“This is a fabulous place to stay”
Review of Ardoran House

Ardoran House
Ranked #1 of 12 Iona B&B and Inns
Edinburgh
“This is a fabulous place to stay”
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I cannot recommend Ardoran House highly enough. From the warm welcome of Richard, the Manager, to the beautiful china and silver, lovingly set out for dinner, the tranquil setting with an outstanding view, the attention to detail, the delicious food, the comfortable bed.....

I have to say that I do not tend to like B & Bs, but this is not like any other B & B...

Like Richard, it is simply fabulous,,,,

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank hallamfoe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reviewed 4 October 2012

This place is a haven of peacefulness,and homeliness. We found a warm welcome,and nothing was too much trouble. Great attention to detail. Better than anywhere else I've stayed on the island. Greatvalue for money. Great standard of cuisine.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank ingypingy
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Richard, the manager, of Ardoran, formerly inspected Scottish hotels and B&Bs. He has put his knowledge and experience to good use: all the little details that make a huge difference in a traveler's experience are here: the way the rooms are designed, the atmosphere, the way breakfast is served: it's all done to perfection, with charm and grace. A quick phone call and someone picked us up from the ferry and whisked us up the road to the house. Reservations at the local restaurants made before you can turn around. Bath robes and extra towels for the hot tub instantly appeared. A wine or whiskey served in beautiful crystal goblets. I thought I had acquired a magic wand! As another reviewer put it, you feel like a celebrity here, bathed in luxury and pampered with attention. My only sad thought is that Ardoran will very quickly become so popular that it will be impossible to get a reservation, especially May through October. However, Richard will stay open through the winter: so if you can brave a visit to Iona in February, you will find a warm and luxurious welcome at Ardoran!

Room Tip: Every room is great. If you don't get one of the front view rooms, don't worry, the attract...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CarlChristoffer
Missouri, United States
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I have never written a review online but felt I had to after staying at the Ardoran.

This was my 3rd visit to Iona and I am grateful to have found this B&B on this visit; it was as wonderful as the island. As others have mentioned, the view is amazing, the food is exquisite, the rooms and beds comfortable, and the shower was the best I had had in the U.K. The sauna and hot-tub are excellent and helped us relax and feel pampered. Having a drink in the hot-tub while looking up at the stars is the stuff that reminds you why you work all year for holiday. I was completely relaxed and renewed at this B & B.

The key to the place is the owner- Richard. He perfectly balances friendliness and service with professional distance. He was so attentive to our needs and never was bothersome or ove-rbearing. Moreover, he seems to truly enjoy running the B & B and does not act like other owners who make you feel like you're a bother. His attention to the "little" things are what made me feel like a celebrity. For example. I discreetly mentioned that I was an alcoholic on the first day. A few days later, when he brought others in the hot tub glasses of wine, he did not just throw a soda at me but made a fruit juice and served it in a fancy glass. Little, thoughtful acts like that WILL bring me back to the Ardoran.

I cannot recommend this place enough! In my travels to over 30 countries, the Ardoran is the gold standard.

Room Tip: Sea side rooms are great. Watch for the rainbows from the windows.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Will V
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We spent 3 nights on Iona at the beginning of September. From the moment we arrived Richard made us feel extremely welcome. Our room, which was on the back of the house was spacious, very well furnished and immaculaltely clean. The house was built as a B&B and is a perfect place to spend time on the island. It is only a few minutes stroll from the Abbey and all 3 restaurants. Richard serves complimentary afteernoon tea and also a drink before you go out for dinner, both of which were most acceptable and beautifully presented.

If you are going to Iona Ardoran House is the place to stay ! We'll be back.

Room Tip: All the rooms are a very high standard. Don't worry about traffic noise, there isn't any!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Martin G
Nailsworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I feel very privileged to have been married on Iona - from Ardoran House. Our first visit to this glorious gem of a B&B was last August, when we were scoping out the feasibility of an Iona wedding. It was then that manager, the wonderful Richard, metaphorically threw the doors of Ardoran open to us and our family and friends for what proved to be a dream of an island wedding!

Through 12 months of planning and preparations, the Ardoran team couldn't have been more helpful, thoughtful and accommodating. We filled all the rooms with family and friends and the immediate wedding party took over Ardoran's close by self-catering twin, the equally well-appointed Ardbeg.

On the day, the already gracious B&B was transformed into an elegant and intimate wedding reception space; with minute attention to every detail of decoration and floral display. We returned from the service at the Abbey to chilled glasses of champagne and a beautifully decorated marquee. The food featured local seafood, cold meats, salads and fresh baked breads. It was stunningly presented and utterly delicious. You couldn't have enjoyed a better spread in a 5* London wedding venue.

The event ran like clockwork and I didn't have to worry about a thing, as Richard and the rest of the team quietly and professionally managed everything behind scenes. As someone who runs events as part of her professional life, I have pretty exacting standards but I simply can't fault this operation! The wedding guests were utterly enchanted.

Perfect, perfect, perfect - from beginning to end. Thank you to the best host in Scotland, Richard Harrison - as well as to Eilidh, John and Sheila and the rest of the Ardoran/Martyr's Bay team. See you for our anniversary!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kate A
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We came to Iona for one night and found Ardoran to be the perfect place to stay - from the see views, immaculate rooms , great breakfast, superb service and, to top it all the hot tub - with wine served :-D
It made Iona that bit more special.

• Stayed August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iona
Western Isles Hotel
#2 of 5 in Tobermory
Craigrowan
Craigrowan
#2 of 3 in Pennyghael

Been to Ardoran House? Share your experiences!