“Absolutely breathtaking!”
Review of Duchray Castle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aberfoyle
Duchray Castle
Ranked #6 of 9 Aberfoyle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Not only was the castle and the castle grounds absolutely stunning but Francis, Oliver and all the staff went above and beyond to make our stay special. My husband and I got married on July 9th and it couldn't have been more perfect. Francis was more than helpful with any questions we had the year leading up to the wedding and even fixed our wedding cake as she wasn't happy with the writing on it when it was delivered. Not only was the entire castle beautifully decorated but the food prepared by Francis was worth every penny spent. We will definitely be coming back here if we ever make it back to Scotland! I would recommend this location to absolutely anyone looking for a stay. Our only regret was not staying longer!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank krissy k
There are newer reviews for Duchray Castle

Reviewed 9 July 2014

A group of us went for a weekend and i have nothing but praise for Francis and her staff. We were made very welcome, the accommodation and breakfast were 1st class. It was a lovely experience and one that i would like to have again.
Thank you to Frances and Oliver and all the staff

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My wife and I got Married at Duchray Castle on the 31 May 2014, we were blessed with fantastic sunny weather and the old castle and the grounds were a perfect background for our photographs. Francis was brilliant from the first email we sent to enquire about having it there, she put us in touch with the local registrar and photographers. We had the ceremony in the room they call the cript and she laid it out in a traditional setting with an aisle, after the ceremony she changed it back around as due to the wedding being only a small affair, she had offered to prepare an evening meal for us all, and I must say she spent the whole Saturday preparing and cooking everything from scratch, then she and her staff served and stayed on until late into the evening to make sure we had everything we needed. The food was amazing......We were fortunate had the entire place to ourselves and our guests and were made to feel at ease with any requests, such as putting our beer, wine and Champagne in the hotel fridges, one of the things we found is that due to not having a licence to sell alcohol we could take what we liked...... and we did. The rooms were fantastic, especially the Rob Roy Macgregor Honeymoon suite. Francis accommodated us with an extra bed in one of the rooms my kids had. All of them had there own special feel to them and they all had great views to look up on. The rooms were spotless, and our bathroom was fantastic. All we can say is that we had a perfect weekend and we can't thank Francis and her team enough on making our day even more special.

Room Tip: The Rob Roy MacGregor suite is a must for those wanting that little bit more special/Romantic feel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Merchantofwraysbury
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Our stay here was absolutely perfect. I loved the secluded location where all you could see was the beautiful forest and hear the birds chirping. The grounds of the castle were great to wander around and the inside was beautifully updated and restored. The rooms were clean and very nice. It was comfortable and yet still had an air of history. The breakfast in the morning was all local and delicious. The owners were friendly and made sure we had everything we needed to enjoy our time there. I wish we would have stayed longer!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Drew H
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed at Duchray Castle for the first few days of our honeymoon, and actually joined Tripadvisor just to rave about our lovely time spent there. We stayed in the Rob Roy MacGregor honeymoon suite on the top floor of the castle and it was perfect. The room had a beautiful four poster bed, beautifully co-ordinated fabrics with a contemporary Scottish twist and panoramic views of the beautiful grounds. The bathroom with the amazing bath, his and hers sinks and huge shower again made us go WOW!

Before our stay we didn't realise that Frances and Oliver had completely renovated the castle themselves which added even more to it's charm. They have kept the original features and beauty of the building but the addition of their wonderful furnishings gives it a luxurious, up-to date feel. The choice of artwork around the castle by a local artist adds a lovely personal, contemporary touch, as do the Arran Aromatic toiletries in the bathrooms. Breakfast was delicious and Frances took a lot of care and time to make sure we had everything we needed. Having a range of local produce such as jams and yoghurts really added to the experience. Being from Edinburgh we were amazed at how far away from home we felt, it was so peaceful and really is a hidden gem.

Oliver and Frances have added so many lovely personal touches to the castle and every single one adds to the experience- teacakes in the bedrooms, popping my bouquet in a vase whilst we were out and letting us borrow from their collection of DVDs. We felt so welcome and at home. We will be back!

Room Tip: We would definitely recommend the Rob Roy MacGregor room- perfect for honeymoons!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I thought that this would be an interesting experience, and it was....from the forest track drive ...to the silence...to the place itself.
Yes,the rooms are modern,but rather cold on rainy spring days...and when we were the only guests , it was almost like we were an intrusion.
There was no welcome from the owners and no help to find anywhere to eat in the evening apart from directions to the nearest pub...back down that long wet forest road.
Overall, I think you would have to want to.

Room Tip: Be aware that you have to climb a narrow winding concrete staircase to get to any room......and carr...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dzonka
Frances B, Owner at Duchray Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Duchray Castle. I am a sorry you were disappointed by your stay.

I am sorry that you did not feel welcome at Duchary Castle, we pride ourselves in offering a warm welcome and making guests feel comfortable, I am sorry this did not happen for you. The main Castle building is a business, not our home, but is run by our family. We dedicate the majority of the Castle to our guests in the hope that they feel at home and comfortable and that they do not feel they are imposing on someone else's family space. There is a large guest lounge up stairs and only a very small amount of the castle is partially occupied by the family during the day, the business is deliberately structured like this to offer our guests a relaxed sense of home from home. I am sorry if this did not work for you.
I am sorry that a member of the family could not be there to meet you when you arrived - this happens extremely infrequently and only in very exceptional circumstances (maybe a couple of times a year, maximum) but when we can not be in we make sure there is someone there to show you to your room and then we come and meet you as soon as we get there. This will have happened when you stayed. I am sorry if this was disappointing for you.
Regarding the temperature in the room, each bedroom has radiators with individually controlled thermostats on them so guests can control the temperature of the room to something they find comfortable. I am sorry if this was not pointed out to you.
Regarding dinner, we offer to make dinner recommendations and reservations in the confirmation email I sent you, in addition to which there is a folder with a map of local places to eat and sample menus in the lounge and I always offer guests advice about where to dine, give directions and make reservations if required. Megan, who checked you in, got the impression you had expected to dine at the castle - I am sorry but this is by prior arrangement for special occasions. This is stated on our website and implied in the confirmation email when I offer to make dinner arrangements for you.
Regarding our access route into the forest, I am sorry if this caused a problem for you, but again we make this clear on the directions which we issue with our confirmation email, that the access track is not a normal tarmac road, although passable with care in a normal road car. The fact the track was wet the day you arrived really is out of my control - this is the west of Scotland, it rains frequently.
The stone spiral stairs you mention are part of the character and charm of the castle, enjoyed by the majority of our guests. In my experience any guests with mobility concerns ask when booking what the stairs are like, as most people expect stone spiral staircases in 500 year old Scottish castles. Sorry if these came as an unpleasant surprise to you.
I am sorry you had such a disappointing time, I sensed when you were here that you were not impressed, and did everything I could to try to improve your experience at Duchray Castle including doing your laundry for you when you asked me where the nearest laundrette was, leaving you free to enjoy your day rather than hanging about at the laundrette, you had however obviously made up your mind about the place.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Right from the very beginning of the Forest track, until it was time to wave goodbye, we had an exciting, fun, stress free and wonderful experience. I really have to compliment Frances and Oliver for creating not only a beautiful castle, but somehow also making it a welcoming home to share good times with our friends and family. We hired all four bedrooms for the weekend which meant that the large lounge and festive dining hall were also just for us. There was not a thing I could fault, very clean with modern amenities, very comfortable beds, a perfect makeup mirror and a long cord on the hairdryer (lol - thank you!) I loved the fact that there was no cell phone service (it did work in the village though), and hubby was very pleased with the internet availability and speed. Our suggested choice for catering was superior, handled with professionalism and flair. The breakfasts were the best we had in Scotland! Granny never did find the hidden garden, so we'll be back next year to explore more!

Room Tip: All have beautiful views with that countryside quiet, but from the back ones you can see the river...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I glad you had a great weekend here and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

all the best
Frances

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberfoyle
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
#1 of 1 in Port of Menteith
Lodge on Loch Lomond

Been to Duchray Castle? Share your experiences!