“Such a spendidly scenic stay.”
Review of Loch Achray Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aberfoyle
Loch Achray Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Aberfoyle
Reviewed 29 January 2014

After booking our oh so reasonably priced 5 day trip, I read the reviews on trip advisor as this was out first visit with Lochs and Glens, and as they all seemed to be very positive, I was very excited. It was indeed a memorable stay and trip. The hotel was extremely well run, we did not touch our suitcases from the moment they were put on the coach until they arrived in our room. Meal times were staggered and we were given the various days meal times upon arrival, this worked very well. The food was served very efficiently and it was adequate, I never went hungry (any one who thinks differently must be used to buffet style meals at hotels so they can overfill their plates). I do agree with the reviewer who said the coffee was not very nice, so take your own quality sachets for the room and I am sure the staff would provide hot water upon request at meal times. Our room was a nice size and very clean, although I found the bed hard, I am spoilt by preferring a memory mattress. My pillows were also hard but a quiet word with the maid and I returned from breakfast to find two fluffy pillows waiting for us. We were in room 103 and I don't know who was in 203 above us but I can tell you precisely every time that they got up to use the bathroom throughout the night, as their footsteps woke me, so either the floors are very thin or the occupants were the heaviest of giants!!! Our driver Michael was terrific, friendly and helpfull, I felt very at ease with his driving at all times, which was just as well as you do spend a lot of time on the coach, as unfortunately although the hotel is splendid in it's grounds with what I am sure are wonderful walks, but unfortunately due to so much rain this was not possible, so with nothing else to do it made sense to go on the trips which actually were not that great, my husband was not too pleased with 4 hours shopping in Stirling shopping mall, as the castle is a taxi ride away and we were told £13 entrance fee. One of the villages we visited was mostly closed, so it was a case of doing a lot of sitting in cafes waiting to return to the coach. On the trip up to Scotland we were collected at 7.15am and arrived at the hotel at 6pm ish, so it is a long day with a bit of a numb bum by the time you arrive!! Overall at this time of year, it was a good holiday and brilliant value for money. Oh yes, the entertainment was mostly male singers with keyboards, 9-11pm but we all had a jolly good dance. Especially lucky as the saturday was Burns night, so we were treated to the added bonus of a piper and wee girl dancers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel (although having one at the back I am not sure if there was...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cherrill R
There are newer reviews for Loch Achray Hotel

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed at Loch Achray Hotel a few times when I was younger, when accompanying my Granddad who was a coach driver. We loved the hotel then and we still love it now!

My partner and myself took our grandparents away for a short winter warmer holiday and they enjoyed every minute. The coach drivers were brilliant!! They were full of knowledge, had a great sense of humour and could not help enough!! The excursions were great too!

The hotel was just how I remembered it, cosy, peaceful and has amazing views!! At the front of the hotel there are Highland Cattle. I must admit meeting these guys topped off my holiday brilliantly! :) The service at the hotel is excellent. When you arrive at the hotel there are people there to meet you to take your cases to your room and the restaurant and bar service is excellent!

The food was lovely! Despite catering for a large number of people the food was well presented, hot and there was quite a good variety, with haggis being on the menu twice in the week! There was also no wait between courses!

The bedrooms are a little dated, but they are in keeping with the rest of the hotel. They were spotlessly clean, very comfortable and could easily get a good nights sleep.

The daily quiz and evening entertainment was a lot fun and was a great opportunity to meet people off other coach trips.

We all had a brilliant holiday with amazing memories made! Lochs and Glens is great value for money and I would definitely use them again!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LillyRose1943
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We love Lochs & Glens, and are already booked for late August as my birthday celebration to another hotel, we've been to Inversnaid & Loch Awe and loved both, but in our room last week we had a knocking noise all through the night, we think caused by the central heating, we were forced to take sleeping pills just to get some sleep the reception told us there would be a plumber the 2nd day, well every day after our excursion we asked if the plumber had been and every day were given excuses why he hadn't arrived, we think they never even bothered to phone a plumber, just thought oh well they're only here another couple of nights and they will be gone !!!!
Plus I am VERY fussy about my food and like it to be cooked properly, also the servings were quite small, I know the price of the break is very good but would like an adult size portion, apart from the breakfast which was ok, I never enjoyed one dinner. But the staff were lovely in the dining hall.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 109, unless they have fixed the constant noise at night
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tink49_12
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This was our second New Year break with Lochs & Glens and we had a wonderful time again. Everything ran like clockwork and with the mealtimes staggered between the different coach parties, there is never a long wait for food, which was really very good considering the price we paid. Our room overlooked the beautiful loch. It was clean, perfectly adequate and the shower was very good, with piping hot water. All staff were friendly and helpful and our only slight criticism is that on New Year's Eve the entertainment was not as good as at Loch Awe last year and really didn't get properly warmed up until after the refreshments had been served at midnight!

Can't fault Lochs & Glens for value for money and we'll definitely be using them again.

Room Tip: We had a second floor room at the front of the hotel which overlooked the loch and also the field wi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Diane061
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Excellent, service, spotless Hotel, very friendly and helpful, food very good, trips good,can not fault! (only the coffee, its horrible! take your own)
We passed through Callander a few times, looks like a very interesting little town, maybe offer a trip there?

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mandy709
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I got back yesterday evening from a wonderful trip to this hotel . I have not been on a coach trip for many years so I was worried about the trio from southampton. I am glad to say that it went so well with a great driver in Dean, he was so funny but also had such great knowledge that the trip went by very quickly. On arrival I was impressed with how helpful and friendly the staff were. The food was just brilliant and again the staff could not do more to help with any extra requests. The bar was a delight and some great malt's to enjoy in the evening . The trips were also very good and interesting , you certainly get a great chance to see Scotland. Having never been to Scotland I was taken aback by it's beauty.The evening entertainment was not really my bag but you have plenty of other areas to sit and enjoy your malt. I can only thank all the staff I met and thank them for there help and friendly attitude. I really wish I was still there .Cheers

Room Tip: I had a great room upstairs with views of the loch that take you breath away
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank jack8032
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Our first Lochs and Glens holiday,no disappointments at all. All the staff in the Hotel showed great 'hospitality' from beginning to end.We were very impressed with the menu choices,the service and quality and quantity of food. No complaints whatsoever.Our room was always spotless when we arrived back from our excursions each day. Plenty of teabags/coffee/milks etc always replenished. Such a cosy,warm atmosphere even though the rain hammered down and very high winds each evening it certainly wasn'nt cold inside.The music entertainment was good each evening,plenty of variation,ballroom,line dancing,scottish reels,disco etc etc.
Our Drivers were very knowledgeable and we were very impressed with Marchin's memory for historic dates when events took place etc.We met a lovely couple from Plymouth on our first evening and it seemed we had a lot in common even though we had never met before. We had such laughs and it really made the holiday for us.The Highland cows outside Loch Achray Hotel were always very obliging with the phot shoots even though they were knee deep in mud ,(it was quite squidy)They were waiting for our left over breakfast toast apparently.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank carolenglish37
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberfoyle
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
#2 of 2 in Aberfoyle
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
#1 of 1 in Port of Menteith

Been to Loch Achray Hotel? Share your experiences!