“Great food”

Ranked #18 of 74 Restaurants in Isle of Lewis
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed nearby in a b and b for 4 nights and without driving into tarbert this was our closest alternative. Great food, well cooked. We had the fresh fish every night (mackerel, herring, salmon) and always good. The service can be a bit chaotic and it's best to call to reserve a table as they have limited capacity in the kitchen. The local waitresses were great. Limited choice of beer but usually have some local stuff in bottles.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Having been here before and had a couple of reasonable starter (smoked salmon and oatcakes) We decided to drop in for lunch and have fish and chips.

Firstly - I asked for potatoes - not chips, this didnt filter through to the kitchen and as we had our dogs with us - I didnt want to wait for my plate to be replaced.

The fish on both plates was awful, damp greasy batter, loaded with oil.Chips werent really much better. We barely ate half of it. No-one approached us at any point to ask how the food was - despite only one other couple being there. When we mentioned it as we were getting ready to pay - no apology was offered. We were just looked at as if we were being deliberately awkward. We paid and left. I had really bad heartburn that afternoon as a result of this meal

To put it in context, being dog people, we would normally save a little treat for our pups from whatever we were having - not this time.

Needless to say - we wont be back.

As my title says - the best thing about the place is the lovely collie,

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This was the only pub near to us which we frequented during our holidays. Good choice of home made meals and the young ladies were very helpful.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is a friendly pub, with a nice atmosphere and good food. The interior is old fashioned and it is not haute cuisine, but good quality pub grub with some excellent local ingredients. I particularly enjoyed the local hand dived scallops, which are fried with bacon and onions and served with chips. I'm not sure what the masterchef judges would think of that, but I thought it was delicious!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

First of two meals - langoustine was very good but my second meal of liver & bacon was average. Understand that hotel is for sale so check before you visit.