“Peace”
Review of St. Oran's Chapel

Ranked #5 of 21 things to do in Iona
More attraction details
Owner description: This church, the oldest building on the island, is named after Oran, a convert who was buried alive to sanctify the church grounds.
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Such a simple but overwhelming little chapel. You can feel the weight of 100's years of prayers here and a sense of absolute peace

1  Thank Sue R

Reviewed 5 June 2014

If you are on the Isle, it's worth a turn from the path, dark and evocative. Historically interesting.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We went to this Chapel first and really loved it, it has an old feel that the Abbey just didn't have for us. If there was anywhere we felt the spirituality of the Island, it was here.

1  Thank SherylRussell
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I prefer small to big in all the places I visit, so no surprise that this chapel appealed to me more than the larger impressive abbey. But what the chapel lacks in physical size it more than makes up for in acoustic "largeness". One evening I felt the urge to chant the Kyrie in there, it was a moment of pure heaven for me. When I left, others who had heard the sound were coming to listen themselves and asked if I could chant some more, I was blessed to oblige.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

This site is very interesting from an hstorical prespective and should be visited in concert with the cemetery. I would recommend this visit.