“Welcoming and peaceful”
Review of Ardoran House

Ardoran House
Ranked #1 of 12 Iona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Stayed in first week July 2013 - a kind and helpful welcome from the minute I had to ring to explain a delay in our travel plans due to train problems. Richard gave helpful advice regarding connections to the bus from the ferry, and said he would have a glass of wine waiting for us. .After a tiring and frustrating journey this was just what we needed to hear. I have to say this is the best place I have ever stayed in terms of welcome, atmosphere, comfort and peaceful and restful surroundings. Great breakfasts also! Lovely hearing the sound of the sea in bed at night. Sea view from the room is beautiful. Thank you Richard.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank loveturkeyYorkshire

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I'm a frequent B&B goer and this is the first time I have ever felt the need to seek out the opportunity to write a review. And delighted to discover that "Classy B&B, a cut above the rest" by Thedragon22 and "NO ordinary B&B" by maryloudean perfectly describe what I had planned to write about Ardoran House. This oasis of tranquility begs for return visits.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CAtoNOVA
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Not usually a BnB goer. I found this place quite good. The host was very nice and helpful. There was adequate privacy and the accommodation was very comfortable. Breakfast was very good. Did not have much time to enjoy the establishment nor Iona, but enjoyed the stay.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Regular readers of my travels will know that I don't give out a 5 rating too often and rarely for b&bs unless they really merit it however this one ticks all the boxes and compares with the best of the UK.

Very classy establishment more akin to something out of home and interiors magazine no attention to detail has been spared. About 5 to 10 mins from the pier the rooms are large with great showers and most facilities. The hot tub and sauna are great and the owner is happy to supply you with a glass of wine or something stronger if required.

Purpose built and it shows. On the pricy side however this is Iona and if you want a comfortable stay this is the place. Obviously ask for a sea view !

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Thedragon22
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I agree totally with previous reviewers. The house is calm,comfortable, beautifully decorated and situated just yards from the sea. Richard looked after us extremely well and the breakfasts were fantastic - including the best black pudding I've ever had ! Wish we could have stayed much longer. I can't imagine a better place to stay on this beautiful island.

Room Tip: Our room faced the sea but we would have been just as happy looking inland at the beautiful scenery.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank maryloudean
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Stayed two nights at the Ardoran house while visiting Iona. House is absolutely beautiful and I wish I'd had more time to spend enjoying the common areas. Room was quite large, bed was extremely comfortable, and the shower was excellent. Excellent WiFi reception.

Richard was a kind and gracious host and took excellent care of me both days, including helping me find the house when I took a wrong turn. (House is along the coast due left from where you get off the ferry.) Should I return to Iona I will definitely stay with him again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Steve R
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We stayed at the Ardoran House for just one night while visiting Scotland. The Ardoran is a beautiful house, right on the waterfront. It is tastefully, but simply, decorated and it evokes the beautiful hues of the Isle of Iona. The bedrooms are spotless and fully appointed. The beds are very comfortable and the en-suite bathroom is larger than expected. We had a superb, fresh breakfast that was cooked perfectly to order - including a special request for scrambled egg whites! The eggs are collected daily from the chickens in the yard - can't get any fresher than that! The house has two common areas - a very inviting common room with huge overstuffed couches and chairs and a beautiful sunroom where you can relax behind the many windows - rain or shine. Although we did not take advantage of them, the place has a sauna and a hot-tub for guest use. The location allows for easy walks to the town and the main historic sites on the island. We had just a short time to visit Iona. Although we planned to stay for two days we ended up leaving early due to various circumstances. Richard, the host and manager of the Ardoran House, was so gracious and helped us find accommodation on Mull. We highly recommend Ardoran House for anyone visiting Iona.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front of the house face the water - gorgeous view and lovely lapping of the waves.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tine_beck
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iona
Tiree Lodge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Iona
Argyll Hotel
Argyll Hotel
#1 of 2 in Iona

Been to Ardoran House? Share your experiences!