“Dream Come True”
Review of Duchray Castle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aberfoyle
Duchray Castle
Ranked #6 of 9 Aberfoyle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Our stay here was absolutely perfect. I loved the secluded location where all you could see was the beautiful forest and hear the birds chirping. The grounds of the castle were great to wander around and the inside was beautifully updated and restored. The rooms were clean and very nice. It was comfortable and yet still had an air of history. The breakfast in the morning was all local and delicious. The owners were friendly and made sure we had everything we needed to enjoy our time there. I wish we would have stayed longer!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Drew H

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed at Duchray Castle for the first few days of our honeymoon, and actually joined Tripadvisor just to rave about our lovely time spent there. We stayed in the Rob Roy MacGregor honeymoon suite on the top floor of the castle and it was perfect. The room had a beautiful four poster bed, beautifully co-ordinated fabrics with a contemporary Scottish twist and panoramic views of the beautiful grounds. The bathroom with the amazing bath, his and hers sinks and huge shower again made us go WOW!

Before our stay we didn't realise that Frances and Oliver had completely renovated the castle themselves which added even more to it's charm. They have kept the original features and beauty of the building but the addition of their wonderful furnishings gives it a luxurious, up-to date feel. The choice of artwork around the castle by a local artist adds a lovely personal, contemporary touch, as do the Arran Aromatic toiletries in the bathrooms. Breakfast was delicious and Frances took a lot of care and time to make sure we had everything we needed. Having a range of local produce such as jams and yoghurts really added to the experience. Being from Edinburgh we were amazed at how far away from home we felt, it was so peaceful and really is a hidden gem.

Oliver and Frances have added so many lovely personal touches to the castle and every single one adds to the experience- teacakes in the bedrooms, popping my bouquet in a vase whilst we were out and letting us borrow from their collection of DVDs. We felt so welcome and at home. We will be back!

Room Tip: We would definitely recommend the Rob Roy MacGregor room- perfect for honeymoons!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I thought that this would be an interesting experience, and it was....from the forest track drive ...to the silence...to the place itself.
Yes,the rooms are modern,but rather cold on rainy spring days...and when we were the only guests , it was almost like we were an intrusion.
There was no welcome from the owners and no help to find anywhere to eat in the evening apart from directions to the nearest pub...back down that long wet forest road.
Overall, I think you would have to want to.

Room Tip: Be aware that you have to climb a narrow winding concrete staircase to get to any room......and carr...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dzonka
Frances B, Owner at Duchray Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Duchray Castle. I am a sorry you were disappointed by your stay.

I am sorry that you did not feel welcome at Duchary Castle, we pride ourselves in offering a warm welcome and making guests feel comfortable, I am sorry this did not happen for you. The main Castle building is a business, not our home, but is run by our family. We dedicate the majority of the Castle to our guests in the hope that they feel at home and comfortable and that they do not feel they are imposing on someone else's family space. There is a large guest lounge up stairs and only a very small amount of the castle is partially occupied by the family during the day, the business is deliberately structured like this to offer our guests a relaxed sense of home from home. I am sorry if this did not work for you.
I am sorry that a member of the family could not be there to meet you when you arrived - this happens extremely infrequently and only in very exceptional circumstances (maybe a couple of times a year, maximum) but when we can not be in we make sure there is someone there to show you to your room and then we come and meet you as soon as we get there. This will have happened when you stayed. I am sorry if this was disappointing for you.
Regarding the temperature in the room, each bedroom has radiators with individually controlled thermostats on them so guests can control the temperature of the room to something they find comfortable. I am sorry if this was not pointed out to you.
Regarding dinner, we offer to make dinner recommendations and reservations in the confirmation email I sent you, in addition to which there is a folder with a map of local places to eat and sample menus in the lounge and I always offer guests advice about where to dine, give directions and make reservations if required. Megan, who checked you in, got the impression you had expected to dine at the castle - I am sorry but this is by prior arrangement for special occasions. This is stated on our website and implied in the confirmation email when I offer to make dinner arrangements for you.
Regarding our access route into the forest, I am sorry if this caused a problem for you, but again we make this clear on the directions which we issue with our confirmation email, that the access track is not a normal tarmac road, although passable with care in a normal road car. The fact the track was wet the day you arrived really is out of my control - this is the west of Scotland, it rains frequently.
The stone spiral stairs you mention are part of the character and charm of the castle, enjoyed by the majority of our guests. In my experience any guests with mobility concerns ask when booking what the stairs are like, as most people expect stone spiral staircases in 500 year old Scottish castles. Sorry if these came as an unpleasant surprise to you.
I am sorry you had such a disappointing time, I sensed when you were here that you were not impressed, and did everything I could to try to improve your experience at Duchray Castle including doing your laundry for you when you asked me where the nearest laundrette was, leaving you free to enjoy your day rather than hanging about at the laundrette, you had however obviously made up your mind about the place.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Right from the very beginning of the Forest track, until it was time to wave goodbye, we had an exciting, fun, stress free and wonderful experience. I really have to compliment Frances and Oliver for creating not only a beautiful castle, but somehow also making it a welcoming home to share good times with our friends and family. We hired all four bedrooms for the weekend which meant that the large lounge and festive dining hall were also just for us. There was not a thing I could fault, very clean with modern amenities, very comfortable beds, a perfect makeup mirror and a long cord on the hairdryer (lol - thank you!) I loved the fact that there was no cell phone service (it did work in the village though), and hubby was very pleased with the internet availability and speed. Our suggested choice for catering was superior, handled with professionalism and flair. The breakfasts were the best we had in Scotland! Granny never did find the hidden garden, so we'll be back next year to explore more!

Room Tip: All have beautiful views with that countryside quiet, but from the back ones you can see the river...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I glad you had a great weekend here and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

all the best

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The perfect place to relax and catch up with family. Stunning surroundings - the countryside and the Castle grounds where you can walk for hours - absolutely immaculate rooms that are traditional and modern at the same time, and public spaces where you see from the moment you arrive that Frances and Oliver have given so much thought to every conceivable detail. It's Scotland without the über-tartan that most times verges on tacky.
We booked the entire Castle for the weekend. Frances helped organize an outstanding catering company that put together two amazing menus - a really casual family dinner with canapés on Friday and a more formal, but nonetheless relaxed dinner (with even more family who had to stay at a nearby hotel - the Castle regrettably only sleeps eight in spacious rooms that leave nothing to be desired) on Saturday. All against the backdrop of a blazing fire in the Great Hall and, after dinner, in the comfort of the stunning paneled lounge on the first floor.
The fact that the Castle doesn't have a license is actually good - it means you can bring your favorite wines and other beverages with you (and take home any leftovers if there happen to be any!). The Castle provides any glasses you need, and there's a well-stocked supermarket in the village that also sells ice (that you can store in the Castle freezer). Each room also has mp3 players meaning you can also bring music of your choice.
Breakfast cooked to order - with the appropriate selection of locally produced breads, cheeses, jams, yoghurts, porridge and essential fry-up items - and served with as much tea or coffee you can manage.
Charming hosts, equally charming breakfast staff, a brilliant family atmosphere where you feel at home immediately. And where you sort of wish you could own the place - until you browse through the before-and-after photos, after which you're glad that this brilliant couple did all the hard work and deserve the pleasure they clearly get from looking after their guests.
We'll be back for a second-or-more helping.

Room Tip: Highly recommend booking all 4 rooms for a family or friends get-together.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review, I'm so glad you all enjoyed your stay with us. It was really lovely having you and your family at the castle and we are looking forward to seeing you back here again soon.

All the best

Reviewed 17 May 2014

A wonderful experience.We stayed here for one night only in May 2014,but wished we could have stayed longer.It is a unique location tucked away at the end of a logging trail.
The property has been lovingly restored by the owners, Oliver and Frances,who turned out on a wet and raining evening to rescue us when we found ourselves stuck in a ditch.They did this out of kindness and would accept no money for their trouble.We very much look forward to returning.
David & Rita

1  Thank David R

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was no problem at all to come and rescue you, we wouldn't leave you out in the rain stuck in your car!
We look forward to welcoming you back one day.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed at Duchray Castle in April 2014 for a number of reasons firstly because my six year old daughter was learning about castles at school but more importantly perhaps is that we are all Grahams! So a bit like coming home really:-)

All i can say is that everthing that could go right did go right! from the fabulous hospitality of Frances and Oliver to the wonderful en suite rooms for my wife and I and our two children, the wall to wall sunshine all week long and to top it all a snow topped mountain on the horizon in the Glen which my son and daughter especially loved to see each morning. You really are transported here to a bygone age where you can be Laird of the castle but with all mod cons. I agree with many other posts on here which mention the lovely attention to detail of all the fixtures anfd fittings. Did I mention the wonderful River valley and the Flora and Fauna each morning when out walking? Well there all here and a wonder to behold.

So in summary if you need to release your inner knight / King / Laird etc then you should stay here at Duchray Castle!

The Graham Family

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank offshoremind
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberfoyle
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Knockderry House Hotel
Lodge on Loch Lomond
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
#1 of 1 in Port of Menteith
Corrie Glen Bed & Breakfast

Been to Duchray Castle? Share your experiences!