“Good value, great environment!”
Review of Iona Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Iona
Iona Hostel
Canton, Ohio
“Good value, great environment!”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The hostel is located a beautiful, quiet walk away from the busyness of the Abbey. It is located by a secluded beach. I would highly recommend this hostel! (FYI, I did not realize the rooms were mixed). You may want to bring earplugs, as people obviously wake up at all different times.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Taichung, Taiwan
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Perfect place for some headspace and fresh air. Stayed here for a week in November - all weathers: sunshine, rainbows, showers and hail. The location is unbeatable. The sea is visible from the living area, and there are no buildings nearby, which makes you feel connected to the island without ever stepping outdoors. I was amazed to find functioning wifi (though it's advised to use this in your rooms as part of an admirable low-fi policy), hot radiators, even hotter showers, and eco-principles throughout. Everything is clean, simple and welcoming, staffed by friendly volunteers and the lovely owner John (plus Scruffy the dog). The island itself is unique and has to be lived to be believed. I'd encourage anyone to come, although I must admit that I loved the off-season quiet of the place and wouldn't have been too keen on the bustle of summer. Still, for the price it's great value and the soul of it is spot on.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank theChaiGirl
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stayed as part of a large group and we basically took over the whole place for a week. It was Quite a week and will be with me Forever! I was reassured at the quality of the place from the wee video clip and it is even better in real life. The beds were comfy and clean and the rooms were bright and airy and cosy. There were Plenty of showers and toilets for all and even a wee drying room (although we were very blessed with good weather.) The staff were Superb and kept the place looking smashing. We did our own cooking and washing and the facilities were great, I really liked the kitchen, dinning area and living space all together. The views were gorgeous and then there was the beach... I managed to get the beach all to myself each morning and it was Sheer Sheer heaven, peaceful, blissful healing. This was my first visit to Iona and I'd Love to rush back Right now!!! )And to see the dolphins again!!!) It's a Very special island and I am grateful to have had the opportunity to have visited it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 October 2013

me and my sister had a nice stay at Iona Hostel. The Rooms were clean and I like how they take care about nature! Near the Hostel is a wonderful beach with white sand and very colorfull stones!
The only thing is that you have to walk for like half an hour from the Port to the Hostel. But on the other hand you get a good price for the bed and you can cook for yourself.

Room Tip: Trie to have a two bed room!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My Friend & I stayed here for 2 days last month for a quick break. After a lovely drive north, making more than a few stops along the way at the many wonderful artist and craft stores along the way. We booked the small twin room which was great, especially as my friend hadn't stayed in Hostel before. It was clean, well provided and beautiful maintained inside. With a wealth of tourist information available at your fingertips and really friendly and helpful staff around, you can wring the most out of any trip. But I was most impressed with the washrooms, there was more than enough to go round they where clean and large and I had no qualms about using them, which I can't say about many of the other hostels I've stayed in.

Room Tip: I would recommend the twin room. It better than some of the hotels I've stayed in.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank papercrane0
Scotland
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I had hoped this hostel would be isolated and at the end of the island, as stated and was not disappointed. The walk from the ferry passing the landmarks such as the Abbey and the Community Shop all built up to arriving at the hostel. What a fabulous place. I had not stayed in a hostel for 30 years and can honestly say that this is a hostel for everyone. What a mixture of ages and nationalities, walkers, cyclists and people just looking for relaxation, and a lovely group of staff. Fantastic lounge/kitchen/diner - I loved it! Comfy rooms and more than enough bathrooms with hot showers. I will be back for sure. The best short break I have ever had.

Room Tip: There is one private twin room which is worth booking well in advance, if you are travelling as two...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank OutofSeasonScotland
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Right at the top of the island away from it all but still only a 15 min walk from the ferry, this hostel has to rank as one of the best I've seen for location and facilities. The lounge-cum-dining room benefits from cosy seating and huge windows from which to enjoy the views: the beach is literally a 2 min stroll away and has to be one of the most beautiful, deserted white sand beaches that does not put you at risk of being mugged.
On a practical front, there are lots of bathrooms. TIP: use the bathroom nearest reception if late or very busy. It tends to have a better supply of hot water.
As with all hostels....pray you don't get a snorer in with you: a sweet middle-aged dear but once asleep....give me a snorting warthog any day!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Indie-Brindie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iona
Western Isles Hotel
#3 of 4 in Isle of Eigg
Craigrowan
Craigrowan
#2 of 3 in Pennyghael

Been to Iona Hostel? Share your experiences!