“A great tour with Dave”

Dave's Hebridean Archaeological Tours
Ranked #4 of 10 Tours in Isle of Lewis
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Personal Guided tours of Lewis and Harris for the Single Traveller, Couple, Family or Group of Friends Max 6 People. Tours are conducted by a resident Archaeologist/Guide in a Land Rover Defender 110. Pick up point & drop off point by arrangement from Accommodation, Airport, Ferry or Yacht. The Itinerary for Your customised tour is based upon Your personal interests and fitness. (sorry no pets)
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We arranged a 4 hour tour with Dave by Email, the amount of time available from a brief cruise ship stop. As it turned out we only had 3 ½ hours, but even in that short time saw much more than we would have seen with one of the organized tours from the ship. Dave was an extremely knowledgeable guide about the ancient artifacts on the island as well as being very good company. In between visits to archeological sites we were treated to interesting information about recent and current life on the island. You won’t go wrong with Dave.
John Hitchcock, Toronto

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I am interested in neolithic and bronze age prehistory. I had a great time with Dave. Just marvellous. I cannot recommend him too much. He knows his stuff and he is fun to be with.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

As I did my preliminary research for my trip to Lewis, I knew that I was interested in seeing the Callanish stones, but I really didn't have any sense of the archaeological importance of the island. When I visited Dave's website and asked him for suggestions on a full day tour of the island, he was very prompt in responding and made excellent suggestions.

He picked me up at my hotel in Stornoway and provided an excellent cultural, historical and archeological tour of the island. He has a wealth of knowledge and curiosity about the land and the people--in addition to his immense archeological expertise. It is clear that he is passionate about helping others understand what is so unique about Lewis.

I would highly recommend Dave's tours to anyone who wishes to experience the many interesting facets of the Hebrides. When we visit as a family next year, we will contact Dave again and ask him to give us another custom tour.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Dave Rocks! As a solo senior traveller with a life long passion for archaelogy, stone circles and understanding past history, finding and doing two tours with Dave was one of the highlights of my trip. Dave paced the trip to my fitness and interests. He was also able to meet me at Stornaway airport, and we commenced our tour from there, which is great for orientating to a new place, and drop me at my accomodation in Callanish. Day two started from there and covered more in return to Stornaway. I can't wait to read Daves published works for the knowledge and research, he has is immense. He is kind, courteous, and interesting, I thouroughly recomend his tours to everyone who wants an undertaning of the Hebrides.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My daughter and I booked a private 2-day tour with Dave in mid-July to explore beautiful Harris and Lewis for the first time. I cannot say enough for what a wonderful time we had with Dave! He worked with me ahead of time, via email, to determine what eras of history, specific sites, and themes we were interested in focusing and then tailored our days to us. Perhaps even better was conversations on the way to each location, as Dave is extremely knowledgeable of both the history and current living on the isle and a pure delight, personally! Day one, he met us just off the Tarbert ferry and took us on a full tour of Harris including megaliths, a Mesolithic midden and Viking ruin, beautiful beaches, St. Clement's church, the moonscape of the eastern side of the isle, and a visit to a Harris Tweed retail and yardage shop (at our request!). Dave's provided contextual information about each site, along with varying theories for archeological finds and historical curiosities (check out St. Clement's with him!) enhanced being in the space of each place we visited. Day one ended with him returning us to our car. He then gave us directions to our guest house on Lewis and guided us through southern Lewis to our main turn-off, stopping to show various sites, including the Cailleach na Mointeach!

Day two, Dave picked us up at our guest house for a full day of exploring northern Lewis. We lingered at the Callanis 1-4 stone circles--Dave was great about staying at each location as long as we wished. We also visited the Norse Mill, the Butt of Lewis lighthouse, the Arnol blackhouses, St. Moulag's church, the huge megalith on the north end, a Neolithic quartz quarry, etc. Along the way, Dave showed us how to identify crofting land; explained the arrangement, locations, and connection between different stone circles and individual stones; where to visit a local Harris weaver on a subsequent day; and how to see the current landscape and villages in tandem with the past. He also provided ample cold water throughout both days and arranged a reservation for us to have lunch at a local pub on our full day out and about. Our two days touring with Dave set the tone for our two-week visit to the Hebrides and Argyll. The wealth of information he shared with us in conversation and stories continues to be brought into our retelling of our experiences a month later! I even discussed with Dave bringing future groups to the Outer Hebrides, and he offered optional ideas and suggestions that prove very helpful. Additionally, he sent bibliographic information for sources connected to our tours and discussions that continue to further my own reflection on the Outer Hebrides, its history, and its people.

If you want a thorough, tailored-to-your-interests, and delightful exploration of Lewis/Harris, I cannot recommend Dave more highly. I look forward to the next time we can work together!