“Hospitality- Literally!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester England
“Hospitality- Literally!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

First time I've booked lunch in a hospital! We were a group of eight and an hour late but accommodated without any adverse comment. Service was very good and food was adequate and fairly priced for the standard of hotel. Didn't stay over so can't comment on their room standards. If they're as good as the rest of the hotel then they'll be very good! Rack rates for the rooms were reasonable for Glasgow.

On the downside, you are in a hospital campus. So forget the 300 parking spaces - you will struggle to park.

Although standards were good, the campus environment and lack of parking would lead me elsewhere next time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mike Arran

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Was here on business. Didn't know what to make of it initially, given that it's part of a hospital complex. What a change when you enter the hotel! Luxury every step of the way. Lovely roomy room, great hotel facilities, excellent meal and breakfast. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Colin S
Merseyside, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

After a lifetime of consumer journalism and writing, I'm now also a conference organiser, and chose the Beardmore and its Auditorium by recommendation. It was an inspired choice. Although this hotel/conference centre began its life as a private hospital and relatives' hotel, it's now an American style hotel and spa. And it shows. The thing about US hotels is the sense of space, and here you have it in abundance as the ground floor overlooks the Clyde and is an open flowing and wonderfully stylish space. The bedrooms, too, have that same vibe.

But that's not what makes the Beardmore. It's a product of its staff and their commitment, and although this is the latest of over a dozen conferences I've set up over the last three years, this is head and shoulders above any others. It has warmth.

The organisation of the conference was seamlessly efficient, but warm and flexible. The catering was unbelievably good, with home-cooked goodies, and scored a 5 (outstanding) on every one of our 250 evaluation sheets, and this is the first time this has ever happened.

Nothing was too much trouble, and everything was above expectations. We (the organisers and speakers) had bowls of fruit in our rooms. Front of house sorted all our problems with kindly ease.

Yes, it's not in the city centre, but is very close and accessible via the railway link, on the banks of the Clyde and peaceful. And it's worth it. There's a wonderful spa, a restaurant to die for, and a friendliness that money can't buy.

This is the best conference venue that we've ever found - and one of the best hotels, too!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Drbeaj
beardmoreGlasgow, Manager at Golden Jubilee Conference Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Drbeaj

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel & Conference Centre following your recent conference with us.

We are absolutely delighted that you feel this is one of the best conference and hotel venues you've used and your positive comments will be shared with all our staff. We greatly appreciate your feedback.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

With best wishes.
Okehampton
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I booked here for a number of reasons:
They were the only ones that replied to my email asking about transport to Glasgow Airport;
it was close to bus and railway;
it had a pool and gym facilities;
I was curious after reading the mixed reviews;
I work for the NHS.

It was far easier to get to from the railway station at Dalmuir than looked on the map. The drive is about a third of the journey. The bus stop was about 2/3 from the hotel than the railway station. The bus to the airport was the McGills 757 service that advised a day pass which was cheaper than a single to the airport and was less than £4. It took about 40 minutes.

There is plenty of parking - not applicable to my situation - and a grand entrance. The only negative (and this was overall) was the evidence of smoking outside the entrance.

Reception were very helpful and efficient. Facilities are signposted.

My room was superb, comfortable and had a side view of the Clyde. The gym also had a side view but facing Glasgow, so doing cardio meant opportunities watching planes or a ship passing by. The health suite facilities were clean and provided towels and lockers (you need a pound coin to activate, but reception had already told me). The pool was at the end of the block so had 3 views of the Clyde.

I had brought food so didn't use the dining areas, but on passing them, they looked inviting.

I loved my bed and managed 7.5 hours - unheard of recently - and a text to my phone was what woke me up. I always put towels down by the door to stop light from the corridor disturbing me, but it was well carpeted so noise didn't affect me at all.

I appreciated the teapot, the smellies, the towels and the Apple Mac, the environment, but mostly the sense of being looked after. The same receptionist checked me out, remembered the comments I had made and had noted my going for a walk to check the bus timetable.

I left wanting to promote this hotel, and in view of the access to the airport, the city and the north, I would recommend it and hope to use it myself as a base in the future. It was a super end to a fabulous wedding weekend with family.

Room Tip: It was a busy weekend but noise didn't affect me. I was in room 345.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Dawn

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Beardmore following your recent stay with us.

We were delighted to see your comments and also that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, particularly the sense of being looked after.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to the Beardmore Hotel in the future.

With best wishes.
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Myself and the Mrs were attending a family wedding in April 2014.

First thing to say is that this hotel is wonderfully odd due to the fact that it is connect directly to an NHS Hospital. Apparently it was built along with the hospital as a private facility for wealthy Arabs to stay in while they recieved private medical care. Sounds weird and as you drive up it is a little odd but it is no more than an interesting nuance. Once you go through the doors you would never know you are connected to a Hospital so dont let it put you off.

The rooms are spacious and clean with lovely views depending on where you are. I also had with me my mum and dad who require a special access room and it was HUGE with walk-in shower which was perfect. The restaurants are great also. We arrived at 22:30 with the restaurant shutting at 22:00. However the staff were happy to whip up what we wanted and bring it either into the lounge for us or to our room. Nice selection of food and staying there for 4 nights we weren't bored by the selection. The health club was nice enough. Not amazing if your used to going to a Gym or Health Spa but it does the job of providing a relaxing swim, sauna and steam room with reasonable Gym (not that we used the Gym!)

By far the best thing about this Hotel were the staff. We had a couple of issues with room service but i am not going to go into the detail of what they were. They were simple small things and to be honest they are not a fair relfection of the great service from the Hotel. The reason i mention them AT ALL is that sometimes you learn more about the staff and service when something goes wrong than when you have plain sailing. Each and every time we had a little bump the staff were more than eager to do anything to put it right. They responded very very quickly, did not quibble over even minor annoyances and did all they could to resolve them. They went way out of their way to make our stay enjoyable and were by far the most friendliest staff i have encountered in a Hotel. I cant remember names but the lovely lady on reception on Monday morning (today) who let my wife borrow her extension (you know who you are!) you were brilliant and thanks for putting up with us.

So in short, not a luxury hotel but definitely worth it!

Room Tip: Ask for a King Room if you get the chance, its definitely worth it
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Cannot recommend the dining experience more. Dinner was excellent, bruschetta, risotto, slow beef. Breakfast fresh with plenty of choice. Unfortunately had a very uncomfortable bed which was reported and staff said they would attend but no sleep had! Staff very pleasant and helpful. Well worth a stay if the hospital is on your radar.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Gary R, Manager at Golden Jubilee Conference Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear agnes2golf,

Many thanks for taking the time to feedback following your recent stay.

May I take the opportunity to apologise that the bed within your room was not comfortable and for your poor sleep experience. We are in the process of on-going replacement of beds and I am sorry that your bed was not more comfortable.

I hope that this will not deter you from considering staying with us again in the future.

Yours sincerely
Gary Rice
Hotel Manager
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This hotel is very large and as other Reviews mention, shares the site with an NHS Hospital. But there is plenty of car-parking space (all free of charge) and good views and short walks around the site. The rooms are spacious and clean, with all amenities and ours included plenty of storage space, including a desk and Mac TV/computer with about 27 Freeview channels. The facilities include pool etc., but we didn't avail of those as our visit was mainly to the City, but the food we did have at the hotel was very good. The staff are all friendly and welcoming, another plus point when so far out of the city! The only downside in my view is its location quite a way from Glasgow City Centre so a car is essential, particularly at week-ends when rail/bus transport may not be so frequent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clydebank
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
Knockderry House Hotel
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Golden Jubilee Conference Hotel? Share your experiences!