“Why wait, book it now!”
Review of Loch Achray Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aberfoyle
Loch Achray Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Aberfoyle
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Another great time with Lochs and Glens, this time to the Trossachs. Weather was overcast but mainly dry. Our driver, Morag was friendly and an a experienced driver. The high water level in Loch Lomond meant a circular boat trip which caused problems as we then had to visit more outlet shops. To be fair, I do not see what else Morag could have done. Our relief driver to Stiling and Callendar was Eddie; a Glaswegian who was funnier than Billy Connolly and no 'wee swearies'. Both drivers have a vast amount of historical knowledge which is passed on without overloading and becoming boring. You may have guessed, I was impressed again.
Once again, the food was very good, served hot, and the table service was very good.

Room Tip: Rooms on 1st floor at back suffer from kitchen extractor fan noise; best rooms in centre at front or...
1  Thank Iain P

Reviewed 5 February 2014

This was our fifth Lochs and Glens holiday so we knew what the standard was likely to be.
We live in Kent so it is a long day on the coach. Since our last trip they seem to have tweaked the journey to give the drivers a bit more of a margin on their driving hours. Our driver, Mick, gave us plenty of stops and did a great job despite the lack of PA due to a microphone fault.
The coach was as comfortable as a coach can be and we arrived in fairly good shape to be welcomed by Elaine Tibbetts the hotel manager who gave us our room number and told us what time to come down for dinner.
The hotel is all in excellent decorative order and is well heated and draught free so you will have to go out into the beautiful grounds for some fresh air if you feel the need.
The menu is outstanding, with something for everyone. I really had a hard time choosing my courses. The food was fantastic and served on hot plates by cheerful, bright and intelligent staff who knew how to do the job.
Our room was the most remote one in the hotel so we took to leaving our coats on the coach and taking everything we would need down to breakfast to avoid a hike back up the room.
The room itself was superb, with an en-suite bathroom with a really good shower over the bath and plenty of hot towels. There was lots of storage and hanging space and a really comfy bed.
We were there for Burn's night and enjoyed seeing the Haggis piped in and ceremonially stabbed. Two young ladies then proceeded to entertain us with some very energetic Scottish dancing.
All the excursions were good, with some of the scenery covered in snow and all the lochs and other water courses full to overflowing.
One afternoon the coach stopped at Luss for a short visit. I am perplexed as to why, for there is only one village shop and a visitor centre which was closed. It may be more appealing in the summer.
These holidays are just about the best value for money anywhere and we will be booking again.
You would have to be a real nit picker to find any fault and I think it would be difficult to suggest any way to improve the whole experience.

1  Thank Mastral
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Our stay at this Hotel was part of a package called Lochs & Glens Holidays Winter Warmer the break was for 4 days 3 nights at this hotel
The welcome was first class we were met on the coach by Elaine the hotel manager who gave us details of the hotel what we could expect while the porters unloaded our luggage from the coach and delivered it to our rooms

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building that is serviced by the hotel lift as one of the Northern Wind i...
3  Thank Joseph M
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We have just returned from a Lochs and Glens coach holiday at the Loch Achray Hotel. From the moment we arrived at the hotel until we left all of the staff were brilliant. Choice of meals for breakfast and dinner, that should cater for all tastes. The room was very warm and clean and serviced daily.Wifi is available in the lounge area. Entertainment every night while we were there but we stayed in the lounge area for coffee and a few beers. Bar prices were reasonable. Views from the back of the hotel of the mountains and a stream running through, from the front, views of the loch and some highland cattle and sheep.
As we were on a coach tour we had trips to Loch Lomond with a cruise included and a brief visit to Aberfoyle one day. The next day was a tour of Edinburgh followed by time in the city. Next day was a visit to Stirling and an hour in Callander on the way home. Our driver was Kevin who was brilliant throughout. Our first time of travelling with Lochs and Glens and will certainly try at least one of the other hotels.

1  Thank Ian H
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We have just had a lovely winter break at this hotel. We had a lot of rain but it didn't really spoil our trip. We would have liked to do some walks around the hotel area but the weather just wasn't good enough.
Coach was comfortable and a lovely group of people. Coach driver was very professional, informative and kind (Dean), making us hot drinks on the coach every day.
Staff were friendly and polite.
Food in the dining room was nice, lots of toast at breakfast. Food always hot and plenty of choice. I know other reviewers say it is small portions but you can always ask for more.
Can't comment on the entertainment as its not our thing, we prefer to sit in the bar or other areas of the hotel in the evening.
Only small disappointment was with the room. It was a bit small and the ensuite shower room very cramped. Having said that it was spotlessly clean, towels good quality and soft.
Would definitely return in the future.

2  Thank Frances C
Reviewed 29 January 2014

After booking our oh so reasonably priced 5 day trip, I read the reviews on trip advisor as this was out first visit with Lochs and Glens, and as they all seemed to be very positive, I was very excited. It was indeed a memorable stay and trip. The hotel was extremely well run, we did not touch our suitcases from the moment they were put on the coach until they arrived in our room. Meal times were staggered and we were given the various days meal times upon arrival, this worked very well. The food was served very efficiently and it was adequate, I never went hungry (any one who thinks differently must be used to buffet style meals at hotels so they can overfill their plates). I do agree with the reviewer who said the coffee was not very nice, so take your own quality sachets for the room and I am sure the staff would provide hot water upon request at meal times. Our room was a nice size and very clean, although I found the bed hard, I am spoilt by preferring a memory mattress. My pillows were also hard but a quiet word with the maid and I returned from breakfast to find two fluffy pillows waiting for us. We were in room 103 and I don't know who was in 203 above us but I can tell you precisely every time that they got up to use the bathroom throughout the night, as their footsteps woke me, so either the floors are very thin or the occupants were the heaviest of giants!!! Our driver Michael was terrific, friendly and helpfull, I felt very at ease with his driving at all times, which was just as well as you do spend a lot of time on the coach, as unfortunately although the hotel is splendid in it's grounds with what I am sure are wonderful walks, but unfortunately due to so much rain this was not possible, so with nothing else to do it made sense to go on the trips which actually were not that great, my husband was not too pleased with 4 hours shopping in Stirling shopping mall, as the castle is a taxi ride away and we were told £13 entrance fee. One of the villages we visited was mostly closed, so it was a case of doing a lot of sitting in cafes waiting to return to the coach. On the trip up to Scotland we were collected at 7.15am and arrived at the hotel at 6pm ish, so it is a long day with a bit of a numb bum by the time you arrive!! Overall at this time of year, it was a good holiday and brilliant value for money. Oh yes, the entertainment was mostly male singers with keyboards, 9-11pm but we all had a jolly good dance. Especially lucky as the saturday was Burns night, so we were treated to the added bonus of a piper and wee girl dancers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel (although having one at the back I am not sure if there was...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cherrill R
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed at Loch Achray Hotel a few times when I was younger, when accompanying my Granddad who was a coach driver. We loved the hotel then and we still love it now!

My partner and myself took our grandparents away for a short winter warmer holiday and they enjoyed every minute. The coach drivers were brilliant!! They were full of knowledge, had a great sense of humour and could not help enough!! The excursions were great too!

The hotel was just how I remembered it, cosy, peaceful and has amazing views!! At the front of the hotel there are Highland Cattle. I must admit meeting these guys topped off my holiday brilliantly! :) The service at the hotel is excellent. When you arrive at the hotel there are people there to meet you to take your cases to your room and the restaurant and bar service is excellent!

The food was lovely! Despite catering for a large number of people the food was well presented, hot and there was quite a good variety, with haggis being on the menu twice in the week! There was also no wait between courses!

The bedrooms are a little dated, but they are in keeping with the rest of the hotel. They were spotlessly clean, very comfortable and could easily get a good nights sleep.

The daily quiz and evening entertainment was a lot fun and was a great opportunity to meet people off other coach trips.

We all had a brilliant holiday with amazing memories made! Lochs and Glens is great value for money and I would definitely use them again!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LillyRose1943
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberfoyle
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
#1 of 1 in Port of Menteith
Knockderry House Hotel

Been to Loch Achray Hotel? Share your experiences!