it and the cooked part was just fine. and staff very attentive Only slight problem, the towels were placed on a rather high rack. No lift but help with luggage was cheerfully given.

Room Tip: As only a one night stay really can't comment, my room suited me fine.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We went to the Avonbridge as a group to celebrate a retirement. We use the hotel a lot and like it but on this occasion we had to use a set menu which we werent expecting. £23 for 3 courses and coffee was an ok deal but when a few of the group asked for the al a carte menu because there was nothing they liked on the set choice...they were told flatly it was only the set menu available. There was 14 of us so can sort of understand it ..but at other nights out we always had al a carte!.. It put a bit of a damper on the night. Not ideal having a night out and having something on the menu you dont really like.!!! I enjoyed my meal though and staff are attentive as always.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The restaurant for evening meal was excellent, both staff & food. Not the same could be said for breakfast, was unable to offer any hot option as the key to the fridge had been lost!!!

Room very poorly decorated and strong smell of stale smoke. Offered a room with a Spa bath which didn’t work , Wi-Fi was more like using dialup very slow once you finally managed to get access.

Room Tip: Try a diffrent hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

The restaurant constantly cooks perfect fish n chips. The fish is the freshest I've had in the UK and it is just lovely. The restaurant staff are always cheery and welcoming, full of wit and repartee! A place that I'd recommend unreservedly. I've stayed occasionally too and rooms are good value, always clean and welcoming! Thank you to all the staff whom we see regularly.... no names as I'll probably miss someone out!.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed here with a coach trip which included the Edinburgh tattoo.
Not the biggest of bedrooms but spotlessly clean and adequate. TV, kettle, coffee etc, iron and board-what more do people want?
We were at the rear and it was veryquiet at night, even though weddings were being held on two of the evenings.
Food was very good-we were on a set menu. However the other meals looked very appetising.
Very pleasant staff everywhere-nothing too much trouble.
Only minutes off the motorway-would stay here again either if by coach or travelling independently.
Well done to all at the Avonbridge.

Room Tip: Try at the rear if possible. There are also annexes-colleagues were pleased with them but there was...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

After a long drive I was told there was no running hot water in my room, to eventually be moved to a twin room with mattresses that were simply dreadfully worn out. This was followed by finding that the restaurant was shut with no food so ended up having a curry delivered and then told not to eat it in the bar. With the lumpy mattress I was awake at 3.30am so eventually made a coffee in my room but the long life milk was off! To crown my experience they said they couldn't offer me a discount off the room rate booked!! Maybe John Cleese was here and I missed him.......

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Ian T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

It is located in a quite place, 10 mins walk to Hamilton Central station, so was a perfect base for our Commonwealth Games sojourn.

Very well received at reception by the lovely ladies and were given a beautiful room with poster bed; spic and span. It was a really big room with a wall mounted LCD TV and a good size bathroom. Absolutely love it and no complain, ample parking, free Wi-fi.
We requested an early breakfast at 4:30 a.m. in our room and were promptly told continental bfast can be arranged and delivered. I am lactose intolerant and therefore requested to have soya milk with my cereals. Was very politely told it would not be possible to have that now as I hadn't requested it beforehand, very politely refused but there were ample other things in bfast, so no issues.

After a while I got a call in my room to say, they have arranged for Lactose free milk, wow, that’s called going that extra mile.

We came back at around 1:30 am (thanks to poor management by Glasgow organizers which kept us out of the train station until a big crowd gathered) and went to bed only to wake up at 4:30 with no breakfast.
When I called the reception I was told they have no information about the breakfast, soya milk or delivering it to my room unless I am The Honeymoon couple (well, that’s new). Anyways, we got ready and came down to the dining hall which had some basic bfast (and no lactose free milk), but none of the other things I was told I can have.
The gentleman at the reception was not at all sorry for the mess and just kept saying – Sir, we don’t have any such request in our system unless you are the honeymoon couple.

It was more the feeling of being promised and then not-delivered rather than the breakfast itself. If I would have just been told, Sorry, you will have to come down and have the breakfast here, I would have given 4 stars based on everything else – Over promise and under delivery has let them down.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Holiday Inn Express Hamilton
#1 of 1 in Larkhall
The Alona Hotel
The Alona Hotel
#5 of 9 in Motherwell

Been to Avonbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!