“Dont do the tourist route”
Review of Ben More

Ranked #26 of 56 things to do in Isle of Mull
More attraction details
Owner description: Scenic mountain popular with hikers for the breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside seen from its peak.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The route straight up and down from the shore at Dhseig is tedious although you will still get the views and achievement. The best route, in my opinion, is up Glen Fhada to A Chioc if you have a head for heights. Not for the faint hearted but can be completed as a circular route then. I wouldnt reccommend descending from Ben More onto A Chioc (forgive my guess at how to spell this hills name) Its too steep.

All reviews
"isle"
"mull"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Great hike for all ages and abilities, doable in a day and stunning views. Make sure you bring waterproofs as it's quite cold at the top!

1  Thank goldsmiths8989
Reviewed 1 May 2014

There are various routes up Ben More (the arête to the East looks great) but I took what I suspect was the most popular route: from the North. There is plenty of parking on the road's verge and the walk is initially very pleasant as it follows the stream up the lower mountain slopes. After a couple of kms, you cross and leave the stream and head up the middle (a mixture of grass & rocks) and upper (mainly consolidated scree) slopes. When you stop to catch your breath, the views over the Isle of Ulva and the north of Mull are amazing. The views from the top (a fairly large and flat plateau) do not disappoint either, and were made even more spectacular for the snow patches which were clinging onto the sheltered NE face.

6  Thank Nigel J
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We drove around seeing this amazing mountain from all sides and it was breathtaking - so many waterfalls to spot

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 October 2013

On my trip to Mull, a group of friends and me all decided to climb Ben More, the highest North Westerly Munroe there is. We walked it on a very calm, warm day and there was not a cloud in site.
As you start the climb there is an arrow pointing in to the air that says 'UP' and it means it! The first mile or so up is leg-stretchingly steep. We stopped at the stream beside us,which we were following to the summit, to fill our water bottles. The water was clear and almost turquoise. My friend managed to collect a frog in his water bottle accidentally when filling it up but realised it had caught a lift before we started up the next bit of the hill!
As we climbed, the clear blue skies became cloudless again and we could see over Mull and Iona for MILES! It was truelove spectacular.
It must of took us about three and a half hours to climb all the way to the summit, (but we did stop to eat our peanut butter and banana sandwiches half way up).
When you do finally get to the top, the sights are breathtaking (literally! it was so windy and the air was so dense being so high we could hardly breath!!!)
It took us another two hours ago to descend from the summit and to get back to our little mini bus parked at the very bottom of the hill!
Thats my second Munroe under my belt :) A fantastic day out!

3  Thank longbeans523